+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arial or Helvetica for public domain

Banned stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks

Arial or Helvetica for public domain

Hello there everyone,

I've been thinking and he seems to comes to my mind some questions that I wish I could share with you friends.

* Do you think it would be good to ARIAL or HELVETICA become public domain?
    * Why?
    * What would think that would be the best choice for this topic (A or H)?

Thanks for your participation ...

My opinion is that the two are so old and used that either I would like them to become public domain.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stradivarious For This Useful Post:

Junior Member fourthsheep will become famous soon enough fourthsheep will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Please excuse my bluntness and possibly rude reply.

Your opinion is irrelevant. Arial and helvetica are not THAT old to be considered public domain. Plus, their owners aren't surrendering their copyright claims on them anytime soon.

There are a lot of open source fonts that you can easily find online and use for your personal AND commercial projects (much better alternative, IMHO .. like Google fonts Open Sans, Roboto, Lato, etc.)

There are also TONS of alternative commercial fonts because Arial and Helvetica are terribly outdated and overused fonts.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fourthsheep For This Useful Post:

Banned stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    Ok, no problem is just an opinion and very valid indeed.

I have only one question ... that you mean that... "Plus, Their owners are not surrendering Their claims-copyright on them anytime soon."

Thank you very much for your opinion.

Cheers!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stradivarious For This Useful Post:

Junior Member unduotrois is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    No need to be harsh. It's like what if…

anyhoo

Arial. Since it's already a system font for both major desktop OS. Unicode ver also support wide variety of languages.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unduotrois For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by unduotrois View Post
    No need to be harsh. It's like what if…

anyhoo

Arial. Since it's already a system font for both major desktop OS. Unicode ver also support wide variety of languages.
    Thank you very much for your participation. Thank you, your comment is very positive.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stradivarious For This Useful Post:

Junior Member xamiam is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I agree with forthsheep in principal, but would like to add:

With both Arial and Helvetica there is no need to introduce them into the public domain as they are already distributed very freely with applications, devices, printers, computers and os's that we all have and use on a daily basis.

For instance, when you get to the point that even your phone or watch comes with licenses of Helvetica and Arial for end user use, you have really jumped the shark on the idea of either needing to be in the public domain.

When I think of all of the Adobe Software, MS Windows Licenses and Mac Os Licenses I have purchased over the years that were bundled with either Helvetica or Arial or both it would not be a stretch to say that I have 3 dozen+ licenses that cover every font in the Helvetica and Arial families. This does not even address that a 3rd variant from this same linage, URW++ Nimbus Sans L, is freely distributed under a GNU license with many versions of Linux, GhostScript and other applications/os's.

In reality, Helvetica and Arial, have both been been victims of their success and their desirability has already been reduced greatly by such over exposure, limitless availably, and over use. I think that if they were to be published into the public domain, it would not represent a great moment, but rather the moment that they have reached absolute and complete irrelevance in the world of type and would symbolize their deaths to the world of design.

Comic Sans for Public Domain Anyone? <eg>

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xamiam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you very much for your input

14. The Following User Says Thank You to stradivarious For This Useful Post:

Member Fontjunkie will become famous soon enough Fontjunkie will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Helvetica, Helvetica Neue are public domain, that means the registered design protection has been expired. For an example in germany design protection only 25 years.
    Helvetica Neue was created in 1983, Helvetica in 1957.
    The Font is public domain, but the font name is protected by a trademark.
    Font name like Frutiger are protected 70 years.

Other Foundrys like Bitstream sells Helvetica as Swiss 721.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fontjunkie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fontjunkie View Post
    Helvetica, Helvetica Neue are public domain, that means the registered design protection has been expired. For an example in germany design protection only 25 years.
    Helvetica Neue was created in 1983, Helvetica in 1957.
    The Font is public domain, but the font name is protected by a trademark.
    Font name like Frutiger are protected 70 years.

Other Foundrys like Bitstream sells Helvetica as Swiss 721.

Very interesting your comment, but if "Helvetica Neue" is already in the public domain ... why following the sale in myfonts?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to stradivarious For This Useful Post:

Member Fontjunkie will become famous soon enough Fontjunkie will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    A font who goes to public domain, has no sale ban.

20. Your ad here

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fontjunkie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fontjunkie View Post
    A font who goes to public domain, has no sale ban.

Ok. excuse my question, so I understand a source of public domain can be used for both personal and commercial purposes.

thus
    What if I use any of these, do not have to pay any license? (comercial o personal)
    https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/adobe/helvetica-neue/

Obvious downloaded from elsewhere.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to stradivarious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Public domain means, no protection against copying and selling.

When you take an fonteditor and (re)draw the bezier curves equal
    than Helvetica Neue, make an font. Font name is different.
    It be can used commercially.

Steal a font, no license!
    Last edited by Fontjunkie; 08-29-2014 at 09:30 PM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fontjunkie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok, thanks your help was useful.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to stradivarious For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread