+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bussines card printing equipment

Junior Member wwpro is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

bussines card printing equipment

Hi there

I'd like to ask here, because I belong to a lot of forums, but mostly for vinyl cutting and wide-format printing, so not a lot of people there know about what I'm about to ask.

What do I need in order to produce short to medium runs of business cards ?

I'm in a small town in a tiny country, so resources are not abundant, but I see tons of desktop inkjet printed cards around here, and obviously, quality isn't good.

I don't have the room, the money or the knowledge to get into traditional offset (not even sure how that works either) but since I'm gonna be subbing out the large orders of flyers and cards, I'd love to be able to produce some short runs (100-200) in-house to lock the customer in while we produce more products for them.

I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me

Banned AMDtje is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Can't you just buy a multicopier ( for instance Xerox has some) from outside town and get it delivered? A deskjet printer is indeed not what you want and a digital press is very expensive. Maybe you just have a look at that?

Thanks
    that's the kind of advice I was looking for, I have no idea what's needed equipment-wise, so if you have some specific suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

Thanks
    I've been looking around all weekend, but without knowing what I'm looking for is kinda hard, so if any of you with some experience in this matter want to throw a recommendation for some machines I'd be grateful , that would make my research much easier.

take care

Thanks
    been a while, but would like to know if someone else have something to suggest.
    Busy doing some other stuff but still interested in this issue.
    Thanks

Junior Member Clevedemo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Just print commercially.

Hello users, I print through a site called partnerprinting.com, you need to register with them before you can buy print. But its the cheapest, much better than printing at home.

Junior Member wandrercat is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wwpro View Post
    been a while, but would like to know if someone else have something to suggest.
    Busy doing some other stuff but still interested in this issue.
    Thanks
    The budget you have and the volume you are looking at on per month basis etc is the key to tailor print on demand business or invitation cards etc.The usual small biz way is to start with a used Xerox Docucolor 240/242 (3000 to 4000USD value)with its bundled external hardware RIP and a High Capacity feeder for heavy card stock such as for above 260 gsm on a later stage.
    You will also require a automatic business/invitation card slitter which you may buy in used condition from ebay etc within 1000USD
    But before you venture the Xerox way...make sure they operate in your country and offer service contracts,service parts and consumables.
    This is a solution which will enable you to use any card stock off the shelf in the 260 to 280 gsm weight category.For an inkjet solution you will require coated media for printing.

Happy Biz

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wandrercat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome reply, thanks a lot, now I know in which direction I should keep looking !

Quote Originally Posted by wandrercat View Post
    The budget you have and the volume you are looking at on per month basis etc is the key to tailor print on demand business or invitation cards etc.The usual small biz way is to start with a used Xerox Docucolor 240/242 (3000 to 4000USD value)with its bundled external hardware RIP and a High Capacity feeder for heavy card stock such as for above 260 gsm on a later stage.
    You will also require a automatic business/invitation card slitter which you may buy in used condition from ebay etc within 1000USD
    But before you venture the Xerox way...make sure they operate in your country and offer service contracts,service parts and consumables.
    This is a solution which will enable you to use any card stock off the shelf in the 260 to 280 gsm weight category.For an inkjet solution you will require coated media for printing.

Happy Biz

Junior Member gabibyte is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Get a second-hand DC12 from Xerox, costs 1000$. Costs you very little and will do the job. Then get a RIP for it and you're good to go. Prints fantastically, quality that newer machines really can't get. Lots of spare parts for it, cheap toner, etc.

After you've got your equipment and rip, find a good electric cutter, about 600$, a chinese new one, or second-hand ideal, that should work as well.

PRC Member johnlongthomas is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    oki c9655 from printerland uk - they ship world wide - then chips and tr from china. look on alibaba there is plenty to choose from. Oki prints on 300gsm, so good for cards.
    If you use the genuine original stuff oki will get all the profits and not you

12. Your ad here

Junior Member Minhor is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I saw of these in a fair here in brazil. Too expensive

Junior Member DonMarco is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'm in same situation as you are. If you want to start and evolve your business card business...go with used Xerox DC 252 or 260. You can get them for 3000-5000EUR if you are from Europe.

But since this is why to little to make living from it (just business cards)...you will of course start offering also flayers, letters, brochures, card etc etc...there are plenty of services you can make beside business cards.

So next step is to get guillotine...take electric ...don't buy manual guillotine...around 1.000€-1600€...buy only SRA3 paper.

Than you must find some local company which sells also manual machines for folding, creasing etc. You can maybe find company reselling chines machines. For start is OK, but if your business goes well...plan replacing them with expensive machines made in Europe.

Than you should test papers. Try at first Xerox paper and also test papers used for offset. Some distributors for offset shops are selling also paper for digital printing. You can save some my here and increase your profit.

Regarding Xerox...check very well Xerox service partner. You can't find spear parts anywhere online. Try to go for unofficial maintenance contract for start.

If you buy used Xerox machine...tell them to be calibrated. Make special attention also on RIP which must come with it. Creo RIP is dead which means there is no support any more. But it has function called DUPLEX. Efi Fiery which is 2nd option with Xerox doesn't offer duplex function. And this is used for 2sided flayers, brochures...

But your goal should be in year to go for new Xerox DC machine over Xerox FSMA maintenance contract. This will save your problems which you will have at beginning.

And don't make mistakes as many do...they start printing business cards with inkjet...if you don't laminate them...you will get bad references. Even if it's very cheap for customer..they will forget about that in a year. Offer only quality for reasonable price.

And you will success. Any invested in Xerox DC printer...made a success in a year. But you will learn a lot...expect sitting many hours testing and learning.

And don't go below DC 242, DC 252, DC260...I know from friend working at Xerox..this year Xerox will not supply and more spear parts for anything older than this models. This is why you can find old machines like DC12 on many sites for low price. Usually Xerox give 7-10 years availability to deliver consumables and spear parts from the day they launch product to the market.

My story...2nd hand Xerox 252 with Creo Rip...without contract....I have struggled a lot to make it printing proper colors. Replaced 80% on consumables and spear parts...spent so far 1.000€ just for this...very hard to get service technician to visit me...as they have priority to service customers on Xerox FSMA contracts...which made me a lot of delays for waiting and waiting and waiting...
    I have also invested in electric guillotine with 50cm depth. I'm cutting with it business card, flayers and brochures...now I must create web site and promote my self on internet. And I will have to invest again in future for additional manual machines to cover production of all digital products.

I wish you a lot of luck....

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonMarco For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread