+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jimmy - the TTF/OTF Embedding Rights fiddler

Donor dontbeefkeith is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Jimmy - the TTF/OTF Embedding Rights fiddler

Hi,

I'm not new to the forum but have not made any posts (and therefore have no privileges!), so thought I'd start a thread and offer up one of the tools I created for our studio. Jimmy is for when we get the pesky problem of TTF or OTF fonts denying us the right to embed them in PDF's.

I've noticed this is a problem with more and more fonts nowadays. It's all down to the "fsType" flag in the "OS/2" windows metric table:
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/os2ver0.htm#fst

Jimmy is an applescript wrapper made in extremely bad taste* for a C++ command line tool called ttfpatch.

ttfpatch was written by a German bloke called Wolfram Eßer over a decade ago. I have made a few changes and tidied up the code so it would compile properly on OS X (10.9 mavericks) but much of the main guts remain, I may re-write it as a native objective-c app but it will do for now. Cheers Wolfram - nice job.

Just run the app and select the font files - Jimmy will cycle through them overwriting the original file, so make sure you have a backup of the files. I accept no responsibility for it screwing up your font file but please let me know if you find any bugs and I'll endeavour to iron them out.

Jimmy was compiled on Mavericks 10.9 - I've no idea wether it will work on older operating systems, this is a suck it and see/work in progress. To get this to work you may have to Allow apps downloaded from anywhere in the Security preferences.

Ok so here goes:
    Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. please Register to gain full access.
    *I accept not everyone shares a dark sense of humour. If this app, which bears the name and likeness of the infamous sexual predator and UK city of Leeds' former favourite son, upsets anyone: Please, don't use it. Sit in the shower and cry whilst your fonts remain un-embeddable.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dontbeefkeith For This Useful Post:

PRC Member pilotexx will become famous soon enough pilotexx will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

in place of Saville...

...can I change the icon with Page?
    Thanks, anyway

Thanks
    Hey pilotexx

Haha, you can change or modify this software any way you see fit mate ;)

I originally called the app fontfiddler but after this whole operation yewtrew stuff kicked off a few lads from the studio at our place decided it should have a different designation.

If you ever want the source for it just let me know - I'll be re-writing it soon in Xcode and making it available as a free download soon.

All the best

DBK

PRC Member pilotexx will become famous soon enough pilotexx will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    it's ok, was just a joke.
    I prefer english music star than english sexual predator.
    Now I have jimmy that plays his Gibson...
    Thanks

Thanks
    No worries mate - hope you find a use for it at some point.

+ Reply to Thread