+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Printing envelopes on Konica-Minolta Bizhub C6000 Press

Banned Hornball is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Printing envelopes on Konica-Minolta Bizhub C6000 Press

Hey,

Is there any trick you can perform to convince the printer to print envelopes? As far as I can tell, the printer detects envelopes as double feed of normal paper, which is understandable since envelopes is at various points up to 3 layers thick (or 4 if the flap overlaps the edges).

I have consulted with the firm who sold it, and they don't recommend printing envelopes at all since it can harm the drums, fuser etc. with the added thickness at specific points across the printing direction. They considered having extra hardware to swap in when printing envelopes, but that's not a viable option economically.

However, I have read somewhere about some kind of switch (DIP switch or software, I do not know) that disables the double feed detection, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular machine and printing envelopes, or any similar Konica-Minolta hardware.

Basically, is it possible to flip a switch, print the envelopes and then flip it back?

For reference, we don't print much envelopes, so we're talking maybe a maximum of 5000 envelopes per year, spread out over 10-15 occasions. For simplicity, say once a month maybe.

If we find that the volume increases (currently it is decreasing though) we would consider a different printer, so this is just a stop-gap measure if anything.

Any help and/or advice appreciated!

PRC Member johnlongthomas is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I have a c5500 and do envelopes as follows. Use the mpt tray on the side. make sure all the glue flaps are open. Feed long edge bottom first. its a while since we done it, but that's what I remember. If you do too many you will get tracks in your fuser belt.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlongthomas View Post
    I have a c5500 and do envelopes as follows. Use the mpt tray on the side. make sure all the glue flaps are open. Feed long edge bottom first. its a while since we done it, but that's what I remember. If you do too many you will get tracks in your fuser belt.
    Gonna give it a shot, but if I recall I attempted this last time with no success. However, that was something like six months ago, so I might have missed this particular way of feeding the machine.

I'll report back with my findings as soon as I can. Any other input is still welcome!

Thanks
    No luck, unfortunately... The printer halted and instructed me to remove the envelope from the printer. No paper jam or anything, it just seems to detect "double feed" and stops. Running thick paper stock with same dimensions and from the same tray works with no problem.

So I think it's not just the direction of the envelope or such.

And I forgot to mention it, but yes, I am aware of the potential tracks in the fuser belt.

PRC Member spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornball View Post
    Hey,

However, I have read somewhere about some kind of switch (DIP switch or software, I do not know) that disables the double feed detection, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular machine and printing envelopes, or any similar Konica-Minolta hardware.

Basically, is it possible to flip a switch, print the envelopes and then flip it back?

Any help and/or advice appreciated!
    i always wonder that people are bothering the forum instead of performing a simple google search:

http://printplanet.com/forums/digital-printing-discussion/27200-double-feed-detection-konica-c6000

6. The Following User Says Thank You to spider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spider View Post
    i always wonder that people are bothering the forum instead of performing a simple google search
    As far as I am concerned I *did* actually search, but depending on the search terms (I know I included "switch", for example) and also your location and locale, your search results will vary. So please, don't automatically assume the worst of people.

That aside, I thank you for the link and I will investigate this as soon as possible!

Thanks
    And with spider's helpful link, the issue has been resolved!

So, to allow a Konica-Minolta Bizhub C6000 to print on envelopes without the double feed detection kicking in, see spider's link above. For completeness I will include it again: http://printplanet.com/forums/digital-printing-discussion/27200-double-feed-detection-konica-c6000

It's good to know that it is at least *possible* to convince the printer to not be overly afraid of printing envelopes, of course with the disclaimer that printing envelopes will put extra strain on the fuser belt and such, possibly with a degradation of regular prints if you print a lot of envelopes.

Junior Member ransomman is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    Our Konica Minolta C6000l is from 2013 and as far as I can tell this double feed detection no longer exists. The machine has printed envelopes right out of the box - no modifications necessary.

Last I spoke with our REP they told me the new 2015 models will have a swappable "drum" that you can use with envelopes. Supposedly the glue and different heights of the envelopes can prematurely damage the fuser or something similar.

We have printed loads of different sizes from 4bar to 9x12 booklet, just make sure the speed is set to slow and you only feed from the bypass with the glue at the tail.

Good luck!

PRC Member spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ransomman View Post
    Our Konica Minolta C6000l is from 2013 and as far as I can tell this double feed detection no longer exists. The machine has printed envelopes right out of the box - no modifications necessary.

Last I spoke with our REP they told me the new 2015 models will have a swappable "drum" that you can use with envelopes. Supposedly the glue and different heights of the envelopes can prematurely damage the fuser or something similar.

We have printed loads of different sizes from 4bar to 9x12 booklet, just make sure the speed is set to slow and you only feed from the bypass with the glue at the tail.

Good luck!
    i cant believe your comments. we have a 1070 from year 2014 which is the successor if the 6000. it still has the double feed detector. ommiting this feature would be a big disadvantage for normal prininting jobs! the fuser drum is NOT replaceable for printing envelopes. since our stock paper with 300 gram is much thicker than an envelope the fuser obviously will get no damage by printing envelopes. and there are special envelopes which are certified for laser printers so you have no troubles with the glue!

Junior Member ransomman is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    Not sure why you can't believe it, our machine doesn't have double feed enabled. And the mention of a new upgrade to the 2015 machines that will allow envelope printing that is covered by your warranty was straight from our service rep.

If you run an older machine with envelopes, repair will not be covered by your service contract. We handle a lot of the maintenance on our machine but so its not an issue for us, but I will tell you that repeated feeding of envelopes has left marks in the fuser roller. Just my 2 cents.

12. Your ad here

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ransomman View Post
    Not sure why you can't believe it, our machine doesn't have double feed enabled. And the mention of a new upgrade to the 2015 machines that will allow envelope printing that is covered by your warranty was straight from our service rep.

If you run an older machine with envelopes, repair will not be covered by your service contract. We handle a lot of the maintenance on our machine but so its not an issue for us, but I will tell you that repeated feeding of envelopes has left marks in the fuser roller. Just my 2 cents.
    NOT ENABLED is a big difference to "double feed detection no longer exists"!

and the 1070 (not a 2015 model!) has a swing mechanism for the fuser so the print sheet / envelope doesnt pass the fuser belt and drum always at the same position.

otherwise every small printing sheet would harm the fuser drum and according to your thinking printing post cards wouldnt be covered by warranty too!

and the special fuser you are talking about is a whole envelope kit (EF-103) which is designed for better paper feeding and the fuser has been optimized for wrinkleless envelope printing. nothing special against stripes on the fuser belt as envelopes may vary in size too! and all this was available in 2014. its nothing new for this year!

maybe you should ask yourself if you always can believe your service REP!

+ Reply to Thread