+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Info] How to know if a font is a rip or an original one

Senior Member linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,080 Times in 434 Posts

[Info] How to know if a font is a rip or an original one

Recently I see someone asked about how to know if a font is webfont rip or original, I decided to write down what I know about this.

For definition of Webfont, Rip, see swit's post:
    Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. please Register to gain full access.
    I rarely see people need the webfont (hereby denoted by WF) like eot and woff, so WF is not so popular here, but in most of font releases (even my posts), people use the keyword WF instead of Webfont Rip to indicate a ripped font, so please take note, and the reason is we posters want to save time.

Now here's the trick:

1. If you have a font and when you check its information from the foundry, they say there's no webfont version, your font is properly original.

2. For the case of font(s) from myfonts/youworkforthem:
    On Myfonts you can check the file size and opentype features in the fontspec section by click on the font in the family, then navigate to Tech Spec tab, see image below:

If your font has exactly the same version + identical information in that tab, your font has high chance of being original.

On youworkforthem, if you can rip the webfont, when you open it in fontlab (for example), the copyright section is messed up with some strict conditions text etc. Some font rippers don't delete this line, so you can detect whether that font is original or not from that info.

For other foundry, you can check the total glyphs, because if a font is PDF ripped, normally there are some seldom-used glyphs will be missing.

3. Check the digital signature of the font (view 2nd reference link below). Normally in the fontviewer window, if there is Digitally Signed tag, the font has high chance of Original. See image below:

more info by samiartur on Digital Signature:
    The Digital signature table (DSIG).
    An original good font has a valid DSIG.
    You can check this with microsoft font validator (free)
    To make a valid DSIG you need to pay.
    take a look:
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/dsig.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontvalidator.mspx
    4. This reason might be ridiculous but if the font family is very well renamed, especially in font style, there's chance that they are webfont rip. I saw a lot of original fonts are badly named, while the webfont rip I get at printroot is perfectly renamed.

Personally I'm super fine with WF, since I can't see the difference and they just work perfectly, just some people die for the original though. (if they want that bad, just go buy them then), and as a poster, just give the correct info: WF or Original, I think other users will appreciate it.

If you want to read more please check Dj.Dance post:
    Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. please Register to gain full access.
    And the question/answer thread:
    Code:
    If you're more professional + you know more than me + you see some mistakes, feel free to add more info, thank you very much!
    And my English is not so good, apologize.
    Last edited by linkgreencold; 10-09-2014 at 04:47 AM.
    Les jours tristes

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to linkgreencold For This Useful Post:

Banned weisze will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by linkgreencold View Post
    If your font has exactly the same version + identical information in that tab, your font have high chance of being original.
    I don't 100% agree with this.

- Checking the digital signature is by far the most reliable approach; unfortunately, digital keys are expensive so the most reliable approach might oddly also be the most unreliable. :(

- Checking the file size is the next best approach, as you suggest. :) Note that MyFonts' data only applies to MyFonts' fonts. For instance, while Frutiger sold through Linotype and Frutiger sold through MyFonts might have slightly different file sizes, this doesn't mean that either isn't original (but you never know ...)! Also, don't forget old (but original) versions!

- Checking the file version and other specifications does not tell you enough to ascertain "originality" though. For example, while a WOFF from the MyFonts webfont preview page with the file version "Version 1.234;com.myfonts.xxx.font-name.style-name.wfkit2.3n4j" is a dead giveaway, as you suggest, the file version is easily edited, so I wouldn't set too much store by this approach. As a fall-back, however, this works.

For other foundry, you can check the total glyphs, because if a font is PDF ripped, normally there are some seldom-used glyphs will be missing.
    Regarding checking the glyph count, I've noticed that WOFFs from the MyFonts webfont preview page contain 2 more characters than the OTF (.null and nonmarkingreturn).

And my English is not so good, apologize.
    Don't apologize; not everyone speaks English as a first language. :)
    Last edited by weisze; 10-18-2014 at 12:31 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weisze For This Useful Post:

Donor samiartur has a spectacular aura about samiartur has a spectacular aura about samiartur has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks
    This subject has already discussed:

Hidden Block (you must be registered and have 3 posts):
    You do not have sufficient rights to see the hidden data contained here.

Artur

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samiartur For This Useful Post:

Senior Member linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute linkgreencold has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,080 Times in 434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samiartur View Post
    This subject has already discussed:

*** hidden content ***

Artur
    Thanks for pointing that question/answer thread, anyway both threads have useful information though. I'll add more info into my first post.
    Les jours tristes

8. The Following User Says Thank You to linkgreencold For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute Asian has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,225 Times in 356 Posts
    I think ripped fonts today are so complete and perfect, except bad some (example Nokio), so there is no importance between ripped or original fonts, we share here to use with personal use However, identify ripped original is still quite complicated, maybe I'm not good at font so actually I can't understand or remember much.
    If you have problem with my links, PM me.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Asian For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Peanut has a reputation beyond repute Peanut has a reputation beyond repute Peanut has a reputation beyond repute Peanut has a reputation beyond repute Peanut has a reputation beyond repute Peanut has a reputation beyond repute Peanut has a reputation beyond repute Peanut has a reputation beyond repute Peanut has a reputation beyond repute Peanut has a reputation beyond repute Peanut has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,715 Times in 318 Posts
    My honest opinion? I don't think it should be an issue for people to have to worry about when posting shares. I mean we are all taking time out of our lives to do this. If you start ragging on people for not saying whether it's a rip or not in their post, and expect them to do all this extra research on the fonts to figure out if it's a rip or original, then they might decide it's too much trouble and not share it. If you want to be a purist, and collect only originals, fine. It's your hobby. But when you are getting something for free the only that should be said is " Thank you" If it's important to YOU about whether or not it's a rip, then YOU figure it out. If you decide you don't want it, then you can delete it. I want to add that I don't mean to take anything away from linkgreencold's valuable information that he shared. Free education is always invaluable. :)
    Last edited by Peanut; 10-09-2014 at 10:41 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peanut For This Useful Post:

Banned weisze will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    My honest opinion? I don't think it should be an issue for people to have to worry about when posting shares. I mean we are all taking time out of our lives to do this. If you start ragging on people for not saying whether it's a rip or not in their post, and expect them to do all this extra research on the fonts to figure out if it's a rip or original, then they might decide it's too much trouble and not share it. If you want to be a purist, and collect only originals, fine. It's your hobby. But when you are getting something for free the only that should be said is " Thank you" If it's important to YOU about whether or not it's a rip, then YOU figure it out. If you decide you don't want it, then you can delete it.
    This reminds me of reddit's/imgur's animus against reposts and reposting. It might not be new to YOU, but it is new to ME.

I think it would be great if the sharer (if not also the ripper) pointed out the provenance of whatever he's sharing, whether it's original, ripped, or he doesn't know, so I know whether to download or ignore. (I wouldn't give him any grief over this, though, to be clear.)
    Last edited by weisze; 10-18-2014 at 12:31 AM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weisze For This Useful Post:

Senior Member davisfirs has a reputation beyond repute davisfirs has a reputation beyond repute davisfirs has a reputation beyond repute davisfirs has a reputation beyond repute davisfirs has a reputation beyond repute davisfirs has a reputation beyond repute davisfirs has a reputation beyond repute davisfirs has a reputation beyond repute davisfirs has a reputation beyond repute davisfirs has a reputation beyond repute davisfirs has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,115 Times in 757 Posts
    I do think it's wrong to name a font "original" when the above checks have not been made. E.g. a poster today posted Roihu (Mika Melvas) as original when it was clearly not.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davisfirs For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread