+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Native 64 bit Rips

Donor logface is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Native 64 bit Rips

I have looked through the listings in the Full Downloads section and, as far as I can tell, there are no RIPs that are native win 7 64bit. If I missed something, please let me know. So my question is, can a 32bit RIP process files larger than 4GB? Thanks.

PRC Member DoctorBlade is on a distinguished road DoctorBlade's Avatar
    Thanks
    In my more than 20 years in prepress, I have not seen a 4 GB file yet that needs to be processed on a RIP. Perhaps a 1-bit TIFF file that needs to be imaged on a VLF machine may be a good scenario to invoke a 4 GB file but then again that file will not be processed and will only be passed onto the machine for imaging. In my opinion the 4GB limit in 32bit system is not a limitation in RIP processing it is more of the OS and in a 64 bit OS you are not disallowed to install a 32bit software.

Junior Member sunsailor is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

64 bit

It's not a question of the input file being larger than 4Gb, but of the processing and screening consuming lots of memory.
    Try RIPing a large file for a high-res (600dpi) grand format printer (3.2mt wide), using error diffusion screening. It will bring Photoprint to it's knees in a system with the 4Gb RAM limitation (I believe it's 3Gb addressable by applications?) that WinXP imposes.

PRC Member johnlongthomas is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I thing the ability of a rip to use more than one processor more important than the amount of ram. Harlequin has tried offering multi processor support as and extra you pay for. Also a fast hard drive.

A cleanly installed machine without a lot of junk software will rip almost any file imagineable without falling over.

Well prepared pdf/postscript are also essential

If your rip is crumbling look first at how the document was prepared, try preflighting and flattening

Junior Member Beardy is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Haven't seen any probs w files over 4GB in a 32 bit RIP. Watch for transparency and big images together in PDF; that eats memory and could make problems.

Donor Speed_399 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    With onyx 7 on xp32bit i ripped a 68 pages (1.3mtx1.7mt) pdf that created a 78gb file and i was able to print without problems ... sure it took a while to rip .. something like 2 hours but ok

Junior Member aoidxc is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I guess there's no native 64 bit rip. Maybe you could install the 32 bit version on 64 bit OS if you use other software at the same time

Donor nightshade is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Hello
    Agreed, more ram is not always the answer. When we started doing wide format printing we had problems that were all resolved by preparing the files better. Any transparency gets flattened as well as files that have may layers, text converted to lines and making sure all components are in the correct colour space. We regularly get files from customers that we will check for any of these problems before going to print

tisoypinoy
    Isn't wasatch a native 64 bit application? I could be wrong but I though they were. I thought that Caldera has upgraded to also support 64

aaron125

Very few apps of any sort are NATIVE x64

Quote Originally Posted by tisoypinoy View Post
    Isn't wasatch a native 64 bit application? I could be wrong but I though they were. I thought that Caldera has upgraded to also support 64
    Just because a RIP or app will work in an x64 OS has absolutely no bearing or relevence as to whether the RIP/app in question is actually a native x64 app, as in actually coded from the ground-up to make use of x64 registers and OS.

You will find that there is an incredibly small number of apps which have been coded to be native x64 apps. Stuff like Diskeeper has for about the past 4-5 years, Photoshop has since CS4/5 but still not 100% x64 native, some 3D apps, some music and video editing apps are but no matter where you look, you will not find very much being x64 native.

When one considers the benefits of an x64 OS and how those benefits can be utilised to make the actual user experience perform better/faster/etc, it can be seen that even in 2012, there are still very few people/users who actually need or can make good use of the benefits of an x64 native app. The huge, vast majority of all software (and hardware) markets are taken up by the general public or just 'normal' users, not 'power users' or tech junkies or whatever, so there really isn't all that much incentive for software companies to completely trash their current apps and re-write and re-code them all afresh, for x64, starting from scratch, because that's what needs to be done to properly create an x64 native program.

So it really is a bit much to ask for x64 native RIP/app in most cases but your original question, regarding your 4GB query, most, if not all or just about all x86 RIPs will be able to handle well over 4GB files without too much hassle or creating too much drama. Just make sure your PC is up to the task you're asking of it.

11. Your ad here

Donor T. Schruda is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    EFI is supposed to work as 64bit now as i read.

aaron125
    If using an actual legit, bought copy and a physical dongle, it has been working no probs on x64 OS for quite some time.

Donor T. Schruda is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    i know. the emu doesnt work for EFI und x64.

onyx x10 and colorgate 6 and 7 work fluently under win7 x64. i dont think it has a 64bit engine tho like EFI is supposed to have

Junior Member lekluters is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I guess there's no native 64 bit rip. Maybe you could install the 32 bit version on 64 bit OS if you use other software at the same time

+ Reply to Thread