+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rip for Epson 9900 - Fine art Print

Junior Member alonsp is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philoumg View Post
    Hi,

I search good rip for fine art printing (photography big size). I don't need cmyk tools. Something like QTR (don't exist for 9900) ?

Thanks
    Philippe
    You can print from photoshop

Junior Member grandpa is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Look here:
    http://www.epson.co.uk/article/1227893598203
    and here:
    http://www.epson.co.uk/Explore-Epson/1228061298146

Junior Member sdonmez is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I suggest EFI or PosterPrint by Ergosoft..

PRC Member moutonnoir is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ivo1234 View Post
    EFI is the best choice. QTR is not an option for professional work.
    Driver is certainly a better option than QTR.
    ONYX supports 9900. I have a printer 9900 and printed with ONYX X10. Well printed with RGB profiles from the site of ONYX. As ONYX, and EFI have direct printing using RGB profiles and has no problem with the size of print.
    In order to print mostly CMYK stuff, would new profiles have to be created for all the papers in ONYX?

Or is the CMYK to RGB the printer\driver\rip do good enough?

aaron125
    Quote Originally Posted by michel View Post
    I have tried all the rips and the best quality for epson printers is Photoshop itself. the epson driver is the best optimized for the printer.
    If you have to have a rip, try the Colorgate. it uses the driver itself and the calibration is a breez
    michel
    Really!!?? ALL of the RIPs available worldwide and you've tried each and every one of them? Yeah, right!

If, as you claim, you've tried them all and claim none are able to better the Epson driver, why then does Mark Dubovoy absiolutely insist he can see VISUAL improvements to his prints when using ImagePrint 9? And he did a blind test with several people, both photographers and non-photographers and the answers were unanimous - EVERY person chose the ImagePrint output as being better/higher quality than the Epson driver output.

And EXACTLY what where the downfalls of MegaRIP or BlackMagic? Vincent Versace is sponsored by Epson and X-Rite, yet he still uses BlackMagic for some of his extremely high-end print work when the Epson driver simply cannot output the image the way he desires it to be printed.

And when you say that you've tried ALL of the RIPs available, how much did you actually get to try them? Did you linearize, profile and optimize those profiles for EVERY single RIP available? Would have taken you months, if not years to do that for just a few papers per RIP.

You really should not make such ridiculous and frankly stupid remarks like that, especially when you have provided absolutely ZERO qualifications for such a sweeping statement. By that I mean you don't say the Epson driver is better at x,y,z but obscureRIPw is actually better for gradients going from cyan to red to azure or something like that.

Seriously, EVERY single RIP available? Did you purchase each and every one of them or use a trial or what?

Would love to hear your answers.

Junior Member dzan is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Efi

We have used EFI for years and always had good luck with it.

Junior Member sunmage is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    What about ImageNest RIP?

http://www.bluecubit.com/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sakharov View Post
    May be even not Photoshop, but Lightroom. It has very good print module.
    New beta version of Lightroom 4 has very interesting softproof implementation.
    I agree actually, if the question is for straight-up photo printing - lightroom softproof is pretty good and much better than photoshop driver alone
    PrintRoot is sweet

Junior Member aspone is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    [URL="http://www.ergosoft.ch/products/studioprint/index.php"]Ergosoft StudioPrint[/URL]

[URL="http://www.gmgcolor.com/english/products/proofing/colorproof.html"]GMG ColorProof[/URL] - Fogra Cert. System

[URL="http://www.cgs.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24&It emid=42"]CGS ORIS COLORTUNER[/URL] - Fogra Cert. System

BestColor used to be better alone whitout EFI

aaron125
    Quote Originally Posted by moutonnoir View Post
    In order to print mostly CMYK stuff, would new profiles have to be created for all the papers in ONYX?

Or is the CMYK to RGB the printer\driver\rip do good enough?
    Just about ANY CMYK to RGB or vice-versa will turn out absolutely horrid! Absolute must to make new profiles.

BTW, Lightroom 4 is not beta anymore, it has been shipping retail version for a month or 2 now and 4.1 beta was released a few weeks ago.

But the softproofing is actually identical to that in Ps, it's just been dumbed-down and has the fancy background-colour-changing thing happening. But the actual implementation uses the same pipeline, AFAIK, so that whether doing a soft-proof in Lr or Ps, the on-screen display should be identical.

11. Your ad here

12. The Following User Says Thank You to aaron125 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron125 View Post
    Just about ANY CMYK to RGB or vice-versa will turn out absolutely horrid! Absolute must to make new profiles.

BTW, Lightroom 4 is not beta anymore, it has been shipping retail version for a month or 2 now and 4.1 beta was released a few weeks ago.

But the softproofing is actually identical to that in Ps, it's just been dumbed-down and has the fancy background-colour-changing thing happening. But the actual implementation uses the same pipeline, AFAIK, so that whether doing a soft-proof in Lr or Ps, the on-screen display should be identical.
    ah.. apparently i was mistaken then - i have been using lightroom for the first few times recently, and doing stuff with it i havent done in photoshop, so i suppose i maybe was comparing the driver-preview experience in photoshop, when there is another mode i could print from in Ps?
    PrintRoot is sweet

aaron125
    OMG!!! That preview in the print dialog box is just that, a preview - yes, it's colour managed and has the check boxes but it is impossible to determine anything much at all with all that background clutter from the print settings! It isn't soft-proofing as suvh, just a colour managed print preview.

For soft-proofing to be half-way accurate, one must use either a mid-grey or paper-white background, with NO palettes, no dialogs, no borders, no on-screen stuff to dilute one's vision or pollute one's colour judgement abilities.

So the soft-proofing in Lr is ok but still nowhere near the ability of the soft-proof in Ps as I don't think there's any way in Lr to make the soft-proof take up the entire screen, with absolutely no other borders or dialog boxes, as can be done in Ps.

One fabulous thing in the Lr version though, are those 2 out of gamut check marks, one for screen and one for printer. Such an extremely useful addition, I sure hope it's implemented into Ps CS6 when the final retail version of the proggy is released.

Banned naiti is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    ImagePrint 8 good idea

Banned naiti is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    thanks alot for sharing...

aaron125
    Quote Originally Posted by naiti View Post
    ImagePrint 8 good idea
    I disagree - it's quite old software now and ImagePrint 9 is far superior in every way possible. There's no point having the best printer available, only to cripple it with old software which certainly doesn't use the printer to it's maximum capabilitiies. Does v8 even support the x900 printers?

Either way, don't worry about v8, v9 is the way to go if that's what you're looking for.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast