+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When ge.tt gets flaky

Member grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks

When ge.tt gets flaky

ge.tt is used by a lot of uploaders as it normally offers a convenient and hassle-free experience without any bullshit wait times or captchas. Unfortunately, the web interface sometimes goes belly-up and it takes time to get fixed.

Luckily, there's a way to access ge.tt downloads by accessing their api directly. Any ge.tt link can be transformed into a direct api url in a couple of simple steps:
    1. Locate the unique folder identifier string. This is pretty obvious, it's the gibberish string in the middle of the url. E.g. the identifier for http://ge.tt/3rtL7I12/v/0?c is 3rtL7I12.
    2. Locate the file identifier. This is usually 0, but may be another number if the poster has uploaded a number of files into the same 'folder' on ge.tt's system.
    3. Slot these strings into the api url. The basic form is:
      Code:
      Only the registered members can see the download links/content. please Register to gain full access.
      So the api url for
      Code:
      Only the registered members can see the download links/content. please Register to gain full access.
      would be
      Code:
    4. Now just open that url in your browser and you will download the file directly.
    Last edited by grakkle; 10-15-2014 at 12:57 PM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to grakkle For This Useful Post:

Senior Member linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,080 Times in 434 Posts
    Hidden Block (you must be registered and have 1 posts):
    You do not have sufficient rights to see the hidden data contained here.
    Les jours tristes

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to linkgreencold For This Useful Post:

Member grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    There are a couple of potential problems with posting the api link directly.

First, hosting services generally prefer you to go through their web portal - it gives them a chance to sell membership, etc. Since ge.tt are bearing the cost of the hosting and bandwidth, and doing so without making free users jump through hoops, I think they deserve a chance to recoup some of their costs.

Second, there's a chance that ge.tt will change the format of their api. This would mean the web link would still work, but any posted api links would be broken. I don't think this is very likely, but it's certainly possible. Posting the web link is the safest option for links that you want to last.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to grakkle For This Useful Post:

Senior Member linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,080 Times in 434 Posts
    So there are risks like that, then I'll pay attention.
    Honestly I'm not sure, but I never worried about the api link, the reason I do so because I saw some mods (swit for example) use the api link for his release since last year and I prefer that way, as I've never had problem with his uploads.

Thanks for your info grakkle
    Les jours tristes

8. The Following User Says Thank You to linkgreencold For This Useful Post:

Junior Member PetarOnline is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Finally found the answer to the question. Ive had some trouble with downloading files from the forum today.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PetarOnline For This Useful Post:

Member theraabbot will become famous soon enough theraabbot will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

ge.tt problems

Quote Originally Posted by PetarOnline View Post
    Finally found the answer to the question. Ive had some trouble with downloading files from the forum today.
    Hi Everyone

I must say I have had lots of trouble using ge.tt, almost every week it is down for me, I can't upload or download anything, often I simply have to wait a while for it to come back up, I've been using mediafire in the mean time.

Has anyone got any ideas why the site falls over so often - is it because of the server load? I've been to their Twitter and Facebook, no problems are ever indicated?

I often get this:

Thoughts?

Senior Member Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 356 Posts
    Although Ge.tt is so convenient for uploaders and downloaders (no ads), its server is so weak, usually gets down and affects many users, that's why I haven't used it, you guys should prefer other hosts such as mega.co, pcloud, mediafire (maybe) etc.
    If you have problem with my links, PM me.

Senior Member Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,812 Times in 323 Posts
    Thank you very much, did not know I could be done so now will result much easier and faster to.

Junior Member jimmypeach is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Is there any search engine for Ge.tt?

Banned weareuseless is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Hidden Block (you must be registered and have 3 posts):
    You do not have sufficient rights to see the hidden data contained here.

16. Your ad here

17. The Following User Says Thank You to weareuseless For This Useful Post:

Junior Member jimmypeach is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by weareuseless View Post
    *** hidden content ***
    Excellent thanks a million!

Banned NorthNode is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Here is a short regex snippet for easy batch renaming these URLs.

Search:
    Code:
    Replace:
    Code:
    Use a good text editor for this. Like TextMate, Smultron, Sublime Text or TextWrangler.
    Note: The syntax above works in TextMate, but might need some minor alternations for other programs.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NorthNode For This Useful Post:

Banned stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    Apparently this is helpful, hope it works thanks.

+ Reply to Thread