+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to rip a font?

Member linx9 is just really nice linx9 is just really nice linx9 is just really nice linx9 is just really nice
    Thanks

How to rip a font?

Hello!

I have been searching for tutorials explaining to rip a font from website like myfonts, youworkforthem, etc... But I couldn't find anything

Can anyone please teach me how to do it or link me to a good tutorial?

Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to linx9 For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,812 Times in 323 Posts
    Here I found a video that explains it very well one way to do so. I hope you serve.

Hidden Block (you must be registered and have 50 posts):
    You do not have sufficient rights to see the hidden data contained here.

Here is a page that explains some new things:

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cloxok For This Useful Post:

Member linx9 is just really nice linx9 is just really nice linx9 is just really nice linx9 is just really nice
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxok View Post
    Here I found a video that explains it very well one way to do so. I hope you serve.

*** hidden content ***

*** hidden content ***

*** hidden content ***

Here is a page that explains some new things:

*** hidden content ***

*** hidden content ***

Thanks a lot!

I have some doubts though:

- Will these methods also rip the opentype features of a font? (like swashes, ligatures, etc...)

- Is there any text that I can just copy and paste when getting the .pdf that will provide all the possible glyphs of a font?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to linx9 For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future
    Thanks
    Not always the pdf obtained draw all glyphs uns font, that is clear, as already seen many fonts with half of these glyphs or just some glyphs, the solution that I think gives this type of case is to use images like those in myfonts doing and go the other glyphs with them, but it's just an idea, since I've never done a WebFont rip.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloxok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Not always the pdf obtained draw all glyphs uns font, that is clear, as already seen many fonts with half of these glyphs or just some glyphs, the solution that I think gives this type of case is to use images like those in myfonts doing and go the other glyphs with them, but it's just an idea, since I've never done a WebFont rip.
    I am having some problems with obtaining the .pdf

For instance, if I want to rip this font: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/latinotype/newslab/

Do I have to type in the "Sample text" box every glyph I would like to get in the final font format?

I am also getting the following error when I try to open the font from the pdf using Font Forge:

Btw, if you've never done a Webfont rip, would you mind telling me how do you get the fonts you share here in printroot? Is there a more efficient way to rip fonts?
    Last edited by linx9; 05-03-2014 at 02:28 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to linx9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have never made ​​a source of this type, but may or may buy or ask a friend or family member if he does, however your problem may be because the website I have shown you do not perform well or conversion Maybe you did not follow very well the steps in the material that I showed you, anyway you can make the font with FontLab rip as it appears on top of this forum the forum rules:

http://www.printroot.com/forum/f45/how-edit-ripped-fonts-fontlab-studio-tutorial-34899/
    It is a complete tutorial about it, it performed the same Dj.Dance, I hope this tutorial I doubts are resolved.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloxok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have never made ​​a source of this type, but may or may buy or ask a friend or family member if he does, however your problem may be because the website I have shown you do not perform well or conversion Maybe you did not follow very well the steps in the material that I showed you, anyway you can make the font with FontLab rip as it appears on top of this forum the forum rules:

It is a complete tutorial about it, it performed the same Dj.Dance, I hope this tutorial I doubts are resolved.

Oh, I see

I've seen this thread before but, from what I understood when I read it, it is only to rename fonts that are already ripped. I didn't even get to create the .otf/.ttf, but I will keep trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks a lot for the help so far!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to linx9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    But you I can not help because it only copies of fonts make to through her vectorizacion not I make web rip, also obtainable fonts through her conversion of woff to otf or ttf, some web containing such fonts travez that format, so only the conversion is done and ready. Fonts also works with other formats such as pfb.

Last edited by Cloxok; 05-03-2014 at 05:54 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloxok For This Useful Post:

Junior Member xamiam is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Linx9,

Lets start with the easy answers:

- Will these methods also rip the opentype features of a font? (like swashes, ligatures, etc...)
    Is it possible, Yes, is it probable NO.

Three words: Source, Source & Source. There are a variety of factors that can change the quality of a source file. What is the "Family Tree" of the source file you are working with: was it a straight conversion from OTF/TTF original to Web Font or was there other conversions involved, did the person doing the conversion have the expertise to do a 100% equal conversion, was the font subsetted to make the source file size smaller, was the web font generated from a screen optimized font or even an actual "original", was there a conversion from PS to/from TT at any point along the journey? Each point along the source's journey can degrade the font, at no point will the resulting files ever get better then the previous source and it is unlikely that they will ever match the original.

