+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about Onyx X10 simultaneous ripping and performance

Junior Member happi02 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Question about Onyx X10 simultaneous ripping and performance

I'm confuse when reading documents on Onyx website.
    1. Is it require to have 2 actual CPUs to run 2 active rips or just 1 dual core CPU is ok?
    2. To increase speed, the document said have 1 drive for bandhome and each drive per output device. Does this increase performance significantly?

I'm deciding about the RIP server spec. I dont want to spending much money if the optimum spec does not significantly increase the speed.

PRC Member moutonnoir is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by happi02 View Post
    I'm confuse when reading documents on Onyx website.
    1. Is it require to have 2 actual CPUs to run 2 active rips or just 1 dual core CPU is ok?
    2. To increase speed, the document said have 1 drive for bandhome and each drive per output device. Does this increase performance significantly?

I'm deciding about the RIP server spec. I dont want to spending much money if the optimum spec does not significantly increase the speed.
    I know next to nothing about Onyx RIP, but I do know about high performance computing in general, so I think I can almost answer your questions.

1. A dual core is basically two CPUs - for virtualization it often helps a lot to have a hyperthreading CPU, but there are acutally two CPUs on a dual core die, with a shared cache.
    1B) The CPU thing is mostly relevant to intel themselves, as they charge a lot extra for the ability to have multiple CPUs. But a new I7 3630K has 6 cores and can run 12 hyperthreaded virtual machines, or 5\1 virtual machines with their own dedicated core and ram, etc..

2. It seems very unlikely to me that multiple or extra hard drives in the same system will drastically improve your RIP performance - though i suppose software written to properly send two streams of data to two different drives WILL have more bandwidth... The multiple drives, if the MFG says a drive per output device helps, probably means multiple drives helps.. I would say it could be significant and around 25 to 40% difference to have multiple drives - but it depends completely on the chipset on the mobo and the specific drives you are using if your overall bandwidth can improve beyond a certain amount.

I recommend SSD for at least your main system and maybe 1 output device, then another SSD for the other device... SSDs have been a major upgrade for computers ive put them in - especially the recent very fast ones (4-5x faster than a HDD, and not marketing hype faster, actually faster)
    PrintRoot is sweet

Junior Member happi02 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Thank you again, moutonnoir. :D

I decided to go for i7 quad core.
    Including 4 SSDs:
    1 SSD for OS + software installation.
    1 SSD for BANDHOME (Onyx RIP temp)
    2 SSDs RAID0 for all output device (performance tested; ~700-800 MB/s).

The 500GB HDD price here is similar to 60GB SSD, and I don't need the space that much. So I chose the SSD for performance :)

PRC Member moutonnoir is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by happi02 View Post
    Thank you again, moutonnoir. :D

I decided to go for i7 quad core.
    Including 4 SSDs:
    1 SSD for OS + software installation.
    1 SSD for BANDHOME (Onyx RIP temp)
    2 SSDs RAID0 for all output device (performance tested; ~700-800 MB/s).

The 500GB HDD price here is similar to 60GB SSD, and I don't need the space that much. So I chose the SSD for performance :)
    The SSDs are amazing for speed, but I might be nervous with 4 SSDs like that on a single critical machine... The jury appears to be out, but most consider SSDs to be riskier than normal drives.

I have one system with an oldish SSD that was used daily for fairly intense CAD and 3D work for 2 years and had no problems though.. So i guess i got lucky, or maybe a lot of gamer-types constantly mess up their hardware and then complain on the internet.

whatever you do, dont defrag them!!
    PrintRoot is sweet

Junior Member chimaeragh is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moutonnoir View Post
    The SSDs are amazing for speed, but I might be nervous with 4 SSDs like that on a single critical machine... The jury appears to be out, but most consider SSDs to be riskier than normal drives.

I have one system with an oldish SSD that was used daily for fairly intense CAD and 3D work for 2 years and had no problems though.. So i guess i got lucky, or maybe a lot of gamer-types constantly mess up their hardware and then complain on the internet.

whatever you do, dont defrag them!!
    I agree. SSD is relatively new technology, and they have fewer maximum read/writes than HDD

+ Reply to Thread