+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Font merging

Banned lemonnncurry is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Font merging

Hello, I was wondering whether there is a way to easily merge separate font weights into 1 font? I find it quite annoying when they’re separated like that.

The picture on the left is what I’m talking about and the right 1 is what I want.

I’m guessing there’s some super complicated and time-consuming way to do this by opening every font file separately in FontLab, but I’m thinking more along the lines of some application that would do it for you…

If you have any suggestions, they would be appreciated!

PS I’m sorry if this has already been answered, I did a thorough search but it's not really the easiest of topics to put under 1 searchable tag.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lemonnncurry For This Useful Post:

Junior Member newstarinthesky is a glorious beacon of light newstarinthesky is a glorious beacon of light newstarinthesky is a glorious beacon of light newstarinthesky is a glorious beacon of light newstarinthesky is a glorious beacon of light
    Thanks

Post Font merging

Hy there!

I don`t think that merging fonts is feasible. TrueType has this feature, but when you have as many as 10 (or more) weights this option doesn`t help you. The only best thing you can do is to properly rename/name your fonts. If the font is properly named once installed the softare will display it like it is only O NE FONT (with many weights to choose from).

Hope this helps and....sorry for my english!
    Last edited by newstarinthesky; 11-09-2013 at 05:37 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newstarinthesky For This Useful Post:

Banned fsolha is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Im having the same problem here...

Any suggestion for those using Suitcase Fusion ?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fsolha For This Useful Post:

Moderator swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,527 Times in 702 Posts
    That's nothing to do with Suitcase Fusion.

Indeed, you must edit 1 by 1 the whole font family. Personnally, i'm using Fontographer, which has, imo, an easier interface to rename than Fontlab. It's a thankless job, but it is necessary if you don't want to end up with gigantic font list in applications ;)

Swit.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to swit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think I'll try that. Could you please describe the steps for doing so, if it's not too much of a bother of course? Since I have't used that program before, I might end up a bit confused.

Thanks everybody!
    Last edited by swit; 11-10-2013 at 04:48 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonnncurry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Seems simple enough, thank you Swit! :)
    Last edited by swit; 11-10-2013 at 04:48 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonnncurry For This Useful Post:

Moderator swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonnncurry View Post
    I think I'll try that. Could you please describe the steps for doing so, if it's not too much of a bother of course? Since I have't used that program before, I might end up a bit confused.

Thanks everybody!
    I do not have much time to explain deeply, but open a font in Fontographer, then click to "element" then "font information". There, the "typographic family name" has to be THE SAME for all the family's fonts.

Usually, the program detects the styles and weight of the font, it appears in "design parameters". Sometimes, it does not, so you have to edit it manually. Then tick "auto" and "build other names automatically".

To save font : edit > generate font files, then "cross-platform" then OTF.

Swit.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to swit For This Useful Post:

Banned fsolha is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by swit View Post
    I do not have much time to explain deeply, but open a font in Fontographer, then click to "element" then "font information". There, the "typographic family name" has to be THE SAME for all the family's fonts.

Usually, the program detects the styles and weight of the font, it appears in "design parameters". Sometimes, it does not, so you have to edit it manually. Then tick "auto" and "build other names automatically".

Swit.
    Thanks for the tip!
    I'll download the software

16. The Following User Says Thank You to fsolha For This Useful Post:

Member andrugrasu will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    It is not in English but it can help

http://talentirosit.ro/cum-sa-adaugi-diacritice-la-un-font/

18. The Following User Says Thank You to andrugrasu For This Useful Post:

Member auramasda is a name known to all auramasda is a name known to all auramasda is a name known to all auramasda is a name known to all auramasda is a name known to all auramasda is a name known to all
    Thanks
    thanks you are space savier

20. Your ad here

21. The Following User Says Thank You to auramasda For This Useful Post:

Donor samiartur has a spectacular aura about samiartur has a spectacular aura about samiartur has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by swit View Post

Swit.
    Hi Swit,
    the problem with Fontographer is you lose the opentype features after saving the font.
    It is better to use Fontlab with a correct opentype feature configuration.
    To rename the internal names corretly remenber to use the same "menu name" to all fonts:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/myfiles/#a54woir2wdqxub9
    Artur

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samiartur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by samiartur View Post
    Hi Swit,
    the problem with Fontographer is you lose the opentype features after saving the font.
    It is better to use Fontlab with a correct opentype feature configuration.
    To rename the internal names corretly remenber to use the same "menu name" to all fonts:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/myfiles/#a54woir2wdqxub9
    Artur
    Thank you Artur for the advice about opentype features. So, i used Studio for my last release, and, guess what, renaming is easier actually ;)

Thanks again, Swit.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to swit For This Useful Post:

Junior Member omemy will become famous soon enough omemy will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Does anyone have a solution for this for those of us using Suitcase Fusion? Appreciate the instructions for Fontographer, but I've invested too much time in SF. Hopefully this will keep me from beachballing when that long font list pops up. Thanks!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to omemy For This Useful Post:

Banned maffs is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Saved me creating a new topic thanks! So is Fontlab available for Mac, i notice on their website that theres only a windows version?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to maffs For This Useful Post:

Banned alexisBVS is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Thank you! Very helpful! It is really a nightmare when a font "spreads" in an infinite list :D

31. The Following User Says Thank You to alexisBVS For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread