+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Architype Collections 3 (The Foundry)

Moderator swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute swit has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,527 Times in 702 Posts

The Architype Collections 3 (The Foundry)

http://davidquaydesign.com/foundry-architype-3/

In 1996 I travelled to Amsterdam to meet with Wim Crouwel the designer of the radical 1960s typeface New Alphabetí. I can‘t remember the actual reason I visited Crouwel, I had never met him before. I think partly it was to ask him if he would give a lecture to the Society of Typographic Designers (now ISTD), which he readily agreed to.

It was an opportunity to ask him about his typefaces designed while he was a partner in Total Design. I was especially interested in his New Alphabet. I was amazed and delighted to learn that n of this work was available digitally. I suggested that The Foundry could digitize them and market them. Crouwel happily agreed and along with the three New Alphabet weights there were alphabets for the Fodor Museum, (part of the Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam), and for the Vormgevers exhibition at the Stedelijk Museum, and an alphabet originally designed for Olivetti.

We thought that Crouwel’s typeface work was of major importance. New Alphabet had great significance at the time when computer technology was in its infancy. Crouwel tried to define a new vision of how new technology could be used. His New Alphabet was a revolutionary concept in designing new forms that fitted perfectly to the computer, which at the time gave fairly crude resolution.

The Foundry released all six alphabets as Architype 3, part of the Architype series in 1997. of these named Gridnik was picked up by a few designers and we were asked us if there were any more weights. This led to the development of Foundry Gridnik 4 weight typeface family, which became am instant hit

6x PS

Architype Fodor
    Architype Gridnik
    Architype New Alphabet 1
    Architype New Alphabet 2
    Architype New Alphabet 3
    Architype Stedelijk

Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. please Register to gain full access.
    Swit.
    Last edited by swit; 11-19-2013 at 08:44 AM.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to swit For This Useful Post:

Junior Member fslopes is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Hey, I'm new to the forum.
    I have a question regarding this collection, does it feat the 4 Gridnik's weights?

Junior Member fslopes is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I was having trouble generating the font, I could solve it and I know now that it only feats the Medium weight.

Thanks anyway, and great content though

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fslopes For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread