+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Personal management of fonts

Banned fritzz is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    on the computer they are sorted by foundries.
    in fontxplorer i made sets ... for projects, most liked, new, etc

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fritzz For This Useful Post:

Banned momentsbytimothy is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Suitecase Fusion

I know several people have already mentioned using suitcase and I am going to put my suggestion in for suitcase as well.

Benefits of using suitcase:
    1. you can have unlimited fonts on your computer but do not have to have all of them loaded into your system memory thus saving RAM for actual computing instead of having all your fonts activated when in reality your only using a handful at the current time.

2. you can customize how your fonts are sorted by creating new sets. When I was weeding our fonts I created a set called "Fonts I have actually used" each time I actually used a font, I would add to this set. After 1 calendar year (you could do a shorter period of time of course) I got rid of the fonts that were not in this set (by get rid of I mean moved to an external harddrive) so that way I narrowed down my lists of fonts I actually use vs. fonts I actually have.

3. You can fill in missing information - ie: style, keywords, foundries, & classifications. All four of these attributes are searchable so if you know you are looking for all your Ornamental fonts for example you can search just by that word and a list will appear.

4. Font matching! any font in suitcase can be drug out of Suitcase in a transparent window over any other active window for font matching without activating the font.

5. Collect fonts for Output feature: this allows you to quickly collect the font files for output - say you need to send the font for any reason. Right click on the font and select "College fonts for Output" and then you get to name the destination for a copy of the font to be saved. This saves time over going through your computer and hunting for the font tile itself.

Those are 5 things that I thought off the top of my head that stuck out as really nice features with Suitcase.

It is definitely a tool that takes some time to adjust to but once it is part of your workflow, you will not know what you did without it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to momentsbytimothy For This Useful Post:

Banned theupside is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    There's a new program in the mac app store that isn't too bad called Fonts. Pretty clean and effective.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to theupside For This Useful Post:

Banned teffa is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    you can create sets with typographic categories (serif, sans serif, script,...)

some font managers (like suitcase) already separate fonts that way, but sometimes it skips a lot of fonts (not sure why)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to teffa For This Useful Post:

Banned clpw is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    These are great ideas guys... i have so many fonts that i forget that some of them exist. :(

10. The Following User Says Thank You to clpw For This Useful Post:

Banned adomino is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    new here, forgot about Fontexplorer, will check it out. have used extensis, very badly need to sort out duplicates now, a lot of work to do. Its cheaper too, FontExplorer, and i hear more stable?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to adomino For This Useful Post:

Banned caseyskirt is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Organizing my fonts is the bane of my existence - definitely trying these suggestions out!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to caseyskirt For This Useful Post:

Member todesign is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

suitcase fusion all the way.

Yea I bought suitcase fusion the other day, and I think it's way better than Linotype font explorer. When i was on a mac we used the linotype one and it was really good maybe the windows version is just rubbish, it is rather new still.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to todesign For This Useful Post:

Member zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    Try FontDNA. It can automatically organize your collection by finding the fonts that are most similar (or different) from each other. It's a huge timesaver when comparing faces.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to zeitgeistsfo For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Speeker has much to be proud of Speeker has much to be proud of Speeker has much to be proud of Speeker has much to be proud of Speeker has much to be proud of Speeker has much to be proud of Speeker has much to be proud of Speeker has much to be proud of Speeker has much to be proud of
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zeitgeistsfo View Post
    Try FontDNA. It can automatically organize your collection by finding the fonts that are most similar (or different) from each other. It's a huge timesaver when comparing faces.
    I take it you mean TypeDNA?

20. Your ad here

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Speeker For This Useful Post:

Member zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    Yes, my mistake, TypeDNA. They're a small company with a unique technology that's worth supporting.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to zeitgeistsfo For This Useful Post:

Banned stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    I recommend FontExplorer from Linotype is very professional, plus subfolders to organize by (left). Greetings!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to stradivarious For This Useful Post:

Banned Coleslaw is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    +1 for FontExplorer X Pro. It's the most stable, and probably the easiest to sort and organise

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Coleslaw For This Useful Post:

Normal Member jointhedots is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Another recommendation for Suitcase Fusion here, I've currently switched from FontBook to v.5 as I was impressed by the software at work.

As a professional home user, I feel its far better than FontBook, the ability to make your own sets is ideal for making groups of your favourites, plus I spent the time classifying all several thousand of mine so I can search easier. Time well spent!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to jointhedots For This Useful Post:

Junior Member Don1337 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Suitecase Fusion gets really slow with a lot of fonts … but thats the price you pay for a perfect organisation!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Don1337 For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3