+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Application

macdan

3D Application

What is the best 3D application for OSX

2. The Following User Says Thank You to macdan For This Useful Post:

dubhead
    Well i think and suggest Maxon Cinema4D for Mac. But of course thats a totally new Ballpark if you come from "2D".

Junior Member insane014 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Cinema 4D is the best for intro to 3D. It's really straight forward and it really compliments Adobe package. If you are a graphic designer and need little 3D elements and basic modeling I think C4D is a way to go.

If you are into animation and character rigs then maybe Maya. Maya and 3D Max feature awesome third party render support as well. I was never into character animation so I never bothered with Maya.

If you are into VFX I suggest you learn Houdini. I started with C4D and then went into Houdini right away. In Houdini you can model, animate and do VFX out of the box like rigid objects, fluids, fumes, fire and on top of it all you can do compositing so you don't need to learn Nuke or Fusion if you are not familiar with them. Its kind of a total package for VFX artist but it has a steep learning curve. It's node based so it's always a plus in my book.

Well knows setups for specialties:

Flames, fumes, smoke: 3D Max + FumeFX + Krakatoa

Fluid simulation: Realflow or NAIAD

Industrial design: Autodesk Alias Automotive (it comes bundled with awesome Sketchbook Pro vector app, if you are into drawing you should check it out)

Image compositing: Nuke or Fusion (Win, Linux only). Pretty much node based Photoshop but it can do video compositing as well and much more advanced 3D capabilities than Photoshop like creating shaders, world mapping, volumetric lights, etc. I find myself retouching and color grading images in those apps as much as in Photoshop

3D Rendering: Keyshot Pro. All those pretty car photos you see as well as watches and jewelry are 3D models indeed just rendered in Keyshot with applied HDRI environment

HDRI: HDRI Light Studio

5. The Following User Says Thank You to insane014 For This Useful Post:

Junior Member Lemond will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    For Mac there are not much 3D Programms. Why not using Bootcamp, and install Windows 7 - 64 Bit on a second partition. Than you can use almost "anything" available.

You can look for Mac on Maya 2012 SP1, or for Modelling Mudbox 2012,Topogun or 3D Coat. But it really depends, what you wanna achieve.

Junior Member hudirocker is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    just install windows 7 at 2nd partition :D

Donor RayTrace77 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'd say 3D Studio Max but I don't believe you can get it for Mac, Cinema 4D seems to definitely have the buzz around mac's but don't forget there is also Maya, I used 3DS Max 95% of the time and mix it up with MudBox and a few other apps when needed.

jabor

best for you

friend
    maya & Houdini are node base program and use for big project studios. best for you is luxology modo is that true way for designer with good feature . starta , cinema 4d is level down of modo.

I'm working in Maya about 8 years for many studios i find out modo is new feature and the best. i hear that modo for Previous team of newtek lightwave producer.

jabor

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jabor For This Useful Post:

GoodStuff
    As said it depends on what in general you want to achieve..

- Cinema 4D is great (if not the best) for Motion Graphics, it also incorporates great with After Effects out of the box;
    - ZBrush; really a must to at least have a look at, it's really ground breaking and has a more artist approach to 3D.
    - Maya, great all-rounder-'studio' approach to a lot in the 3D field.

Cheers

Donor nightshade is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

3d

definitly zbrush it's great just remember to use with a wacom
    For the rest luxology modo

zicka
    check out sketchup its very simple

14. Your ad here

DMT
    Junior Member DMT is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    To work as independant graphist, LightWave & Cinema 4D are good packs.
    To find a job in a big team, you need to learn Maya or 3DS Max.

I'm working with LightWave since 4.0 release.
    It's a good solution for printed 3D graphics.
    - Very efficient modeler
    - Powerfull solution for very high resolution render
    - Good pipeline to produce animations very quickly

No matter the pack you choose, the time you spend with your software make the difference!
    Instead of print buisness, there is no "photoshop" in 3D.
    Nobody can say "my 3D pack is the best"... there is no "best pack", just beautiful apps

NJM
    Junior Member NJM is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Luxology - Modo

Modo is prob the best bet. Very easy to use, advanced and has Pack kit for development of packaging.

Banned frenchsurfing is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I tried them all... Easiest to learn is cinema 4D.
    Ton of youtube tutorials. If you take the time to go thru a few tut. You'll get the hang of it in no time.

I'm a long time 3d studio max fan. This was the easiest for to learn on my own, it just made sense and i got my head around it pretty easily, but i got tired of rebooting my mac under windows, so i switched to cinema 4d and after a small learning curve, i like it. If you have VRAY, you'll get similar rendering result from both.

Maya is tough for me... Too much of a learning curve.
    Modo is pretty cool now that i know 4d but coming from 3dmax it was tough for me to get around it so i don't recommend unless you already know maya or 4d.

Again, my point of view is all due to coming from having more experience with 3dmax.

Junior Member Rajudyog is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Boom barrier, Boom barriers, Automatic gate opener manufacture in Bangalore India

[URL="http://www.rajudyog.com/"]We are manufacturers and supplier of Boom barrier, Boom barriers, Automatic gate opener, Automatic barrier, Automatic door opener and Automatic gate since 1990 across India.[/URL]

Banned paralyys is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Rhino

Rhino - as it is still in beta it is free to use.
    Autodesk fusion 360 beta was free up to now, they'll roll the shiping version out in september.
    Keyshot for rendering.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast