+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A question for those who have purchased fonts

Member fontsmania is a splendid one to behold fontsmania is a splendid one to behold fontsmania is a splendid one to behold fontsmania is a splendid one to behold fontsmania is a splendid one to behold fontsmania is a splendid one to behold fontsmania is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks

A question for those who have purchased fonts

Hi!

I have so far never purchased a font family through font vendors like Myfonts. I am just wondering whether or not the font designer/owner is informed by, say, Myfonts that you have purchased the font family at myfonts. To put it diffently: May I claim, for example, that I have purchased a font family of a designer through Myfonts if they ask me whether I've purchased their fonts when they see the use of their fonts in my design works?

Thank you for your input!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fontsmania For This Useful Post:

Moderator Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fontsmania View Post
    Hi!

I have so far never purchased a font family through font vendors like Myfonts. I am just wondering whether or not the font designer/owner is informed by, say, Myfonts that you have purchased the font family at myfonts. To put it diffently: May I claim, for example, that I have purchased a font family of a designer through Myfonts if they ask me whether I've purchased their fonts when they see the use of their fonts in my design works?

Seriously? Adobe tried to threaten the printing industry in Australia 10 years or so back saying that every down the line from designers to even the dude making the die forme for some embossing had to hold the license for the particular font.
    No listened and Adobe did not act to the best of my knowledge.....pmsl my Fontexplorer has 80000 fonts in it, a fair chunk is Adobe's. I have used, produced and exported work for years with the ahhhh me hearty poisss pirate fonts heeheheeee, and here in SA if designers want to use a dicky font I don't have they have to give it to me if they want me to plate, proof it or convert to paths and il slug them next if I have to change art in Pitstop next time.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Willburwilde For This Useful Post:

Member fontsmania is a splendid one to behold fontsmania is a splendid one to behold fontsmania is a splendid one to behold fontsmania is a splendid one to behold fontsmania is a splendid one to behold fontsmania is a splendid one to behold fontsmania is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willburwilde View Post
    Seriously? Adobe tried to threaten the printing industry in Australia 10 years or so back saying that every down the line from designers to even the dude making the die forme for some embossing had to hold the license for the particular font.
    No listened and Adobe did not act to the best of my knowledge.....pmsl my Fontexplorer has 80000 fonts in it, a fair chunk is Adobe's. I have used, produced and exported work for years with the ahhhh me hearty poisss pirate fonts heeheheeee, and here in SA if designers want to use a dicky font I don't have they have to give it to me if they want me to plate, proof it or convert to paths and il slug them next if I have to change art in Pitstop next time.
    Hi Willburwilde!

Thank you for your answer. My concern was and is actually more against independent font designers and small foundries than the big boys like Adobe! Then I have no problem with using fonts from such big boys, but when it comes to the fonts from the small and individual players, I have some concerns - some innerly-moral feelings like guiltiness above all! I might not be able to give an answer, when asked by such an designer whether I have purchased the license, would turn red and feel guilty!

Difficult to express my concerns/feelings, but if I could find out that purchasing a font license through Myfonts doesn't involve the designer/owner of that font, namely it is something totally between the purchaser and Myfonts, then I might find some relief and use some fonts in my design works. Otherwise I wouldn't dare and want to do so!

P.S. I really want to purchase fonts from such independent designers/small foundries to support their work! Hopefully soon!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fontsmania For This Useful Post:

Moderator Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of
    Thanks
    Hi Willburwilde!

Thank you for your answer. My concern was and is actually more against independent font designers and small foundries than the big boys like Adobe! Then I have no problem with using fonts from such big boys, but when it comes to the fonts from the small and individual players, I have some concerns - some innerly-moral feelings like guiltiness above all! I might not be able to give an answer, when asked by such an designer whether I have purchased the license, would turn red and feel guilty!

Difficult to express my concerns/feelings, but if I could find out that purchasing a font license through Myfonts doesn't involve the designer/owner of that font, namely it is something totally between the purchaser and Myfonts, then I might find some relief and use some fonts in my design works. Otherwise I wouldn't dare and want to do so!

P.S. I really want to purchase fonts from such independent designers/small foundries to support their work! Hopefully soon!
    Agreed, why not contact the font designer directly. And yes the smaller foundries and programmers do deserve such support, and I don't cond not paying for such.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Willburwilde For This Useful Post:

Junior Member coolkips is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Hi!

I suggest you to make an account at myfonts.com and you could starting buy some $0 fonts. So you could feel the purchase sensation.

FYI, in every online transaction there will be PDF receipt as your proof.

And once you have purchased some fonts, u will be noticed if there is some update version of the fonts you've bought before so you can redownload and got the newer version available.