- Is there any text that I can just copy and paste when getting the .pdf that will provide all the possible glyphs of a font?
    For instance, if I want to rip this font: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/latinotype/newslab/

Do I have to type in the "Sample text" box every glyph I would like to get in the final font format?
    If you are trying to "print" a PDF from a website in hopes of doing a PDF rip, you have probably already missed the boat. The historical concept of a PDF rip is taking a Source PDF that was created by someone else with original files that are embedded in the PDF and you as the ripper extracting the parts from it that you find. You making a pdf from a web page does not create a PDF that has much worth ripping---nor anything that you didn't already have access to with out the PDF.

At the moment I type this, there is pretty much 0 possibility of getting a rip from the example you mention as there is nothing there worth ripping (unless you make Scan Fonts as a hobby). That of course could change in the future.

Be it Academic or with a purpose, ripping is not necessarily the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow many mistake it to be...it takes fundamental knowledge about more then just opening a file in FontForge; some understand of PS/PDF/web file structure, standards; code and conventions; a lot of time; and a lot of patience. There are a lot of small details, both in and out of a rippers control, that can influence the success of the result. While some rip results are awesome, there are many times more that are not so awesome because of the small details. In addition to the tutorials brush up on web font standards.
    Last edited by xamiam; 05-04-2014 at 06:30 AM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xamiam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xamiam View Post
    Linx9,

Lets start with the easy answers:

Is it possible, Yes, is it probable NO.

Three words: Source, Source & Source. There are a variety of factors that can change the quality of a source file. What is the "Family Tree" of the source file you are working with: was it a straight conversion from OTF/TTF original to Web Font or was there other conversions involved, did the person doing the conversion have the expertise to do a 100% equal conversion, was the font subsetted to make the source file size smaller, was the web font generated from a screen optimized font or even an actual "original", was there a conversion from PS to/from TT at any point along the journey? Each point along the source's journey can degrade the font, at no point will the resulting files ever get better then the previous source and it is unlikely that they will ever match the original.

If you are trying to "print" a PDF from a website in hopes of doing a PDF rip, you have probably already missed the boat. The historical concept of a PDF rip is taking a Source PDF that was created by someone else with original files that are embedded in the PDF and you as the ripper extracting the parts from it that you find. You making a pdf from a web page does not create a PDF that has much worth ripping---nor anything that you didn't already have access to with out the PDF.

At the moment I type this, there is pretty much 0 possibility of getting a rip from the example you mention as there is nothing there worth ripping (unless you make Scan Fonts as a hobby). That of course could change in the future.

Be it Academic or with a purpose, ripping is not necessarily the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow many mistake it to be...it takes fundamental knowledge about more then just opening a file in FontForge; some understand of PS/PDF/web file structure, standards; code and conventions; a lot of time; and a lot of patience. There are a lot of small details, both in and out of a rippers control, that can influence the success of the result. While some rip results are awesome, there are many times more that are not so awesome because of the small details. In addition to the tutorials brush up on web font standards.
    Thanks for all the info!

Font ripping sounded like something a lot easier in my mind before, but now I can see how mistaken I was.

But I still don't understand one thing. I see swit and a lot of other people posting fonts that are really close to the original font. The fonts even have the opentype features. Does it mean that they are not ripped, but are the original font files?

20. Your ad here

21. The Following User Says Thank You to linx9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some fonts are original, ie someone bought them and he shared on this site or simply find on any website where they share these font, others are just that, rip fonts drawn from pdf or just conversions made from fonts woff or of some other type, such as says xamiam, I've also seen a few sites where they share fonts and take presisamente from this description, it is a place that did not know, but it inadvertently gave in and I see to appear web addresses in this ad sharing each link that are here, although I did not have registered on that page, to appear no matter how many levels of protection have a file here, there is always someone who shares that font to users of that product, if you want to see it, it is very 4chan like.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cloxok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some fonts are original, ie someone bought them and he shared on this site or simply find on any website where they share these font, others are just that, rip fonts drawn from pdf or just conversions made from fonts woff or of some other type, such as says xamiam, I've also seen a few sites where they share fonts and take presisamente from this description, it is a place that did not know, but it inadvertently gave in and I see to appear web addresses in this ad sharing each link that are here, although I did not have registered on that page, to appear no matter how many levels of protection have a file here, there is always someone who shares that font to users of that product, if you want to see it, it is very 4chan like.

