+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Screen Katana FT-R5055 / LD-M1060 d-max density issue

Donor TheGood is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Screen Katana FT-R5055 / LD-M1060 d-max density issue

I am having a problem that I would appreciate some input.

I am measuring a difference of about 0.05 to 0.10 on D-max when I compare the left with the right side of my film.

I have sort of eliminated the problem to be on the developing section of the machine, checked things like the cylinders, temperature difference, flow and condition of the chemicals.

I am starting to believe it has something to do with the laser or the optics. When I lower the laser settings and underexpose a lot the film I can even see the difference with my eyes, if I send a 50% dot gain its like its doing a graduation starting ok on the right side and almost falling to 20% on the left.

I hope I am managing to explain it good, I will try and upload a picture when I get the change, Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any solutions?

Moderator kazanchi has a spectacular aura about kazanchi has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGood View Post
    I am having a problem that I would appreciate some input.

I am measuring a difference of about 0.05 to 0.10 on D-max when I compare the left with the right side of my film....... Any solutions?
    It seems to be the dust on rotating mirror... Let you try "conserved" air (—Āompressed air in the jar)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kazanchi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I actually did, at least try, and clean the big lense just next to the laser, the mirror just below it and a long rod with a sort of prism that you can remove at the side of the machine. I don't know if I am missing any other lense somewhere.

I did it with a dry special cloth for lenses, with minimum pressure cause I was afraid I might not suppose to do that. All looked quite clear to tell you the truth, but my effort was minimum.

Do you think its safe if I do it again with lense cleaner? Or maybe try compressed air as you suggest.

Thanks for your input!

Moderator kazanchi has a spectacular aura about kazanchi has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGood View Post
    I actually did, at least try, and clean the big lense just next to the laser, the mirror just below it and a long rod with a sort of prism that you can remove at the side of the machine. I don't know if I am missing any other lense somewhere.

I did it with a dry special cloth for lenses, with minimum pressure cause I was afraid I might not suppose to do that. All looked quite clear to tell you the truth, but my effort was minimum.

Do you think its safe if I do it again with lense cleaner? Or maybe try compressed air as you suggest.

Thanks for your input!
    It was a long time ago, but as far as I remember, the rotating prism was purged with air... And the certified service engineer explained that dust settles unevenly due to the centrifugal force...

Thanks
    So, a small update for anyone that might have similar problems.

After cleaning with air all the lenses the problem is almost gone, still a minor variation but I might over analyzing it, I can't see it nether on the press nor with the eye, just a bit of on the densitometer.

One thing that I can't seem to find out is where is the "normal" range for laser intensity on the katana, I'm at 125, it seems ok, but I don't really know if I'am way down or way up. If anyone could share their own settings it would be great! For the record I'm using digidot HND.

Thank you all for your help,

Andrew

PRC Member saifou will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    the polygonal mirror contaminated by dust clean it

Junior Member bsimon is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    For anyone who's still interested in this thread, the laser intensity of our machine is set on 135 with 2400 dpi. Every dpi-setting can have it's own laser intensity.
    On youtube there are also 2 movies about the screen katana 5055, one is about cleaning the optics of this machine.
    Last edited by bsimon; 11-09-2017 at 06:59 AM.

+ Reply to Thread