+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sonora XP process free plates

Junior Member markyb is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Sonora XP process free plates

Our workplace is in the process up updating our platemaking machinery in our pre press department. we currently use Kodak Electra XD thermal imaging plates for our litho presses, however we are looking at investing in Sonora XP process-less plate technology. Does any use this plate themselves, if so what are your opinions, advantages/disadvantages to processed plates, what run lengths can you achieve before the plate quality deteriorates?

Donor guncis is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Im not using, but some of my customers does. It is ok, BUT
    -
    1. higher price for plate
    2. less run you are lucky at 20K
    3. bit different in printing - maybe you should change dampening chemistry, but in most cases no
    4. you will see errors only on machine (ok, new plate is better, but anyway grey on grey)
    5. calibration only on press (plate itself doesnt calibrate) and you should do this quiet carefully
    6. less speed of ctp (we managed good quality with 95% laser and 700rpm on Screen)
    +
    1. Negative plate - process only black areas
    2. dont need chemistry
    3. you will save place - dont need processor and bridge
    Conclusion - some problems in startup, but if dealer is skilled - no problems later.

Junior Member derrico is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Sonora XP

very important linearize the plate. common mistake to try to use the plate without linearization.
    If not densitometer can simulate very close to a curve, marking up to 50% conducted as if a reading of 60%, 0% and 0% and 100% to 100%. Thus the curve produced with just these three points will be very similar to the curve that Kodak deploys the RIPs.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to derrico For This Useful Post:

Junior Member markyb is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    They seem to be okay, we have recently begun this week to use them, apart from marking fairly easily and fingerprints marking from being picked up and being loaded into the platesetter, we were using Electras before and these plates seem to be much more delicate in regards to handling/premature exposure to light. Apparently "coincidentally" we are having issues with the laser head retaining its focus, kodak are looking into it. at random intervals single separations being imaged to the plate fades gradually to nothing, then the next plate will image perfectly fine...

PRC Member saifou will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    fuji ProT3 better

Donor JimmyBgood is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    The Kodak Sonora Processless plates are about 30% slower than Electra XD, more if you are using 400Lo Developer, so you will reduce productivity or you will need more laserpower, so the Head Life will be shorter.

The run length with conventional ink goes from 300K of XD to 40-50K of Sonora if you are lucky!!

For processless plates i also recommend you Fuji ProT3, is faster than Kodak, with more contrast and very good Run length........ of course is also MORE expensive

Junior Member stika is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I worked with Thermaldirect Process less plates before. I switched few months ago to Electra XD. Next month we will switch back to a process less plate: Sonora.

It's very important the dampening chemistry and ink.
    If you have short run, change the chemistry or the ink on presses

my 2 cents ;-)
    If you have short runs, go for it.

I'll keep you updated on my experience

PRC Member saifou will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    ipagssa NPN3 is not good for long run
    Kodak TD too slow and fragil
    Sonora is good but slower then ipagssa
    ProT3 is the beter

Junior Member Derek@Kodak is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    "Hi Every, Derek from Kodak here. I'm happy to see this discussion on our Sonora Process Free Plates, and it's great to have first-hand accounts from customers using the plate. However, I see some misinformation here that I want to correct.
    A couple of people are mentioning that Sonora Plates provide short run lengths. Run lengths depend on press conditions, but in general Sonora Plates achieve up to 100,000 impressions for sheetfed and up to 200,000 impressions for heatset and coldset web applications. They can even achieve up to 50,000 impressions for offset packaging and up to 10,000 impressions for UV. Both guncis and JimmyBgood are saying Sonora Plates have much shorter run lengths - is that based on your personal experience? I would like to hear more about your applications and printing environment, because in general our customers running Sonora Plates are able to achieve much higher run lengths.
    In terms of imaging speed, Sonora Plates are much faster than Thermal Direct Plates. On all but the fastest CTP devices, they will run as fast as your machine can go. So if you have a very fast CTP device, you may see a bit fewer plates per hour, but for many CTP devices, you won't notice the difference in imaging speed when you switch from a processed plate to Sonora Plates. And then skipping the processing step gets you on press faster anyway.
    Markyb and stika, I look forward to hearing more about how the Sonora Plates are working for you. "
    Last edited by [email protected]; 10-28-2013 at 11:23 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread