+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Font Licensing

Banned clpw is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Font Licensing

Hi guys! I have a few questions i need to ask about font licensing, hoping someone here can help me with these. :)

I have been designing for a personal site for a while now, but now i want to venture into turning it into a commercial thing by manufaturing t-shirts with my designs on them. I've sometimes used fonts that i've acquired from this forum (needless to say, i don't have the proper licenses to use them as of now) for my designs, and I'm fully aware that before I turn from personal -> commercial i will need to purchase the license for these fonts.

Here are my questions -

1) How would any authority/font-designer check if a designer actually has the licesnse to use these fonts? If they come knocking on my door, what do i show them? As far as i know I don't store the font licenses on my computer (even the ones i've purchased), but i can find the font licenses on the website i purchased them from. So apart from showing them proof of purchase, receipts, order histories and the like, how does one actually prove they have the license to use a font?

2) Most font licenses allow for the use of a font on a set number of users, and some tie this number to the number of computers a font is installed on. What happens then, if I have 2 computers (both laptops) that i wish to work on? Only I am using these fonts, so i'm not sharing the font with anyone else. Also, how do the "authorities" check that you have not violated this agreement by installing the font on more than 1 computer?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here! :)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clpw For This Useful Post:

Junior Member Erin is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I've been kind of worrying about this a lot lately & am surprised I haven't seen this topic come up more often. Surely everyone here can't be using all of these downloads for personal projects...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Erin For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future Cloxok has a brilliant future
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,812 Times in 323 Posts
    Although I have never had this kind of questions or problems, take your pick, I can assume that if you purchased source license for commercial use, as there is no need to worry, if it should happen that any of the designers you see using a typography yours or one of the many typographical companies did, because if you arrived to question the use of that font, recently there may show both purchase tickets as proof of this, in addition to this, the same companies related to these fonts can verify in its list of buyers, who you are and whether or not to buy the commercial license for this font.
    fonts downloaded here more than anything is for personal use, as fonts for commercial use the I create myself I have had very good results for this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloxok For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread