+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WF (Webfont) Rips

deejayz

re WF (Webfont) Rips

The poster may not even know they are such.
    Last edited by deejayz; 11-21-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Moderator swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,527 Times in 702 Posts
    We can't force members to mention if their shares are WF (Webfont) rips. As you mention it, people may not know it.

For me personnally, i always added WF to my posts, when it was my own rips, and i encourage every o-n-e to always provide the maximum informations to posts.

Swit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to swit For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 356 Posts
    I just collect and collect if I love it, so I don't know much about WF RIP, how can I know it's RIP or it's original?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Asian For This Useful Post:

Junior Member Jeldo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    If font is on MyFonts.com there is Tech Specs tab, under which you can find information about glyph count and file size. If font file size is much smaller than it should be it's probably a wf-rip with missing glyphs.

In illustrator you can use glyphs panel to see the available glyphs, from which o-n-e can count the glyphs font has and compare it with myfonts specs.

Linux has 'otfinfo' command which can also be useful. I use it to print available glyphs into a text file. Then count the lines form that file and thats your glyph count.

But (there is always but) as far as i know web rips can contain all glyphs and be just as good as the original. No need to frown on web rips unless the glyphs you need are missing.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeldo For This Useful Post:

Senior Member TypeCaster has a reputation beyond repute TypeCaster has a reputation beyond repute TypeCaster has a reputation beyond repute TypeCaster has a reputation beyond repute TypeCaster has a reputation beyond repute TypeCaster has a reputation beyond repute TypeCaster has a reputation beyond repute TypeCaster has a reputation beyond repute TypeCaster has a reputation beyond repute TypeCaster has a reputation beyond repute TypeCaster has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,395 Times in 197 Posts

Rips and demos

Has already been said in this thread, is not possible to control what the user put on the forum. But I'll always think because we're type users and devotees, we should know what to upload.

Personally I've always check (most of the time) the fonts in my collection.

I use FontLab to see within, and get to know what I have there.

Sometimes the font is a conversion (mostly from Type 1 or TrueType to OpenType) and they only have something around 250 glyphs.

In other cases, the font is a demo and only contains a fraction of the glyphs.

When the fonts are web rips, it a little different. Sometimes it's a complete or reasonable extract, or as it happens in some cases, a limited extract.

Whatever the case, it would be useful to mention in the thread the kind of web rip is, and not complete when the font is official. Also the demos should mentioned as so.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TypeCaster For This Useful Post:

Junior Member rude66 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Maybe the best practice would be to ask people ripping to include this information and for those that download and spread the files to always include this info.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rude66 For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 356 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rude66 View Post
    Maybe the best practice would be to ask people ripping to include this information and for those that download and spread the files to always include this info.
    As we're discussing, if people don't know much about their font, they can't post full info for us, they just simply want to share, and I think we can't forbid it 'cause we're here to share and be shared.

So I think if we know, we add, we don't know, we can let others tell us, sometimes downloaders know much than posters.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Asian For This Useful Post:

Junior Member rude66 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    That's true. What I meant is to share all the info we have, even if it is very little to none.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rude66 For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread