+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best font manager?

Junior Member Dannii is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Font Explorer

I've used every single font manager made for mac and I've had problems with them all. I bought Fontcase and them they wanted more money for an app that didn't have as many features so never upgraded. Had major problems with suitcase fusion, so I won't go there again. I'm sticking with Font Explorer since it works for me right now!

Banned Varun is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Font book is good enough

Junior Member grandemiks is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    FontExplorer X Pro is GREAT! Especially with the Skyfont integration.

Junior Member jeggue is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

blz

thank you

Banned tzpro is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Whats the difference?

Whats the difference between using a separate font manager or using Font Book on mac? Is there any real benefits using a separate font manager?

Cheers,

Junior Member jeralyn is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    I have been wondering if there was a way to organize fonts into different categories... do any of these managers do that? I work for a vintage-inspired company but they do different eras so sometimes I need 1920s fonts or 1950s fonts or something more modern and I feel like new fonts always get lost in the shuffle of trying to see what I have!

Junior Member francesco is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    The user interface of Suitcase Fusion is more complex than Fontexplorer but i definitely like Suitcase Fusion for its complete tools.

Banned ronaldwrx is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Font Explorer X .. i have a ton of fonts that aren't installed on the computer and like to browse them when working on designs.. I just pointed Font Explorer to my fonts folder (all the fonts, not just the installed ones) and it added them to my browse-able collection. Sometimes it feels slow or bloated but that is probably the fault of all the fonts i have. It also help find bad or corrupt fonts better than FontBook does ..

Junior Member Sundara is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    FontExplorer X with Skyfont...the best

Member MisterPink is a name known to all MisterPink is a name known to all MisterPink is a name known to all MisterPink is a name known to all MisterPink is a name known to all MisterPink is a name known to all
    Thanks
    FontExplorer FTW!

HTML Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. pleaseĀ Register to gain full access.

11. Your ad here

Banned Siggen is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Red face

Font explorer for sure...suitcase is odd:)

Junior Member PixelT is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tzpro View Post
    Whats the difference between using a separate font manager or using Font Book on mac? Is there any real benefits using a separate font manager?

Cheers,
    Using a separate font manager helps in a number of ways.

Primarily it helps you organise and categorise your fonts by client, project or any grouping or attribute you like. Font managers like Suitcase also come with an AutoActivation plugin for Adobe/Quark which will activate fonts as required. FontBook does this too but in a much more basic way suitable only for small collections of fonts. Handy also is the ability to preview a font in various ways without having to install or activate the font.

Secondly, and this is where FontBook falls down, as fonts are so tightly integrated into the OS expanding your collection of font can have a huge impact on system performance. Try installing 50 new fonts and opening Word, it'll 'optimise font menu performance' every time you launch which takes ages when all you wanted was a bit of manuscript.

Font Managers allow you to strip your system fonts to only required fonts which keeps performance high while allowing you to hold a collection of thousands of fonts outside of your Fonts folder (mine stands at over 77,000 as I keep multiple font versions and there's no performance hit). FontBook holds all your fonts in one folder which quickly becomes a folder that will hang when opening. Worse than that it's a system font folder which will lead to system hangs and crashes and should something go wrong even broken apps and a broken system.

Have a read of this guide created by Extensis (the maker of Suitcase). It covers guidelines for general font management irrespective of software used.

http://www.extensis.com/downloads/font-management-best-practices-guides/

So in short, you should definitely use a font manager other than FontBook. Which one hardly matters as long as best practices are followed.

Oh and, be careful clearing out non-essential system fonts, there are required OS fonts (for example, OSX 10.5: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1642) and required Application fonts (scroll to bottom: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.html). Backup first!!

Good luck!
    Last edited by PixelT; 09-18-2014 at 04:10 AM. Reason: formatting

Banned rHessmann is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I've been using FontExplorer X since i moved to Mac.
    My font catalog is organised as never before.

Normal Member Johnman is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Nexus Font

What does everyone think of Nexus Font? I suppose since no one's recommending it here, it's not what you use. I find that it's okay, but maybe I'm expecting more. Any insight is appreciated.

Junior Member Mars is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    For my very basic needs I use 'Fonts'. A simple, neat and beautifully designed app for mac.
    Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. pleaseĀ Register to gain full access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast