+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Printhouse in a virtual environment?

Donor vco123 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Printhouse in a virtual environment?

Curious if any has any feedback/experience with how well RIP stuff runs as a virtual machine? Is it pretty much testing only performance, or would it be possible to run in a production environment on decent hardware?

Looking at a server with:

4 X 16 Cores
    256 GB Ram
    24 X 256 SSD drives

Pondering if it would be possible to run multiple RIP VM's on this box or not.

Member workflowmaster is just really nice workflowmaster is just really nice workflowmaster is just really nice workflowmaster is just really nice workflowmaster is just really nice
    Thanks

Virtual Printhouses

There are several large printing houses in Austria who swithced their workflow (real production!) completely to virtual environment recently. It's working perfectly from the point of performance and even better regarding management (e.g. backup).
    Your proposed hardware
    4 X 16 Cores
    256 GB Ram
    24 X 256 SSD drives
    would do for a medium size produktion workflow running multiple RIPs - 1) Workflow server (8-16 Cores, 16 GB RAM, 100+200+500 GB hard partitions; 2) 2 x RIP computers (each 8-16 Cores, 24 GB RAM, HDD requirements marginal) + a web/mail/ftp server if you like.
    Certainly, you will still have physical workstations (design, poduction management) in the network. And maybe your plate output device would require a physical connection as well (like Heidelberg Meta Shooter using a PCI Interface card to connect a Suprasetter Ctp device).
    Summarily, virtual production lines work well in real life, as the experience shows. Finance may be a bigger problem. The investment for a virtual environment (including virtual software price like VMWare etc) is considerably bigger as to buy 3 or 4 stand alone servers; and you need a competent administrator to manage the system. Thus, some companies decided against the change to VM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to workflowmaster For This Useful Post:

PRC Member spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vco123 View Post
    Curious if any has any feedback/experience with how well RIP stuff runs as a virtual machine? Is it pretty much testing only performance, or would it be possible to run in a production environment on decent hardware?

Looking at a server with:

4 X 16 Cores
    256 GB Ram
    24 X 256 SSD drives

Pondering if it would be possible to run multiple RIP VM's on this box or not.
    dont forget that your workflow or rip software has to be compatible with virtualized environments and can make use of all the hardware power!

Donor vco123 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Ya, that was why I was looking into the option. Client is looking to replace 5-6 RIP stations that all have varied workload and priority in the environment. I'm on more of the IT side than the print side, figured it might be possible to consolidate some of the systems and leverage more out of the hardware resources depending on the workloads.

The only other issue was anything legit that required a dongle, but the availability of dongle emulators/backup dongle images gets rid of the possible compatibility issue.

Something like this, but I'm curious if there's any benefit of Intel vs AMD? (I'm an Intel guy myself)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-POWEREDGE-C6145-SERVER-4-X-AMD-16C-6262-HE-1-60GHZ-128GB-RAM-24-X-256GB-SSD-/141108031239?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item20dab1af0 7
    Last edited by vco123; 11-12-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Member workflowmaster is just really nice workflowmaster is just really nice workflowmaster is just really nice workflowmaster is just really nice workflowmaster is just really nice
    Thanks

Compatible Workflow

Quote Originally Posted by spider View Post
    workflow or rip software has to be compatible with virtualized environments and can make use of all the hardware power!
    Heidelberg Prinect (Prepress Manager, Meta Dimension) definetly is.

PRC Member spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vco123 View Post
    Ya, that was why I was looking into the option. Client is looking to replace 5-6 RIP stations that all have varied workload and priority in the environment. I'm on more of the IT side than the print side, figured it might be possible to consolidate some of the systems and leverage more out of the hardware resources depending on the workloads.

The only other issue was anything legit that required a dongle, but the availability of dongle emulators/backup dongle images gets rid of the possible compatibility issue.

Something like this, but I'm curious if there's any benefit of Intel vs AMD? (I'm an Intel guy myself)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-POWEREDGE-C6145-SERVER-4-X-AMD-16C-6262-HE-1-60GHZ-128GB-RAM-24-X-256GB-SSD-/141108031239?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item20dab1af0 7
    common, are you kidding???

1.6 GHz is definately much too low! for ripping applications the cpu clock is much more important than the number of cpu cores. and dont make any experiments with amd.

most software manufacturers have very specific hardware requirements. if you take a different setup the installer might refuse to run or if you get into trouble afterwards you will get no support from the software hotline.

btw: using a hacked software with dongle emu for a serious production environment is an absolutely no go! you are always working with old software versions and have no chance to patch or upgrade if some strange bugs occur.

Donor nightshade is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    can be done. As a test we have an older version wasatch running in a vm on xp
    no issue as long as hardware can keep up and the dongle is vurtualised as well
    never tried bridging the usb from the host machine, but it might be possible to run the legit dongle that way, especially since some dongles seam harder to emulate

+ Reply to Thread