+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sometimes, I really hate production people.

Banned torch511 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Sometimes, I really hate production people.

Sorry I have to vent - You take the time to design the overall aesthetic of a product and after much back and forth the customer finally says the all important words - "SOLD".

Elation soon turns to dread because then the production people get a hold of it and say "Well... we really don't want to make that like that, we're going to do THIS instead"

Grrrrrrrrr. I have enough years in the business to understand this chicken or the egg argument and having worked both sides of the coin I get it, I really do. Do we design for production or should production produce the design? It's so frustrating. It's not like I am asking to invent a new printing process or anything. The capability exists. Just because it's not as EASY as every other job that get's sent to the floor does not mean it should not be done.

This is one of the hazards of working for a company that does both design and production. Thank you for letting me vent.

PRC Member johnlongthomas is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    If you have problems with "Production People" you should step back and take a look in the mirror. "Production" is what it says, not pretty little school projects from inexperienced or fanciful designers.

Real designers who have a little credibility do not have constant problems in production especially if there is co-operation and respect all the way round.

Banned torch511 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    With over 30 years in the business, with over 12 years working and managing production in a multitude of different industries... I hardly think I am "inexperienced". Nor is an entire ADA compliant wayfinding system for a multitude of state government office building under renovation a "pretty little school project".

That's not to say you don't have a valid point, and over the course of many years I have had this argument with both designers and production people.

You are correct, I think really good designers DO consider production especially if it's a real-world product that has limitations. More-so during these large scale projects where small changes can have substantial impacts both positive and negative.

In this case however, one of the production managers is just trying to use his position because he has an aversion to one process over another and is pushing it at the expense of an aesthetic that has already been designed, sampled and approved. It's saving time here but adding it back in there with a IMHO a cheaper looking product that won't last as well. It has it's merits and for some applications I would not mind, but not in this case.

PRC Member johnlongthomas is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    my apologies for the snide remarks

yar
    Junior Member yar is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Gotta go with torch on this one:

There are definitely days you need to vent, especially when it seems like production people are incredibly set in their ways and would rather be an obstacle than a participant.

The production people that I work with all like to make their pieces the one way that works and are always hesitant and stubborn to try new methods/output. Makes it hard when you spend your hours pitching fresh ideas to clients and it gets held up because "that's not how we usually do things".

There is an efficient way to produce, I get that. But there's also a time and place to try something new and refreshing. But I guess we're just silly daydreaming designers...

Donor ArtGuru will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

For Sure

I can also see both sides of the argument as I myself have been on both sides of the table, as a 'production' pre-press guy and a designer (as I am now). But I have to say I'd probably raise my ridges on this guy and the print company and speak to the client and the print company, about possibly finding a new company to print the project, if they can't handle the techniques needed to produce your project. You'd be surprised how everyone will change their attitudes, once this is suggested.

All the best in your endeavors and new year!

ArtGuru

Junior Member opensource will become famous soon enough opensource will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    I'm sort of new working with production people (not in design or selling, recently bit the bullet to trust outside people) as silly as that sounds. So far, they've been wonderful to work with. A bit of trial and error to nail down the process but it helps me as a designer to *not* do certain things just in the interest of ease on the production side. I changed my designs accordingly for an easier (and faster) workflow. Pre press guy was also real nice and helpful. I don't know if that's the norm in the industry but knock on wood, so far so good!

+ Reply to Thread