+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IPF8400 for Fine Art Prints : is a RIP worth a shot ? If yes, which do U think

Donor AlbertD is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

IPF8400 for Fine Art Prints : is a RIP worth a shot ? If yes, which do U think

Hi all,

We are new to the forum and will soon introduce ourselves, but in the meantime we have a pressing question that we hope some RIP guru can answer :

The question is in the title : We have just opened a Fine Art Print Studio and currently working with a single IPF8400.

We mainly print Photography arrk and our workflow so far does not include any RIP.

Do you think quality enhancement using RIP is significant enough for photography works to invest in such a solution ? We have a CMJN+4 profiling device (i1Publish Pro2) and thinking about using a RIP solution with custom CYMK profiles.

Thanks in advance for any answer...

ypd
    Donor ypd is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    No that would be a total waste of my. Even if you did get a RIP for an iPF printer you want that uses the RGB ink limiting built into the printer. You don't want to build gamut limiting CMYKcmykrgb profiles and it is really tough to build linearization and ink limits with these printers. There are 3-party front ends for the driver that gives you some RIP ability like nesting, conversion profiles, etc., but the driver as it comes from Canon already have some nesting capability.

If you wanting it as a proofer for offset presses that might be different.

Junior Member gdeap is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    EFI XF 4.58 pair of the IPF8400 perfect support

Donor AlbertD is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Thanks for the answers...

Well, we do not really care about the nesting capabilities, we do it manually in photoshop with custom actions for cut marks and color patches.

We are more curious about the eventual quality enhancement. We tend to believe what you say ypd, as the quality that comes out with default RGB drivers is more than satisfying. And ink limiting is taken care of by the RGB driver as well.

i guess to find out we'll try to get our hands on a compatible RIP and run some test prints to find out...

We only found colorburst that provides a trial version. Do you know if a trial version of EFI xF is available somewhere ?

ypd
    Donor ypd is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    If your doing your nesting in PS just use the Canon plugin for the iPF8400.

I have a Fiery XF rip that I use for other printers and it is capable of printing to the iPF9000 that I have. I only use the RIP to the iPF9000 for simulation proofing.

For file art printing of 16bit files from PS you will get no better quality with a RIP than what you can get with the plug-in.

+ Reply to Thread