*** hidden content ***

Oh, thanks for this website! It seems to be another nice place to share fonts

By the way, do you speak Spanish or Portuguese?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to linx9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm from Spain, so my language is Castilian and the site showed him is just a page where they share the same fonts you find on this page, so I saw all fonts are taken from the same site, so if you access the only vera links easily found here, usually there is nothing new.C;

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloxok For This Useful Post:

Junior Member xamiam is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    linx9,

I hope I did not sound too "discouraging" in my last post, I was just trying to be real about it.

But I still don't understand one thing. I see swit and a lot of other people posting fonts that are really close to the original font. The fonts even have the opentype features. Does it mean that they are not ripped, but are the original font files?
    What you are seeing in their results are very much the awesome side of ripping. It is no accident that the quality of those posts are really amazing: with OT features, proper naming conventions, and good quality letter forms.

Again, it takes an impeccable source file that is on the high quality side. If you find a good spot to obtain sources, that will increase the odds in your favor greatly. For a variety of reasons, many rippers who do have a place to obtain great sources often keep those locations to themselves. Over the years, I have seen more then one source for great files dry up because it was broadcast to the masses and the flood of activity caused the "operator" to close the doors.

Once you have that impeccable source file, the workflow or process that you rip the source file is extremely important. While, the fundamental process is pretty much the same, there are more then one way to do each step in the process. Choices on how to do the initial conversion, what format to convert into, is that the final format or will there be a subsequent conversions, how to rename the faces, what application(s) are going to give you the best results for each step, is there a different process depending on where the source file came from, what choices insure that the things like OT Features are not lost if they exist in the source file, etc.

Likewise, what is going to be your QA, how are you going to check the letter forms, the OT features, the names, what level of imperfection are you good with. What do you do if you find big imperfections: start over and tweak the process, dig into the font and fix it, or live with the results. Like source "honey holes" not every ripper will give up the recipe to their success, at the same time, one persons great recipe/workflow is another mans gibberish.

This is why it important as individuals to have knowledge of the fundamentals. If you seriously want to learn how to do a good rip, then it starts with a lot of trial and error. when I work on my workflow, I always work with something that I have an original file for so I can compare the results from my "source file" with the original, this gives me more confidence that when I am working "blind" so to speak, I will likely have a good result. I read up on what it takes to make that source file and how the file is made up in the first place so that I can work towards reversing that conversion. Thinking about things like if I wanted a font on my website, how would I do it, kinds of things will lead your workflow and process in a good direction.

So the short of it, its not impossible, people like swit show us results that prove it is possible to have an amazing web rip. In the end it comes down to your persistence and how willing you are to really dig in.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xamiam For This Useful Post:

Member MyFs13 has a reputation beyond repute MyFs13 has a reputation beyond repute MyFs13 has a reputation beyond repute MyFs13 has a reputation beyond repute MyFs13 has a reputation beyond repute MyFs13 has a reputation beyond repute MyFs13 has a reputation beyond repute MyFs13 has a reputation beyond repute MyFs13 has a reputation beyond repute MyFs13 has a reputation beyond repute MyFs13 has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,501 Times in 172 Posts

How to rip a font? / Cómo ripear una fuente

Esta es una manera "rústica" o manual de obtener las fuentes webs de los sitios que permiten descargarlas

Abrir firefox y tipear la web myfonts.com

Ir a la pestaña What’s New y luego a la pestaña Webfonts

http://i.imgur.com/cYwa77H.jpg
    En este ejemplo voy a utilizar para extraer la fuente Regato by La Boîte Graphique

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/laboitegraphique/regato/

Una vez cargada la página vemos estas opciones

Overview "Webfont" Gallery Buying choices Licensing

http://i.imgur.com/G3sPdmp.jpg
    la parte que nos interesa es la que diga Webfont, hacemos click y esperamos que cargue la página

