+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RIP Software for Katana

Donor TheGood is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Question RIP Software for Katana

I have a SCREEN Katana CtF with a very old version of HQ-510PC Rip, probably the cause of many problems that I'm dealing with.

Do you guys know any other RIP software that could work well with katana, or should I go to a newer version of HQ-510?

Junior Member SpyrosTheBest is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Hello...

I think that most Catanas functioning to date, use Harlequin RIP HQ-510...

What's your the version installed in your PC?

Thanks
    I'm not positive cause I'm not near the PC atm, but I believe 3 if that makes any sense.

Thanks
    If you are correct, It should be pretty old ...

I think they are now at 7.0 or 8.0...

Does the RIP support on-top updates?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpyrosTheBest For This Useful Post:

Moderator kazanchi has a spectacular aura about kazanchi has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGood View Post
    I'm not positive cause I'm not near the PC atm, but I believe 3 if that makes any sense.
    There are options for Katana - HQ-RIP based on Macintosh or based on Wintel.
    1. Macintosh -> you have to use your old RIP as 1-bit TIFF spooler and you can RIP your files on the other computer with any RIP with 1-bit TIFF output (Harlequin, Heidelberg, Agfa and so on).
    2. Windows based HQ-RIP.
    This case depends on HW and SW. Katana has SCSI interface and RIP's computer is equipped with SCSI card. But! This is not "regular" SCSI card, this card has special firmware. (by the way as I know the Eagle RIP uses "ordinare" Adaptec's SCSI card).
    If your new computer has PCI-slot same as PCI SCSI card, you can install the newest (or new only ;) ) version of HQ-RIP or another Harlequin based RIP (such as Xitron Navigator and so on) and add Screen's output plugin.
    Next. There is possible that OS on your new computer is too modern and have no drivers for such SCSI card. But! Sometimes the Harlequin RIP can use SCSI card not through system driver but directly. This was true for Windows XP and HQ-RIP v. 5.1. You can try...
    But there is possible that PCI card is too old and your new computer have no such PCI slot -> let you see 1 (like Mac RIP for).

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kazanchi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyrosTheBest View Post
    If you are correct, It should be pretty old ...

I think they are now at 7.0 or 8.0...

Does the RIP support on-top updates?
    After googling for a while, can't seem to find any support or download section for updates via Screen for HQ-510..

Quote Originally Posted by kazanchi View Post
    There are options for Katana - HQ-RIP based on Macintosh or based on Wintel.
    1. Macintosh -> you have to use your old RIP as 1-bit TIFF spooler and you can RIP your files on the other computer with any RIP with 1-bit TIFF output (Harlequin, Heidelberg, Agfa and so on).
    2. Windows based HQ-RIP.
    This case depends on HW and SW. Katana has SCSI interface and RIP's computer is equipped with SCSI card. But! This is not "regular" SCSI card, this card has special firmware. (by the way as I know the Eagle RIP uses "ordinare" Adaptec's SCSI card).
    If your new computer has PCI-slot same as PCI SCSI card, you can install the newest (or new only ;) ) version of HQ-RIP or another Harlequin based RIP (such as Xitron Navigator and so on) and add Screen's output plugin.
    Next. There is possible that OS on your new computer is too modern and have no drivers for such SCSI card. But! Sometimes the Harlequin RIP can use SCSI card not through system driver but directly. This was true for Windows XP and HQ-RIP v. 5.1. You can try...
    But there is possible that PCI card is too old and your new computer have no such PCI slot -> let you see 1 (like Mac RIP for).
    Thanks a lot, I'm gonna google a bit some of your suggestions cause tbh I'm not really aware of the software you mention. Good to know that can go with other software besides HQ-510. I know the scsi cards are a pain to setup with newer OS, but I have plenty of older PC and MAC to try around. The only thing I'm not so sure, is that if the scsi card that katana uses has a custom firmware, where I'm gonna find drivers for it.. Also, do you know where I can find the latest HQ-510? Thanks again for your help
    Last edited by TheGood; 03-05-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Junior Member myke is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Hi,

You can update your RIP software to version 7.0 to 8.0, if you are using the old scsi adaptec 2944 (PC Base) you can still use, but you need katana screen device to install it to your new system and you need to back-up your configuration of your settings in order for you to lessen your burden for calibration and load your existing setting to your RIP Software.

Thanks
    Here's your Screen link...

http://www.screen.co.jp/ga_dtp/en/product/wf_rip/hq_510/

Moderator kazanchi has a spectacular aura about kazanchi has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyrosTheBest View Post
    Here's your Screen link...
    http://www.screen.co.jp/ga_dtp/en/product/wf_rip/hq_510/
    There is not RIP's download link.

And there are (there was? ) download links for modern versions of Harlequin RIP, Screen devices and so on on this forum. But you have to be "full access member".

Thanks
    I just sent you the link to the relevant page for the RIP...

To be informed on versions and requirements, first of all...

And, yes, you should be full member to download.

13. Your ad here

Thanks
    I am having trouble finding HQ510 latest version, all the topics are old and links are dead.

Any here who can reupload it?

Thanks

PRC Member zombie will become famous soon enough zombie will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    You can use any HQ Rip (ECRM, Xitron, COmpose, etc.) as long as you have the Katana plugin.

Junior Member Kormi99 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    i have the same problem
    i cant rip pdf files what i can do

PRC Member gomesdan will become famous soon enough gomesdan will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

link in this post

Quote Originally Posted by TheGood View Post
    I am having trouble finding HQ510 latest version, all the topics are old and links are dead.

Any here who can reupload it?

Thanks
    http://www.printroot.com/forum/f21/hq-510pc-rip-8-3-installer-3849/index3.html

PRC Member zombie will become famous soon enough zombie will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kormi99 View Post
    i have the same problem
    i cant rip pdf files what i can do
    If you don't describe your problem in detail, nobody will be able to help you.

+ Reply to Thread