Here some font you could try:
    [URL="http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/northernblock/corbert/regular/"]Corbert Regular/[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/northernblock/corbert/italic/"]Corbert Italic/[/URL]

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coolkips For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkips View Post
    I suggest you to make an account at myfonts.com and you could starting buy some $0 fonts. So you could feel the purchase sensation.

FYI, in every online transaction there will be PDF receipt as your proof.

And once you have purchased some fonts, u will be noticed if there is some update version of the fonts you've bought before so you can redownload and got the newer version available.

Here some font you could try:
    [URL="http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/northernblock/corbert/regular/"]Corbert Regular/[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/northernblock/corbert/italic/"]Corbert Italic/[/URL]
    Thanks for your reply! I think I couldn't make my point/question clear.

Let's say, you as "coolkips" sell your fonts at MyFonts and I as "fontsmania" have purchased your fonts there. Sure, I would receive PDF receipts of transaction, but what about you? How would my purchase be notified to you? As 1 more statistics, as just 1 (anonymous) person, just 1 (anonymous) customer of MyFonts or as "fontsmania"? In case of my purchase, would you be notified that I as "fontsmania" purchased your fonts?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fontsmania For This Useful Post:

Banned weisze will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

Let's say, you as "coolkips" sell your fonts at MyFonts and I as "fontsmania" have purchased your fonts there. Sure, I would receive PDF receipts of transaction, but what about you? How would my purchase be notified to you? As 1 more statistics, as just 1 (anonymous) person, just 1 (anonymous) customer of MyFonts or as "fontsmania"? In case of my purchase, would you be notified that I as "fontsmania" purchased your fonts?
    I doubt MyFonts tells the seller who the buyer is by default ... Imagine if you were selling Helvetica. That monthly statement would be a novel!
    Last edited by weisze; 10-18-2014 at 12:30 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to weisze For This Useful Post:

Thanks

From MyFonts:

In addition to viewing real-time sales reports, authorized representatives may request reports via e-mail, sent every month, every week, every day, or even every sale!

I think you'll have to ask them what is reported. :p

16. The Following User Says Thank You to weisze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weisze View Post
    I doubt MyFonts tells the seller who the buyer is by default ... Imagine if you were selling Helvetica. That monthly statement would be a novel! It might just be person/company buying multiple licenses, though, but you get my point, I hope.
    From MyFonts:

In addition to viewing real-time sales reports, authorized representatives may request reports via e-mail, sent every month, every week, every day, or even every sale!

I think you'll have to ask them what is reported. :p

Thank you for your input, weisze!

But it still remains (at least to me) unclear what (or what kind of info and to what extend) the reports might include. May the report for example include the Company-A or the Customer-B has bought the font family?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to fontsmania For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for your input, weisze!

But it still remains (at least to me) unclear what (or what kind of info and to what extend) the reports might include. May the report for example include the Company-A or the Customer-B has bought the font family?
    It's reasonable that the seller be informed about who the buyer is since the license agreement is between them.

On the other hand, it's also reasonable that the middleman (MyFonts) be reluctant to disclose the buyer's identity: there's no commission from direct sales! There might also be privacy issues, but I don't think this is a huge concern.

20. Your ad here

21. The Following User Says Thank You to weisze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's reasonable that the seller be informed about who the buyer is since the license agreement is between them.

On the other hand, it's also reasonable that the middleman (MyFonts) be reluctant to disclose the buyer's identity: there's no commission from direct sales! There might also be privacy issues, but I don't think this is a huge concern.
    Both sound reasonable to me as well. That said, I don't think disclosing the buyer's identity would raise commission-concerns for MyFonts since majority of designers (individual or foundry) have no sales mechanism on their own - and that's why they are there at MyFonts.

Thanks again!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to fontsmania For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Both sound reasonable to me as well. That said, I don't think disclosing the buyer's identity would raise commission-concerns for MyFonts since majority of designers (individual or foundry) have no sales mechanism on their own - and that's why they are there at MyFonts.

Thanks again!
    *shrug*

This is all speculation. heh

Anyway, I don't think it likely that you'll find a definitive answer here -- you can guess why! :p

Junior Member richsimms will become famous soon enough richsimms will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    I worry about this pretty often as well. Many great font resources on this website but who is to say whether or not the company's can tell if you have purchased the font or not.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to richsimms For This Useful Post:

Junior Member coolkips is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

I think the report just a number with anonymous identity. As these are general items (personal & commercial use license). After you bought some commercial licenses, u have a right to use it in your commercial product... And in this case maybe later the font author notice if his/her fonts used in the market.
    It's as simple as "you sell a car", then the only important think is how many cars sold and the identity of the owner remain anonymous to the car maker.

Another issue is corporate fonts, its differents coz you need mention the specifications of the fonts that will used as corporate identity.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to coolkips For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread