+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Encad NovaJet - Carriage axis failure

Decebal

Question Encad NovaJet - Carriage axis failure

Hi,
    I have some troubles with my Encad NovaJet 880. Sadly I cant print anymore because the carriage stops moving exactly at the same place, right after finishing the cleaning cartridges procedure at the beginning of the print. The error displayed on the tiny screen of the device is "CARRIAGE AXIS FAILURE". I have to shut down and restart the device every time. After restarting, the device finishes without problems all the start-up checks that the device is preprogarmmed to run. The problem occurs if I operate the device to print anything, even the device own tests wouldn' print.
    Any ideea where the problem is and eventually what needs to be done, repaired or replaced?
    Here is a 5 mins clip which shows the problem at minute 3:07 and 4:46.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-oOgtl77sY
    Last edited by Decebal; 10-22-2011 at 10:05 PM.

henesy
    See this service manual http://www.wideformat.kodak.com/support/Tech-Bulletins/files/Kodak%201200i%20Technical%20Bulletin%208_10312005. pdf , look on page 15.. http://www.encad.com/Support/Files/SM/NJ567Service Manual-ENG.pdf.. also on http://www.encad.com/Support/NKB/errors/files/083.pdf i also encountered CAE when I cleaned my ink cartridges with a swab..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to henesy For This Useful Post:

Junior Member ro.plotter is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Did you try to change the bushings?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ro.plotter For This Useful Post:

Decebal

Thumbs up

I really appreciate your replies, guys. But i just can't figure it out where the problem really is. It could be the encoder strip, encoder sensor, bushings or even the servomotor. I need to test them separately. I also checked the encoder strip for visible damage before opening this thread and it seemed ok to me. The encoder sensor is very hard to reach for cleaning purposes. It is positioned somewhere on the backside of the carriage and I need to dissasemble the whole device just to get to it. Servo motor seems to work fine and you can see that when you watch the small videoclip i've posted on youtube. I will check again the servomotor next weekend. Now about the bushings - does anyone know when bushings need to be replaced for sure?

Junior Member john123456 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Carriage Bushings

Hi, I have an Encad 700 novajet that had the same problem, changing the bushings did the trick, while I had it stripped down I also changed the belt and the tensioner, now it works fine.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to john123456 For This Useful Post:

Junior Member dirttrasher is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Yes, this is a problems with the bushings, same here at our old Pro600e, after changing them he works fine.

xclam
    Yes bushings need replacing, you require 6 (not just 4), very inexpensive from LZ Sourcing.

In the service manual you are advised to not lubricate them, we tried using WD40 on the old bushings - which sort of helped, but not much - I can only assume some sort of 'suction' occurs when they are 'wet'.

Once we replaced the bushings it sorted the axis errors, but made a horrendous vibrating noise when sliding back and forth - the bushings are supposed to be impregnated with silicon, but maybe this was absent in the cheap chinese parts.
    To rid the wheezing noise we spray silicon onto the slide bar and around the bushings every so often - runs lovely and smooth now :)

UNIT-01
    I would agree with everyone in changing the bushings. I did that with my 880 when I replaced all my printheads just to be sure I wouldn't have the same problem your having.

+ Reply to Thread