+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What you tell to your client ? Which PDF/X version to use ?

Donor CrossyPrinter is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I ask clients to use .pdf (x1a) files. Our rip has no problems although I have witnessed the white blocked lines before, but for us they dont print!

Donor luzterin is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    CrossyPrinter

I ask clients to use .pdf (x1a) files. Our rip has no problems although I have witnessed the white blocked lines before, but for us they dont print!
    I also have this white blocked lines a couple of times. Very rarely there were some part of this white things on the print. I'm very carefully looking for problems if I see something like this.

Banned leila is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luzterin View Post
    I also have this white blocked lines a couple of times. Very rarely there were some part of this white things on the print.
    That's not the same problem! the white lines on the screen that disappear when turning the anti-aliasing off, happens only with PDF containing flattened transparencies (distilled PDF, or exported 1.3 PDF). This white lines come from a bad display of the raster pictures created by the flattening, they occurs ONLY on screen with anti-aliasing on, they don't change when zooming, and they CANNOT be printed.

If you have printed white lines, it's another problem, a problem that is perhaps not far away, but is different, and probably that this lines didn't disappear when turning anti-aliasing off, probably they become bigger when zooming.

Banned Sbocky is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I always say they provide a documented x3. mostly it works well. because if not, let me talk, I come with good open data

Donor dzianis.puhach is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I agree with the last speaker. X3 is optimal with very few problems...

Donor Outcazt is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Could you upload the file that fails? Would like to inspect it with Pitstop.

PRC Member Tony14 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    X1-a = No color management, only CMYK (Spot) - No Live Transparency
    X3 = Color management possible (ICC) RGB/CMYK - No Live Transparency
    X4 = same as X3 + Live Transparency

X4 should be used with APPE only.
    X3 if you know what you do with ICC profiles (and if your clients know as well)
    x1a - is the "safer" ; however, if the separation is not done correctly, you will have to use a Color Server to handle a DeviceLink conversion.

Hope that helps

Donor Speed_399 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    we usually ask our clients pdf x1a

Junior Member aoidxc is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I agree using PDF x/1a
    I had some problems with Pdf x/3 using Preps 5.3

tim
    Junior Member tim is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    our clients use PDF/X-1a for distill PDF from PostScript

11. Your ad here

shampa
    PDF X/4 - there is less chance for the client to stuff it up and therefore we spend less time explaining to them how to set things up. Also since it doesn't divide everything up into pieces it is easier to make minor edits should the need arise.

IMO X3 is asking for trouble. You should be converting to the destination space before or at the same time you flatten, not after.

PRC Member Tony14 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shampa View Post
    IMO X3 is asking for trouble. You should be converting to the destination space before or at the same time you flatten, not after.
    PDF/X3 is based on PDF1.3, therefore, you cannot have any transparencies into your files = nothing to flatten, it's already done by your InDesign ! :)

shampa
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony14 View Post
    PDF/X3 is based on PDF1.3, therefore, you cannot have any transparencies into your files = nothing to flatten, it's already done by your InDesign ! :)
    That's the point. You end up converting the colour space of individual objects after the file has been flattened. If everything is set up properly then it should be ok, but has no advantage over X1. But if set up wrong then it can introduce colour shifts between objects or even down the middle of an object.

Donor momo.cassiopeia is on a distinguished road momo.cassiopeia's Avatar
    Thanks

pdf/x

pdf/x-4 wherever possible!

its now almost 3 years since pdf/x-4 was introduced and looks to me like we are all still scared of it. true there are problems with color managing transparent pdf files, true there are open points for discussion regarding how far the blind exchange and profile conversion should be taken, but come on, how could we ever imagine solving all those issues if we never accept those new standards.

transparency is here to stay and even though the adobe print engine did solve some issues (and introduced new ones, like isolated blending not being rendered correct) we have to move forward, all of us, and forget about flattening eventually.

so lets all jump onto that bandwagon and support adobe and all those workflow manufacturers in getting pdf/x-4 fully reliable.

but please try to stay clear of all those pdf/x-4p sub-flavours like pdf/x-5pg and pdf/x-5n to avoid the external link trouble again. wasn't the meaning of pdf to loose external links? and with those formats we have the traditional file collection issues again! a nightmare!

your thoughts...

Banned leila is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by momo.cassiopeia View Post
    its now almost 3 years since pdf/x-4 was introduced and looks to me like we are all still scared of it.
    No, it's simply because not every printer has the APPE2 RIP/workflow to handle PDF/x-4.

And, in fact, the real answer to this thread, is "I ask for PDFs that match with my RIP/workflow"... there is so much RIPs/workflows in the world, from the poorest printers, today still struggling with old PostScript level 1 RIPs, to the richest printers in the richest countries proudly claiming that APPE2 + pdf/x-4 is the best solution, that so many answers are possible!!!

so lets all jump onto that bandwagon and support adobe and all those workflow manufacturers in getting pdf/x-4 fully reliable.
    And of course you give us the money to "jump on that bandwagon" and buy all this stuff costing one kidney + one arm (+ your ball's skin), that Adobe will volontarily make obsolete 2 years later, although it's even not finish to pay?

Today, you just have to be aware that this wonderful new PDF/x-4 format that promise wonderful compatibility and wonderful productivity is just a money-pump, a way for Adobe to make insolent benefits by sucking our money and ruining us with bugged softwares that are never debugged, never finished and will never be fully reliable, just because debugging a software cost so much money to a software company like Adobe, without allowing to earn more money...
    So, to go on with the huge benefits wanted by the share-holders, a company like Adobe always needs to create and launch a new wonderful file format (and the one-kidney-costing workflow matching with it) before the previous file format (and the matching softwares) being completely debugged.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast