+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Technique for traking

Banned stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks

Technique for Kerning

Hello friends. I was wondering if any of you know or know of any technique to get a traking excellent in a Logo.

I read that to do something very well done you should not use the button "Kerning" of the software. What is your opinion on this say about that ?.

I have also looked rectangles used between each letter, but I can not identify exactly whether a fixed or standardized numerical distance.

I hope you can help me, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by stradivarious; 12-30-2014 at 03:55 PM.

Senior Member Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,812 Times in 323 Posts
    The truth is that I do traking depending on the type or style Font to be make, I do not have a standardized measure to do so, only depend on the letter.
    I try each letter with different traking and if they look good I leave who believes, after this we perform kerning for letters that require it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloxok For This Useful Post:

Banned stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxok View Post
    The truth is that I do traking depending on the type or style Font to be make, I do not have a standardized measure to do so, only depend on the letter.
    I try each letter with different traking and if they look good I leave who believes, after this we perform kerning for letters that require it.

Thank you very much friend.
    the case that I was wrong I was trying to say is "Kerning" common mind get confused, I mean the space between each letter "Kerning"

Do you know any technique for this that can or want to share?
    or maybe any website where decent explain a technique or procedure?

I will appreciate infinitely, certainly in the font I meant more to "SANS OR GEOMETRICS"

Junior Member drkhaos is a name known to all drkhaos is a name known to all drkhaos is a name known to all drkhaos is a name known to all drkhaos is a name known to all drkhaos is a name known to all
    Thanks

Working with kerning and tracking

Just to add my two cents:

Each typeface not only possesses a specific "voice" or "color" (meaning, as example, Helvetica presents a "stoic" or conservative voice... whereas Iskra by TypeTogether presents a bit more fun or quirky voice), these same typefaces come alive at specific point sizes. You will need to experiment with each typeface to see exactly at what point size the type becomes distinguishable from another (some types need to be set at, say, 10.5 point... others at 11, or even 12 before their character or flavor comes alive...

Once you have progressed to this point, you can now tackle the concept of kerning and tracking. From a strictly professional production perspective, try to use programs such as InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Quark, etc... which can manage paragraph and character styles in uniform manner (meaning, try to stay away from programs such as MS Word to achieve high quality production values... although I once published a book set completely in Word with over 1,000 pages of economic charts and tables... not an easy exercise)...

Most professionally designed typefaces have been carefully kerned... but that covers only the most basic of publishing needs... once you have set your text, you will need to read word for word and line by line to make sure that the text reads well without crowded text or rivers of spaces, etc... this is where you will need to manually kern specific words or spaces... hyphenating a paragraph text minimizes the need for manual kerning, and non-justified text is the easiest to set due to a virtual lack of needing to manually kern. Some typefaces have actually been designed to exploit specific typographical needs. Actium by Type Mafia, as an example: "Smart Capo is a feature that automatically activates once you type an uppercase letter together with a number. When a capital letter is sat next to a numeral, Smart Capo converts the letter to a mid-cap — a contemporary alternative to small caps — and the default old-style numeral to a lining numeral. Actium’s mid-caps and lining numerals have been designed with the same height (between cap and x-height) so they sit comfortably next to each other and fit more harmoniously into text."

So, in short, kerning is both built-in and a manual task... depending on whether you are setting a book or poster. Trial and error is the only real teacher. Take a sample page of text with paragraph styles you have created, and then choose various typefaces for each paragraph style and print that page... change typeface and print... change typeface and print... you will begin see a pattern: each typeface has a specific point in which it's voice comes alive... and is that voice correct for the message you are attempting to communicate?

Tracking is much simpler. Rule of thumb is that if your typeface is set at 10.5, the tracking should be 2 to 3 points larger. Tracking depends on the style of the message... are you compressing a large amount of text in a limited space... or are you attempting to create a comfortable reading experience for the audience? The book I am presently setting is using Rabenau Pro set at 10.8 with tracking at 13.8 for ease of readability... and to make sure that all text is uniformly aligned at the bottom of each and all pages. Text is justified, but hyphenated. Manual kerning is minimal... (I tend to keep Indesign "metric" kerning rather than optical, to allow each typeface to express itself naturally, flaws and all).

Hope this helps, and perhaps you can post pic samples of any test work you are comparing...

Cheers,

Khaos

Quote Originally Posted by stradivarious View Post
    Hello friends. I was wondering if any of you know or know of any technique to get a traking excellent.

I read that to do something very well done you should not use the button "Kerning" of the software. What is your opinion on this say about that ?.

I have also looked rectangles used between each letter, but I can not identify exactly whether a fixed or standardized numerical distance.

I hope you can help me, I really appreciate it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to drkhaos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just to add my two cents:
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

ok, thank you very much for your help, I understood well.
    and what if it is a logo?
    Is there any rule specifies?
    remember they are only some few letters, I think there if you need a huge accuracy.
    Is there some parametric method for this?

Banned NorthNode is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    For small jobs it's about training your eyes.

For extreme accuracy, autospacing and autokerning:
    iKern - http://ikern.com/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NorthNode For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread