+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Imposition" for the coimpletely clueless

PRC Member moutonnoir is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

"Imposition" for the coimpletely clueless

I do product design and graphic design.. I have used RIPs, but am not sure what imposition is - anyone have any comments on what Imposition tasks or software might be relevant to a epson 7900 for graphic design tasks? (mostly cmyk and pantone)

Thanks
    ohhh.. i see.. (heh)... it is placing items together for batch printing or plate creation...

at least that is it basically...

Member vulongmos will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Ex: You have multi pages document, then you need reorder and layout it to print on larger sheet, after fold pages must be in oder.
    This is 2-up document

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vulongmos For This Useful Post:

PRC Member spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moutonnoir View Post
    I do product design and graphic design.. I have used RIPs, but am not sure what imposition is - anyone have any comments on what Imposition tasks or software might be relevant to a epson 7900 for graphic design tasks? (mostly cmyk and pantone)
    imposition has nothing to do with graphic design. espacially not with epson 7900!

imposition is rearranging the single page order for correct folding and cutting after printing a double sided sheet.

unless you are printing a saddle stitch or perfect binding brochure on your 7900 you dont need to worry about imposition!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to spider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spider View Post
    imposition has nothing to do with graphic design. espacially not with epson 7900!

imposition is rearranging the single page order for correct folding and cutting after printing a double sided sheet.

unless you are printing a saddle stitch or perfect binding brochure on your 7900 you dont need to worry about imposition!
    Funny you mention perfect bind - i have two projects in the shop now that are catalogs in perfect bind style..

So imposition covers folding as well as positioning.. The way the software appears to work from screenshots reminds me a bit of the path finding tools used in CNC path algos and mapping algos.. Interesting.

thanks for the input - so let me ask the hard question - if i were doing a fairly complex folding brochure - how can imposition software help me in ways careful planning and arrangement of my items in my files wouldnt?

thanks!!

PRC Member spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moutonnoir View Post
    Funny you mention perfect bind - i have two projects in the shop now that are catalogs in perfect bind style..

So imposition covers folding as well as positioning.. The way the software appears to work from screenshots reminds me a bit of the path finding tools used in CNC path algos and mapping algos.. Interesting.

thanks for the input - so let me ask the hard question - if i were doing a fairly complex folding brochure - how can imposition software help me in ways careful planning and arrangement of my items in my files wouldnt?

thanks!!
    you cant output double sided sheets with your epson 7900. so imposition doesnt make any sense!

take a look here for a brief description of impositioning:

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imposition"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imposition[/URL]

the media you are printing with your epson will not be suitable for perfect binding:

the paper has a curl and you have to take the paper grain into account.
    synthetic paper might not take up the glue / hot melt.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to spider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spider View Post
    you cant output double sided sheets with your epson 7900. so imposition doesnt make any sense!

take a look here for a brief description of impositioning:

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imposition"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imposition[/URL]

the media you are printing with your epson will not be suitable for perfect binding:

the paper has a curl and you have to take the paper grain into account.
    synthetic paper might not take up the glue / hot melt.
    interesting information.. i am not planning on usin g the 7900 to mockup or proof the entire catalogs - just pages from it, so it should be fine.

i just recieved the 7900 yesterday - still trying to find a RIP to try.. about to try a demo, though i prefer to try a cracked or other full version - more fun!

+ Reply to Thread