+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chinese UV Flatbed printers?

Donor oxident will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

Chinese UV Flatbed printers?

Hi!

Is anyone here using a chinese flatbed printer? I've seen some Epson R2x0/330 based ones on AliExpress and I'm wondering if they are worth trying.

I'm speaking about small format (A4) sized printers with CMYKW inks...

Thanks for your opinions!

Junior Member Saint Jus is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I was talking to the engineer that services our HP flatbed about these. Parts are a real issue apparently. The models change frequently and parts become unavailable to replace. There is also very limited after-sales service with these machines.

PRC Member johnlongthomas is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    They are ok when you take into account what you pay. Some are as low as $1200. The general idea is that at the moment you buy the machine you know you are going to have to throw it away. The calculation then is how much revenue you will generate before that happens.

The more expensive Chinese machines last longer. Heads, dampers, pump units are all commonly available on alibaba from multiple suppliers

An important consideration is which rip is provided

Thanks
    Okay, these are good points indeed. Thanks for that.
    As I'm infact thinking about one of those $1200 units I will first try to calculate the possible revenues.

Am I wrong if I'll guess an average lifetime of 3-5 years, depending on the usage, of course?

When talking about the RIP, I would try to drive those machines with either ColorGate or Fiery XF. Especially ColorGate has a nice "generic" output mode for industrial inkjet devices which can be fine tuned to almost any kind of ink combination (including white and/or gloss enhancer).

My main concern is how those machine would "survive" if not being frequently used. I mean, do they perform some kind of automatic maintenance to keep the ink suply system "fluid" (like large format printer do)?

Thanks
    I'm thinking 5 years is optimistic. If you are going to leave the printer for a bit it is better to have a set of cleaning solution cartridges and get the ink out of the lines. for shorter breaks make sure the lips of the capping station are clean.

I am not to sure about the rips you mention. It depends on the underlying epson model that determines choices

Thanks
    Great. Thanks for these information.

As far as I can tell, most chinese printers use Epson RX280/380 print heads.

Unfortunately, none of my RIPs (Fiery XF / ColorGate) do support those print heads directly. I only have the ability to create those generic TIFFs, hoping that the supplied RIP software can pass them more or less unchanged to the device ;-)

Just one additional question: Could you estimate the time span where it's advisable to remove the ink completely? Are we talking about days, weeks or even months?

Thanks
    Solvent about 10 days -2 weeks. UV a bit longer

+ Reply to Thread