+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using ripped webfonts

Member mykillingbox will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

Using ripped webfonts

Hello everyone!

I have downloaded a number of fonts from the forum and I noticed that ripped webfonts have not so refined edges compared to the normal releases. I just want to know if, say, I use them in making documents, would this be noticeable? I thought maybe they're not smooth because I viewed them in Windows font viewer.

Thanks for your replies! :)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mykillingbox For This Useful Post:

Junior Member xamiam is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    For me, you have 2 issues here: 1) Quality & 2) Look.

Quality: The quality of the source is absolutely paramount (Garbage in-->Garbage Out), but so is the expertise of the person workin' the source/quality of software used/soundness of the workflow (Awesome in--->Garbage Out). There is no guarantee that OTF/TTF-->Webfont was a good conversion or a complete conversion to begin with. When looking at conversions/ripping, every hop along the way is a chance to either maintain or degrade. For instance: PS1-->OTF-->Web-->TTF/OTF, 3 hops is 3 opportunities for the file to get wonky. While it is important to be realistic that the source and the resulting generational files may not be perfect or optimal, the effort and contribution should not be discounted and should be appreciated... because...

Look: While a Font file may not be perfect: regardless of source, expertise crafting/converting that font file or the original letter forms, if I like the letterforms enough, I will make it work, and if I get to the point that I feel a font file needs too much work for what I want to achieve, I probably am not 100% sold on the look of that font for that use to begin with and I reevaluate what I am doing.

Personally, the Windows Font Viewer is absolutely the last place I would go to evaluate a font, I would view it in a real program with some real text and produce something on the lines of my final output (printed, pdf, jpeg, whatever). You may decide that it doesn't matter if they are as smooth around the edges as other fonts, or it may be a real issue for you.

Ultimately, if you are looking for Rips to be 100% perfect when compared to an "original," tho possible, the odds are not in your favor as there are too many factors and variables involved.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xamiam For This Useful Post:

Member mykillingbox will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Thank you for your input! I was wondering why is it so because there are webfonts in Google Fonts that are decent-looking when used in documents, and they look OK in Windows font viewer as well. I guess ripping - similar to the audio process - the quality lowers if taken from secondary sources. I have Nexus Font, but I haven't tried looking at them from there. I haven't tried using them in PS either if smoothing the edges of the fonts will have any effect on them. All in all, tvm! :)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mykillingbox For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread