+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is best for business cards?

Junior Member thoaster is a jewel in the rough thoaster is a jewel in the rough thoaster is a jewel in the rough
    Thanks

What is best for business cards?

Hey guys,

I want to make some cool business cards and wanted to ask you how would your business card be? Plastic, modern-designed or vintage paper-printed? Would you keep them simple or add as many as possible infos?

PRC Member spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thoaster View Post
    Hey guys,

I want to make some cool business cards and wanted to ask you how would your business card be? Plastic, modern-designed or vintage paper-printed? Would you keep them simple or add as many as possible infos?
    if you want a cool business card you have to put it in the refridgerator!

a business card has to reflect the owners business and has to transport a certain feeling or message.
    there is no general rule for the perfect bc! take a look at some bcs and ask yourself why they are so different!

Banned ilhanmansis is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Hey guys,

Heres some great examples of different business card techniques http://www.studioonfire.com/custom-print/ . embossing, blocking etc

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ilhanmansis For This Useful Post:

Junior Member xellent85 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    For my first set I went the generic way and I will never do that again. They did not reflect my personality or my business. I will be going with a simple letterpress design. Check out local printers and see what they can do for you

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xellent85 For This Useful Post:

Junior Member Soren is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I think the most important thing is to think about your identity first. What are you trying to say? In which way do you comunicate? Otherwise, your decisions are just arbitrary. A vintage looking card won't work if you're trying to be modern and casual. Sometimes it helps to write down a few things, like what you would like people to think/feel in the very moment they receive those cards.

Junior Member Morineko is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Sort of to echo what other people have said - a business card sends a message about the business/person. I don't tend to be a fan of plastic cards, unless there's a good reason for it (doing something neat with the transparency, for example).

One thing that's really important to me in a card is not just the visual design, but the texture. My cards use SpotUV on a matte surface, because I like having the highlight and the texture when you rub a finger over it. Likewise, thermography or an interesting paper can have a similar effect.

Junior Member luckyme is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    for most pros, understated elegance is best. you don't want the card to scream "I spent way too much time, effort, and money on this" or "look I did this myself with illustrator".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luckyme For This Useful Post:

Member zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold zeitgeistsfo is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    I like thick, semi-transparent Vellum as the paper choice. The design itself should be memorable but understated. Don't try to fit every piece of info on it.

Normal Member withoutsans is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Plastic, modern-designed or vintage paper-printed?
    To answer the part of your question about the card material, paper is pretty much always a better choice, unless the brand has some specific tie to plastic.

Keep your design choices simple to start with, and choose a stock in the general range of 80lb cover to 200lb cover.

The key to a successful business card is communication. If it is overly complicated to the point of obscuring the critical information, then it's not able to functionally do its job. It's okay to include a lot of information, but organize it clearly and cleanly.

Banned Coleslaw is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Best thing to do if you're unsure is to contact your printer and ask for a range of samples. Most places will do this for free.

14. Your ad here

Junior Member noahlenox is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Just keep it simple, with less and objective information. You can impact using a diferent material as support. I would avoid too many graphics on it or a giant logo

16. The Following User Says Thank You to noahlenox For This Useful Post:

Banned Unsu is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'm less and less impressed with 'creative' business card ideas as the fad wears off. If you want a client to fire you into their rolodex - keep it bold, clear, contrasting and direct.

I think the business card might work for an initial eye catch - but if you want to keep being referred too, I'd use your portfolio as the eye catch and business card as the easy-to-read contact.

Junior Member jaegerbomb is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    Some great points here, I will definitely use next time i do a card, I am also a big fan of using really thick stock like 320+gsm i find it gives the cards weight, and i found that if i leave a pile of them on a table they will be all taken really quickly.

Normal Member jointhedots is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I recently had some business cards made, 3 layers white-orange-white, 300gsm each, 900gsm total, with Grey, Black and Orange type. They got me a job!

Junior Member orane is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Business Cards Design Guidlines

Keep it simple, your business card is not and should never be an advert. If you need to advertise, then create a flyer for that. It all depends on the business. It is the finish of the business cards that normally makes the business cards. There are three main finish (gloss laminated, matt laminated and uncoated). It depends on where you are in the world, the finish you choose me send a different message about the product or service you provide.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to orane For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast