What's new in Xara Web Designer Premium 11:
These are objects that you can 'stick' in place as the page scrolls underneath. A good example is the NavBar which you can stick to the top of the page as viewers scroll down, so they can still easily navigate to other pages without having to scroll back up to the top. In v11 any object can be stuck to any position on the page, or the left of right edge of the browser window.
Website designs with no obvious page boundary are now very popular, and in this sort of design you'll commonly see a page background that covers the entire browser window and stretches to fill the browser width. In Web Designer 11 you can make any rectangle or image stretch to fill the browser window, either horizontally or vertically.
New Animation Possibilities
A new Web Animation dialog introduces powerful and easy to use new animation capabilities. You can now set up objects to:
- Animate on mouseover
- Animate on reveal ie when the object first comes into view or a trigger object comes into view. So for example you can set objects to slide or fade into view as you scroll down a page
- Animate on click (or tap on a touch device)
Text Handling Enhancements
- Auto-correct / abbreviation expansion. Create your own list of abbreviations that will be automatically expanded as you type, so for example XWD could be expanded to Xara Web Designer as you type. It's great for symbols too - for example you might set up yen to render ¥
- Auto-creation of links when you type a URL so for example typing xara.com will automatically create a link to the Xara site
- A text background color option so you can easily highlight words
- An easy way to replace one font with another throughout a document (especially useful for replacing missing fonts in imported PDFs)
- 'Update style to match' option (useful for copying styles from another document or applying styles to unstyled documents, particularly imported PDFs)
- More detailed information on font permissions in Document Information
- Accurate export of text with manual kerns
- Update of the Font Awesome Symbols (a quick & easy way to insert symbols from the large and growing Font Awesome selection. The full set is displayed via the Insert menu)
- Google fonts updated
- Fonts will look correct in exported documents where fonts are missing if outlines are embedded (for example from imported PDFs, most of which include embedded character outlines).
Document Sync With Dropbox or GDrive
Web Designer can now sync files via Dropbox and Google Drive. So if you have the same file open on multiple computers, and you make an edit and save the file on one computer, it will be updated in Web Designer on the other computers.
And there's another bonus: Dropbox and Google Drive maintain older versions of your files, and provide easy ways of viewing and reverting back to earlier versions (in Dropbox simply right click on a file and select 'View previous versions'). This is a safe, easy and storage-saving way of maintaining multiple versions of your website files.
Other Minor Enhancements
- Objects are automatically resized down to column width when you insert them into a text column
- Ability to control the inter-page gap in vertical and horizontal supersites
- Web export options dialog now usable offline
- A new option Arrange > Combine Shapes > Intersect all shapes (the overlapping areas of shapes become separate shapes)
- Improved support in the drawing tools for modern touch devices, including the Microsoft Surface stylus
- Small improvements in the drop-down menus
- Some improvements to photo gallery widgets (you can now set the size of the pop-up)
- New photo text panel SmartShape
- InfoBar pulses on tool selection.