+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Font Organizer?

Junior Member ofarner is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Apple Font Book is OK for a small font collection of a few hundred fonts, but nowhere a professional app.

Linotype Font Explorer Pro is the best font management software by a large margin. Has all important features, is stable, and quite fast. It also provides font activation plugins for Adobe and Quark apps.

My FEP setup is as follows. I organize my fonts myself in 16 font style categories, which range from Black Letter, Humanist Sans, etc., to Slab and Symbol. In FEP I created identical font style categories as smart sets with the following rule: Comment begins with [Name of style category]. Hence to group a newly imported font into the right style category, I just add the category to the font's comment section, and also rate the font with 1-5 stars. If you have many fonts, this setup will allow you to find suitable fonts much faster via styles and ratings. And you can sort fonts by style and rating, too.

Junior Member Morineko is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdochop View Post
    Does anyone know of a font manager where you can group font weights together by their font family name? My Illustrator gives the weights of a typeface its own family. Like I have xx Light, xx Regular, xx Bold, etc. I want to pick xx then be able to select the weight. Sorry for the harsh explanation, I don't know if I explained it enough =(
    Sometimes that comes down to how the fonts themselves are named and sorted, and you need to do some renaming/re-family-ing in something like FontForge to correct it.

Junior Member Morineko is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I've been using Suitcase for a while on my Windows machine, and it's been...okay, but kind of clunky. Is there a comparison between the various font managers, so I can see what one offers over another?

Member zaplegrand has a spectacular aura about zaplegrand has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks
    I'm using fontexplorer on Mac and honnestly it's not a good experience.

First, I have to clean caches system and application very often or when I open Indesign it's saying "Font 1 on 7 activated" and… nothing more, it's just freezed like that.

Then I bought a licence on the v4 and they made v5 a month after. They give the possibility to make a free update for people who just bought their licence. I get mine 2 days before the date. Two f*cking days.
    I wrote to ask if I could make the free update, of course not. I told them about activation issues and the necessity to turn the software en v5. They don't give a damn, just saying "buy a new licence".
    No coupon, no retail for a new licence, nothing. It's not really fair.
    80€ for a licence and 50€ more a month after just in order to get my software on date, no thanks !
    Last edited by zaplegrand; 10-14-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Junior Member ofarner is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. This is typical customer service from monocratic companies such as Monotype (owner of Linotype). But yes, if you update your OS you often also have to update the font manager, which is the golden business opportunity to force a paid upgrade.

Banned klattyzz is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I tried booth: Suitcase and LT FontExplorer... In my opinion FontExplorer is much more stable than Suitcase.

Banned klattyzz is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    To be more precise: I use FontExplorer in a windows environment

Banned crazyeddie is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I like Bitstream Font Navigator and it comes with Corel Draw.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3