+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cool alternatives to Brandon Grotesque

Junior Member OOOO will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

Cool alternatives to Brandon Grotesque

Hey guys,

I'm working on a project at the moment and I'm in need of a heavy sans-serif like Brandon, something with character but not digitally distressed or anything. Clean, unique, geometric but not overly sharp. I totally would Brandon, but I just used it on something else, so would like to change it up a bit.

If you got any ideas, it would be awesome!

Thanks guys,

O

Junior Member drkhaos is a name known to all drkhaos is a name known to all drkhaos is a name known to all drkhaos is a name known to all drkhaos is a name known to all drkhaos is a name known to all
    Thanks

Alternatives to Brandon Grot

Brandon Grot is a Bauhaus design, a subfamily of Geometrics... the father is generally thought to be FUTURA (perhaps the best design for long texts is URW; close second is Bitstream/Paratype... poster uses, I still stick with URW)... historical derivatives: Berthold Grotesk, Erbar, Nobel, etc... modern expressions include: Arquitecta by Latinotype, Guildford Pro by Red Rooster, Euclid Flex by Swiss Types (with really cool alternative characters)... Verlag by Hoefler & Co, the list goes on... go to myfonts.com and search for Bauhaus or Geometric...

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by OOOO View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm working on a project at the moment and I'm in need of a heavy sans-serif like Brandon, something with character but not digitally distressed or anything. Clean, unique, geometric but not overly sharp. I totally would Brandon, but I just used it on something else, so would like to change it up a bit.

Thanks guys,

O

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to drkhaos For This Useful Post:

Junior Member OOOO will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drkhaos View Post
    Brandon Grot is a Bauhaus design, a subfamily of Geometrics... the father is generally thought to be FUTURA (perhaps the best design for long texts is URW; close second is Bitstream/Paratype... poster uses, I still stick with URW)... historical derivatives: Berthold Grotesk, Erbar, Nobel, etc... modern expressions include: Arquitecta by Latinotype, Guildford Pro by Red Rooster, Euclid Flex by Swiss Types (with really cool alternative characters)... Verlag by Hoefler & Co, the list goes on... go to myfonts.com and search for Bauhaus or Geometric...

Good luck

Hey drkhaos,

That was really insightful thanks for that, you are a wealth of information!

I'm also looking for any kind of typefaces that scream boat lettering in the 80's.
    I've looked at old boating books for inspiration, one from the 60's where the subheads
    were all set in Bodoni ultra bold oblique.

I kinda want something to balance out what I'm going to do with the wordmark.

If you have any suggestions, it would be awesome to hear,

In anycase, thanks for your time — much appreciated.

OOOO

Banned yelapijo is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    Euclid Flex by Swiss Typefaces is awesome.

Junior Member MexB is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OOOO View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks guys,

O
    Maybe LL Brown, LL Circular from lineto?
    And for the boat i dont really understand what you mean, but maybe http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/itc-grouch/
    http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/normande/
    and there is also a Poster Bodoni with nice italics

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MexB For This Useful Post:

Banned pnkrck will become famous soon enough pnkrck will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Euclid Flex
    Really awesome. Did you try?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pnkrck For This Useful Post:

Junior Member circa8806 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    thank you

Banned DamoSuzuki is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    LL Brown is definitely a contender

Banned collins is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Halis Rounded

Halis Rounded is quite similar to Brandon—great if you want something that is close, but a little more unique.

The standard Halis is also quite similar, it's sharper—without the rounded points, its style moving in the direction of something like Verlag...

Member Composed is a jewel in the rough Composed is a jewel in the rough Composed is a jewel in the rough Composed is a jewel in the rough
    Thanks
    A incredible freebie and a great alternative to Brandon (Grotesk) - Core Humanist Sans by Alex http://www.fontsbyalex.com/

14. Your ad here

Junior Member deerized is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    mark pro..?

+ Reply to Thread