+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Partial fonts

Member BirdYoshi is a name known to all BirdYoshi is a name known to all BirdYoshi is a name known to all BirdYoshi is a name known to all BirdYoshi is a name known to all BirdYoshi is a name known to all
    Thanks

Partial fonts

Posting partial font can be confusing.

USER A request Font (family has 5 weight).

USER B post 1 weight "sorry I only have Bold Italic".

USER A think this is useless, and request Font again.

USER C get very emotional, and say "USE THE SEARCH. THAT'S WHAT IT'S FOR.
    THIS FONT HAS BEEN POSTED BEFORE... babababababa"

This is confusing. Isn't it?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BirdYoshi For This Useful Post:

Moderator swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,527 Times in 702 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdYoshi View Post
    Posting partial font can be confusing.

USER A request Font (family has 5 weight).

USER B post 1 weight "sorry I only have Bold Italic".

USER A think this is useless, and request Font again.

USER C get very emotional, and say "USE THE SEARCH. THAT'S WHAT IT'S FOR.
    THIS FONT HAS BEEN POSTED BEFORE... babababababa"

This is confusing. Isn't it?
    Indeed, it is, thank you to have pointed it out.

Sometimes though, get a partial set can be useful for the requester. We will think about that point, and, why not, forbid partial filling requests.

Let's discuss it ;)

Swit.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to swit For This Useful Post:

Member BirdYoshi is a name known to all BirdYoshi is a name known to all BirdYoshi is a name known to all BirdYoshi is a name known to all BirdYoshi is a name known to all BirdYoshi is a name known to all
    Thanks

Partial in Title

Maybe put something in title so people who search can see?

Futura (Linotype - NOT COMPLETE)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BirdYoshi For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 356 Posts
    When filling req, I see people post it with "filling req (partial)" title

And when posting, I see people don't post it with "partial" title, they write "sorry I just have n fonts..." or "I only have..." in their thread.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Asian For This Useful Post:

Junior Member rude66 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    True. But if the request is marked as partially filled, it should still be considered an active request, as much as one that's not filled at all. Or am I wrong?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rude66 For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rude66 View Post
    True. But if the request is marked as partially filled, it should still be considered an active request, as much as one that's not filled at all. Or am I wrong?
    I think somtimes we don't need to have full pack font, but people always think that they should have full family.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Asian For This Useful Post:

Member DvlsAdv0c8 has a reputation beyond repute DvlsAdv0c8 has a reputation beyond repute DvlsAdv0c8 has a reputation beyond repute DvlsAdv0c8 has a reputation beyond repute DvlsAdv0c8 has a reputation beyond repute DvlsAdv0c8 has a reputation beyond repute DvlsAdv0c8 has a reputation beyond repute DvlsAdv0c8 has a reputation beyond repute DvlsAdv0c8 has a reputation beyond repute DvlsAdv0c8 has a reputation beyond repute DvlsAdv0c8 has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,048 Times in 108 Posts
    Asian, I agree with you.

Sometimes when there is a somewhat expensive font that I need, I only purchase a few of the basic faces and/or elements and "create" the remaining faces I could not purchase using those few faces, and/or create a similar "effect" using InDesign/Illustrator/Photoshop.

I realize that others may desire to possess every single face of a font family, or may not have the ability to do it the way I do, but doing this saves me money, and I am willing to share what I have even if it's not the complete family.

It doesn't bother me when people re-request a font if they didn't get what they were initially seeking. But being specific concerning which faces of a font you are requesting goes a long way toward getting what you're really looking for or are in need of.

Maybe the initial requester could edit their request post and post title to reflect that it is partially filled, and note what they still need. Then it could remain an active request, and not be considered a duplicate request.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DvlsAdv0c8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Maybe full family font can make them feel perfect, right?

The feeling of having full is always great than having partial font?

I still think if the family has different partial fonts, we'll want to have full, but when partial fonts are not different, have partial is great enough.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Asian For This Useful Post:

Moderator swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,527 Times in 702 Posts
    I began to mark partially filling requests with this tag [PARTIALLY COMPLETED REQUEST].

That way, the requester can get something useful, and it still allows the members to know if a request is still waiting for fullfilling.

What do you think ?

Swit.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to swit For This Useful Post:

Member auramasda is a name known to all auramasda is a name known to all auramasda is a name known to all auramasda is a name known to all auramasda is a name known to all auramasda is a name known to all
    Thanks
    I think that is the better solution, maybe add a how many font has being put in the filling request would be more complet:
    [PARTIALLY COMPLETED REQUEST 1 of 4]

20. Your ad here

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auramasda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by auramasda View Post
    I think that is the better solution, maybe add a how many font has being put in the filling request would be more complet:
    [PARTIALLY COMPLETED REQUEST 1 of 4]
    Posters just write in their thread that the link include how many font and we know it.
    Just "PARTIAL REQUEST COMPLETED" is enough to know that it's not full.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Asian For This Useful Post:

Banned jeylalala is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I agree. It is true that sometimes the whole family is not necessary. But it's a good idea to appear in the title (not complete).

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jeylalala For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread