+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heidelberg Prinect: Shared Licensing

Member workflowmaster is just really nice workflowmaster is just really nice workflowmaster is just really nice workflowmaster is just really nice workflowmaster is just really nice
    Thanks

Heidelberg Prinect: Shared Licensing

Anybody working with Prinect Workflow is surely familiar with the Heidelberg's License Server, how it works and how you set up the server connection for every software module. Whether it's a full workflow, or just a single Signa Station / PDF Toolbox / Meta Dimension, - every software product requires a License Server name or IP address to look for the available licenses (options).
    Now, did you know, that this server must not necessarily be located in the same network physically? Any valid and accessible DNS name or address would do as well. So, a license server name like "licserv.ourdomain.com" is perfectly valid, and working indeed (assuming, DNS can resolve the correct IP address).
    Thus one can imagine a group of users / companies sharing a common license server with quite officially purchased workflow licenses.
    Moreover, if the Prinect workstations which connect to the common license server use the same names in their own local networks (like MD for Meta Dimesnion or INTMAN for Integration manager), they will get all the same licenses installed on the LS. I mean, if you got a "Pressroom Manager 145+" licensed for a computer named "PRM", every connected computer with a local name "PRM" will get the license, the license server is not counting them!
    Well, that's an interesting thought, isn't it?
    I even did test it just out of curiosity. It's working as expected, indeed.
    The license server must, of course, have a physical WAN IP-Address registered in global DNS, which is no problem if you configure your internet router to forward all requests on port range 6287-6341 to the physical LS machine in your network.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to workflowmaster For This Useful Post:

Moderator Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of Willburwilde has much to be proud of
    Thanks

Thumbs up

No I did not know this, although I had a hunch, I did not investigate which ports tho. Very handy for multiple sites, or where elements of Prinect are in a different location.

Or just to get my PDF Toolbox running at home
    Last edited by Willburwilde; 10-21-2015 at 05:53 PM.

Banned camzhin is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by workflowmaster View Post
    Anybody working with Prinect Workflow is surely familiar with the Heidelberg's License Server, how it works and how you set up the server connection for every software module. Whether it's a full workflow, or just a single Signa Station / PDF Toolbox / Meta Dimension, - every software product requires a License Server name or IP address to look for the available licenses (options).
    Now, did you know, that this server must not necessarily be located in the same network physically? Any valid and accessible DNS name or address would do as well. So, a license server name like "licserv.ourdomain.com" is perfectly valid, and working indeed (assuming, DNS can resolve the correct IP address).
    Thus one can imagine a group of users / companies sharing a common license server with quite officially purchased workflow licenses.
    Moreover, if the Prinect workstations which connect to the common license server use the same names in their own local networks (like MD for Meta Dimesnion or INTMAN for Integration manager), they will get all the same licenses installed on the LS. I mean, if you got a "Pressroom Manager 145+" licensed for a computer named "PRM", every connected computer with a local name "PRM" will get the license, the license server is not counting them!
    Well, that's an interesting thought, isn't it?
    I even did test it just out of curiosity. It's working as expected, indeed.
    The license server must, of course, have a physical WAN IP-Address registered in global DNS, which is no problem if you configure your internet router to forward all requests on port range 6287-6341 to the physical LS machine in your network.
    I haven't work with this yet

+ Reply to Thread