+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How many glyphs should have the pro fonts?

Senior Member Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,812 Times in 323 Posts

How many glyphs should have the pro fonts?

I know this is a rather simple question for you, I guess from a professional font contains 400 glyphs, to over 1000 of them, but not sure why wonder, I just want to know how many glyphs from a font is considered professional, also would like to know which are the best unicode characters that could go in that font, the basic latin is a rule, also the latin extended A and B, but found this more that are well known, which can not go to a professional font, of course not including ligatures.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloxok For This Useful Post:

Member Fontjunkie will become famous soon enough Fontjunkie will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Postscript T1 Font and Std Opentype Font < 256 Glyphs

Pro Opentype Font > 256 Glyphs
    (more Languages, Opentype features)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fontjunkie For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,812 Times in 323 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fontjunkie View Post
    Postscript T1 Font and Std Opentype Font < 256 Glyphs

Pro Opentype Font > 256 Glyphs
    (more Languages, Opentype features)
    And I believe they had to obligatorily have more than 400 glyphs to be professional, thanks for the reply.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloxok For This Useful Post:

Banned weisze will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxok View Post
    And I believe they had to obligatorily have more than 400 glyphs to be professional, thanks for the reply.
    It's not obligatory in the sense that there're laws governing this, though I suppose you could call PS and TT "laws".

It's typical for typefaces labelled "pro" to have more than 400 glyphs, but this is due to the language support, not the glyph count.

Ultimately, what qualifies as "pro" depends on the foundry. This could, and, for the most part, does, refer to Cyrillic, Greek, and Latin support. Sometimes, though, this means elaborated Latin: OsF/LF/PF/TF, ligatures, alternates, small caps, petite caps, "superiors", "inferiors", fractions, and stylistic sets.
    Last edited by weisze; 10-18-2014 at 12:31 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to weisze For This Useful Post:

Banned rancor is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    As much as the languages you are going to design for demans, that is if you only design in english why should you need stuff you wont use, like cyrillic or german letters, I design in castillan and i hate having portuguese or vasc characters in my keyboard and or font instead of those i need

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rancor For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread