+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help to make a photobook

Banned gre2gor is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Help to make a photobook

Is there any tutorial how to bind and make photobook? With hardcover.

I have A4 inkjet printer. I would like to make my own books. How to glue pages together (it is only one sided paper)?

How to bind this books?

Some good experiences?

Banned Vetinari is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Glue pages together? Decent photo paper tends to be thick so you end up with inflexible, heavy, laminated sheets. I've done this, and used a spray adhesive to do the job, but I don't recommend it.

Tread carefully, for down this path lies madness.

Binding is binding. You could oversew the leaves, but you'll do a fair bit of cursing.

By far the easiest way to do it, and actually perhaps even cheaper, is to lay out your book in some software of your choice, export the whole shebang as a high-resolution image, send it to a photobook printing service (there are oodles of these), and let their machines deal with binding the whole thing. Then if you want to re-cover the work, that's an easier option for you.

The benefit is you've then got access to more sizes of paper than your printer will handle, work that should be more water and oil resistant (fingerprints, and licked fingerprints for people who like to do that when they turn pages), and paper that won't crack and break.

Junior Member borism25 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    hi i am shooting weddings and printing all my photo books on xerox 252, paper is 300g kunsdruck matt paper...

all my montage go to indesign...and exporting to JPEG or PDF...you just can use place gun with (script -> tomaxiPLACE2.jsx it's under zip file at bottom link)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjtwr7c41qvexf1/PrintRoot.zip
    Files and Script
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/84jr4wjiy89kks1/Printroot%20video%20-%20photobook.wmv
    Video Tutorial - quick sample -> for more just ask

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to borism25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Great script

Hi,
    great script but unfortunately it does not work in CS6. I already contacted author and I am waiting for his answer. Error is "An item with that name already exists".
    Great video, I have been waiting for such a script. It really is simple to make a photobook with ease. When you have all the image in Indesign it leaves me just to make some designing.
    Do you maybe know if there is any good templates for photo books in Indesign?

Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gre2gor For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Make the book - printed pages

I am still looking for some tips about what to do with the printed pages (when all the designing is over). How to make the book physically. I have paper that I can print only on one side. I need to glue them together and then put them in a cover somehow.

I am aware that with A4 printer I can not make A4 book. It has to be a bit smaller. I know that for A4 Cover I need A3+ print. Which glue do you prefer for pages? Any film like, double sided glue sheet?

If any tips, please share.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gre2gor For This Useful Post:

Junior Member borism25 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    it is best to give printed pages in private or some company who working with triple Cardboard and ask to put leather imitation...in mi city i pay 15E for one photobook that include:

Leather Imitation on Triple cardboard
    Gold names on front

if you can skip glue, try to print digital -> double side 250-300g paper (print few pages to see if you have big diffferents between you printer and some other)

EDIT: answer fo templates

you can create your templates on master "b" page after that just add page when needed...i have almoust same design on every page so i didn't try making something different
    Last edited by borism25; 01-18-2014 at 01:44 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to borism25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If you're completely set on this whole page lamination business, and you don't value your sanity, you could use 3M Super 77 Spray adhesive. I suspect there are better glues, but I've used it, and it works. The downside is it has a fairly aggressive bite, and any overspray will show, so you'll have to figure some way to register the paper. You get one shot at aligning it. You'll want to wear disposable gloves and at least a dust mask when working with it, because you don't want to be inhaling glue particles. And again, once you've got your pages stuck together, binding them yourself is going to be a pain in what's technically known to the medical community as a tuchus. There's a reason that few people do this work by hand and why commercial printing is done on machines - the sorts of machines you're not likey to have around the house. Tough paper requires a tough binding and that requires patience and a willingness to get stabbed with the damned needle again. And again. The thimbles: they do nothing!

If you're willing to sacrifice a traditional binding, you could do a spiral binding or a removable-type binding and put a nice hard cover around that. If you're crafty you could even stretch fabric over the whole cover/binding deal and it'd look quite decent when the book was closed, but again this is a long walk for a small glass of water.

I can't recommend enough finding some other way. What you're suggesting is a lot of work that you may appreciate, but you'll likely be the only one. There are easier, cheaper, less painful and far more durable options than trying to do this on the cheap at home.

Banned mossydenis is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    In your layout make sure you keep about 10mm-15mm extra on the side you are going to bind. That way it will be nice and even when finished. You can use 'Spray mount' adhesive spray like this one to glue your pages back to back. This is the only one that has ever worked for me. It's absolutely brilliant.

Photopaper is very smooth at the back - so you might want to put enough on - then place some heavy books on top to make sure the bond is good. If you can get hold of a 'page trimmer' to square up the edges after your done it would be handy for you (incase there are tiny 1mm overlaps).

On the binding part - you can check out
    http://www.creativebloq.com/indesign/bind-your-own-books-5132651

Great fun - and a great gift to a loved one
    Last edited by mossydenis; 01-26-2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: 'ant' to 'want'

Junior Member Dissident1 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I would suggest farming it out if you are not going to navigate your business towards doing this on a regular basis. Unless you are going to go with Japanese binding, the whole process takes time, patience, and knowledge to bind traditionally without the aid of a multi-million dollar shop with the equipment to automate the process.

Thanks
    I have an option to do books from PDF (indesign or quark) in our company. But I would like to do the books at home.

For now the best workflow for DIY books is two sided print on suitable paper. Then I fold the sheets with help of a plastic stick whit which I crease it in the middle. Then I alig the sheets and put them in the right order. I clamp them together and with some sand paper i sand them at the back. I put on some binding glue and over that I give some bandage. I live it for an hour.

Then I make a hardcover and with the help of glued bandage i fix it on the cover. Before the cover do not forget to trim the glued block.

And at the end I am finished. It is true that if i browse trough the book to eagerly I can pull out some sites :(

Next i will try to sew the pages.

15. Your ad here

Banned greg1987gt is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    3M Adhesive He should suffice, because I know the company and makes photobooks using this glue. And also uses such a machine. This machine also uses CeWe Color. But the paper are very delicate.

http://7215.sklejarka-do-ksiazek-ehlermann-golf-12-model-gb.4bm.pl/

Member rocktopus will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. please Register to gain full access.
    This handout WILL teach you how to bind books, and also has an overview of the tools and materials you'll need. It's very simple but thorough. It's how I learned, and I am proficient enough that I've given binding demos. Good luck!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rocktopus View Post
    Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. please Register to gain full access.
    This handout WILL teach you how to bind books, and also has an overview of the tools and materials you'll need. It's very simple but thorough. It's how I learned, and I am proficient enough that I've given binding demos. Good luck!
    You got a password for that .zip file you rode in with, Tex?

Member rocktopus will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetinari View Post
    You got a password for that .zip file you rode in with, Tex?
    Code:
    Last edited by rocktopus; 02-09-2014 at 11:20 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to rocktopus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thumbs up

Actually, the password is "printroot.com".
    Yours was "Printroot.com"
    passwords are case-sensitive, but thanks for the information!

+ Reply to Thread