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/laboitegraphique/regato/webfont_preview.html

una vez cargada la página vemos un preview de la fuente y podemos cambiar el texto etc

http://i.imgur.com/1h18AB8.jpg
    pintamos una o dos letras y hacemos click con el botón secundario del ratón y elegir la opción Inspeccionar elemento

http://i.imgur.com/UuAdzpX.jpg
    nos sale esta pequeña ventana que es lo que nos interesa

http://i.imgur.com/e0vzyDD.jpg
    en la parte derecha de nuestro monitor están los links para descargar la fuente web en formato woff o ttf por ejemplo:

link en formato woff

http://easy.myfonts.net/v2/woff?9L9ckJ2CTJ3r72PAKXYZSieXNWLF5JDNtoH6J&Policy= eyJTdGF0ZW1lbnQiOlt7IlJlc291cmNlIjoiaHR0cCo6Ly8qL3 YyL3dvZmY~OUw5Y2tKMkNUSjNyNzJQQUtYWVpTaWVYTldMRjVK RE50b0g2SiIsIkNvbmRpdGlvbiI6eyJEYXRlTGVzc1RoYW4iOn siQVdTOkVwb2NoVGltZSI6MTQwMDExMjAwMH19fV19&Signatu re=oeV7uuHljXZZ4YACW6XPMowVPxlzAOviGyXHx0B2Z1YgRHF 2SS1-azD9WUN-kABP3DkNbZv2KnzXD6VKpWiJWDA8nGiNxHrt6ZCNkMceq24fVb 4YIhY5qBCgA~HsnMJMVK7xQyOZuwaj6KVu-T0Khm7Bpcn4gCo9tTr1TE4EVeeG3K0wwfRXcWsPA2jPSaM-v0NMonQfXhqrbM~8dhxmlaFxeMGVSAJcJtsVieStPkrN6IXCXT 4VelSptbveylk1diM7gD8LNzVwHNV37Rht59SMLBhp1~Z4v-Y~KFgY1QZnHQJL1ss1qAaiXECCxNgdi65OIeq6OMil9P1u9m3B ~g__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJN6QFZEE4BZCL6XQ
    link en formato ttf

http://easy.myfonts.net/v2/ttf?1Vj1ldbaO4PVrSuEIJAD6P0S7OsAFUCOJg3t&Policy=ey JTdGF0ZW1lbnQiOlt7IlJlc291cmNlIjoiaHR0cCo6Ly8qL3Yy L3R0Zj8xVmoxbGRiYU80UFZyU3VFSUpBRDZQMFM3T3NBRlVDT0 pnM3QiLCJDb25kaXRpb24iOnsiRGF0ZUxlc3NUaGFuIjp7IkFX UzpFcG9jaFRpbWUiOjE0MDAxMTIwMDB9fX1dfQ__&Signature =eaaMvJbHFCCv3o4wj~T~89ZWGYQmkshOctu8yzOzoaXE7-fBqAH3wGUO0Ax065Jft7hoRxN7VUDCNjmRj3bfVneJxGJsY3Ta cD8HMURLuB65hhfNKL1zZy-w--bZhMzQtOH-iQV~VLMVi~Q0zMpx2g8p9eDFjz2AHK8Pxd8~zvDXApqsUib4RP 75PnZgbGJ-yDS6lRu-NU5EEZ2p9dcW-V0MHX6siRsl-6BvoeUVcK~-h7YgzZxxXRSBznwZlV3qd2Zvr8qwiQoHRC~lOHEUW1D53yZgo4 PUh8L8yYbBp~a81p7TzEtHEBgKY2ldaqdhTDl2yTRKzs0mWAcJ mssn8g__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJN6QFZEE4BZCL6XQ
    pegamos el link en otra pestaña y guardar el archivo (poner el nombre correspondiente)

http://i.imgur.com/9YZcH3U.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/9G0qZhx.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/j5inAVp.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/KGcddsb.jpg
    luego abrir el archivo woff o ttf con algún programa editor de tipografías (FontLab Studio - FontCreator etc.)

Editar: Nombre - Versión - Copyright etc.

http://i.imgur.com/euQInLq.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/pgowsqy.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/rAOWqau.jpg
    guardar el archivo en formato OTF / TTF / T1 etc.

esta es la manera rápida de obtener una fuente sin retocar los defectos que pueda tener el woff o ttf original
    por lo que vi casi ningún riper se tomó el trabajo de ver o retocar letra por letra.
    en este ejemplo (Regato by La Boîte Graphique) fijarse detalladamente la letra A por ejemplo, pareciera ser que tiene algún defecto. Todavía nadie subió a ninguna web la fuente "ORIGINAL" como para compararlas.

Preview letra A

http://i.imgur.com/6ibT1e3.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/2334pRq.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/784Oxz3.jpg
    La Boîte Graphique - Regato x1 OTF (WFR)

Hidden Block (you must be registered and have 33 posts):

si alguien quiere traducir esto en inglés para que otros usuarios lo entiendan se agradece.

Saludos.

31. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MyFs13 For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast