As you know, the Adobe PostScript Driver Installer (aka winsteng.exe) does not work under 64-bit systems. So installation of a virtual printer using *.ppd-file is impossible.
I want to present you my solutions of this trouble.
These two small applications will help you to install printers on your Win x64.
Virtual PS Installer
This application can install a virtual PS-device into your system by its *.ppd in a few simple steps.
At this time application can install a virtual device at the "FILE:" port only.1. Put your *.ppd-s into any non-system(!!!) folder
2. Run the executable file
3. Click the "Add PPD(s)" button and navigate to your *.ppd folder. You can select few *.ppd files at once.
4. If you need, you can click on the names of selected devices and look some its properties into the "Printer Information" panel.
5. Click the "Install" button and wait while printers are installed.
6. Click "Install this driver software anyway" in the Windows Security alert window if it is necessary.
7. Now you can go to your "Devices and Printers" to configure your printers, set a default printer, etc.
So if you want to install your printers at another port, you should use the second utility.
INF File Generator
This utility can generate *.inf file from your *.ppd for follow install using the Windows "Add Printer" wizard.
Attention:Steps 1-4 are similar to previous.
5. Click "Make INF(s)" button. Produced *.inf files will be stored into your *.ppd folder
6. Go to "Start" —> "Devices and Printers" and choose the "Add a Printer" function.
7. Choose a printer location (Local or Network).
8. Choose a printer port and click the "Next" button.
9. Click the "Have disk…" button, navigate to your *.inf folder, and choose desired *.inf
10. Set a Printer name
11. Click "Install this driver software anyway" in the Windows Security alert window if it is necessary.
12. Now you can set a printer sharing, set a printer as default (or not), print a test page…
Utilities are provided AS IS. Use this software at your own risk.
Both utilities require .NET framework v 2.0 or later.
Both utilities tested with UAC off.
These utilities are donationware. You can use them without any payment. But if you want to donate this work, you can contact me in PM.
UPD 2015/05/07: ReUp – see below.