+ Reply to Thread

Thread: X-rite i1 Publish Pro 2 - help with calibration

Donor mvmservis is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

X-rite i1 Publish Pro 2 - help with calibration

Hi there,
    i have constant problems with colours - display - print...etc. Now we bought new i1, but this thing is new for us, so i watched few tutorials, but i really didn't find any conclusive things that would show me, how to do things properly.

Short reading:
    1. can't get 2 extended monitors to be the same (color profile)
    2. problem with command workstation profile creation
    3. problem with Wasatch 6.6 profile creation
    4. problem with Versaworks profile creation

Long reading:
    1.First thing that i wanted to do is to calibrate 2 monitors where i use extended monitors - here i noticed problem that i don't get same results (how much different can colours be - if i compare one to another there are different greys...). I used D65 (i read that D50 is more suitable for display - print comparisons, but it is so reddish)
    I used native contrast, 100 luminance - I read few tutorials what are the best settings). I manually changed RGB and Brightness, used v.2 profiler...)
    I have 2 different LCD monitors - LG and Samsung - is it possible to get same colour results?

2. because there is no support for x-rite i1 pro 2 in CW, i used ipublish to create linearisation file and printed in CW. I used basic profiles that are pre-installed. Then i read linearisation file in ipublish and used it to create new colour chart with over 2k colour patches, exported tiff file, and printed in CW. Then i read the colour strips in ipublish and created .icc profile with light conditions D65. I imported colour profile to CW as output icc profile and printed graphics, and the graphics printed without profile look nicer that with profile - colours were blurred - like it would not be enough contrast.

i have newest CW installed, and Konica Minolta 7000 production machine.

3. first i printed linearisation file from 0-100% for CMYK, and limited Y and K colour so i could see difference between 90 an 100%. Then i set ink limit to
    C = 100 %
    M = 100 %
    Y = 80 %
    K = 70 %
    SUM - ink limit = 350
    because wasatch 6.6 doesn't have support for i1 pro 2, so i used ipublish to create linearisation file and printed in wasatch. Then i read file in ipublish and created colour chart with the linearisation file provided. Then i printed colour chart and read it in ipublish and created profile. I imported profile to wasatch, and you wouldn't like the alien colours that i got...
    I have Wasatch 6.6 and Mutoh 1604 with eco solvent inks - not original

4. I really don't have idea how to start profiling in Versaworks. I read that there should be support for i1 pro2 measurement device but i didn't find it in the device list. I really would need step by step how to create profile.
    I have newest Versaworks and Roland VP-540 with eco solvent inks - not original

Thank you for your time and any help that you could offer.

Jure

PRC Member ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Short answers...
    From my experience, it's almost impossible to achieve a good correlation between 2 or more mid-range monitors. You didn't mention the model of LG and Samsung monitors, but I think they are not high-end professional monitors. It would be much better to use monitors with internal lockup table (so called hardware calibrated monitors). Next, you should use one of them as a target for calibration of another monitor.
    The problems with i1 Publish, most likely caused by incorrect options of CMS during printing test targets. Every time you print them color management system must be disabled.
    Cheers,
    CW

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ColorWizard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ok, that would explain my problems with monitor calibration, i have LG W2442pa (mid-range monitor) and samsung - same thing...
    what would be for your experience best settings for calibration if i want to achieve most accurate print - monitor proximity?
    Now i tested numerous settings, but i didn't yet get best result on printer calibration, so i don't have yet sample for comparison with monitor?
    White point:
    Luminance
    Contrast Ratio
    Icc profile verison - some are writting that v.4 is faulty - is that true?

here: http://postimg.org/image/bd5bmu37t/ is CWS print screen - witch settings do i have to disable when i am printing chart patches?

Thank you for your help, Jure

Quote Originally Posted by ColorWizard View Post
    Short answers...
    From my experience, it's almost impossible to achieve a good correlation between 2 or more mid-range monitors. You didn't mention the model of LG and Samsung monitors, but I think they are not high-end professional monitors. It would be much better to use monitors with internal lockup table (so called hardware calibrated monitors). Next, you should use one of them as a target for calibration of another monitor.
    The problems with i1 Publish, most likely caused by incorrect options of CMS during printing test targets. Every time you print them color management system must be disabled.
    Last edited by mvmservis; 09-29-2014 at 10:54 PM.

PRC Member ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mvmservis View Post
    what would be for your experience best settings for calibration if i want to achieve most accurate print - monitor proximity?
    For color critical work you will need:
    1. High-end monitor: Quato Intelli Proof, Nec SpectraView or Eizo Color Graphics series.
    2. Desktop color viewing system with dimming feature. I'd recommend GTI SOFV-1xi System or Just Normlicht Color Communicator. Both of them have two-point lighting which allows to achieve a more uniform illumination across the area.
    3. Most likely you will also need a spectrometer with the ability to measure ambient light. This will allows you to calibrate your monitor to a real life light source.

Only after that, it will make sense to discuss the details of calibration of your professional monitor... this is my point of view.

Now i tested numerous settings, but i didn't yet get best result on printer calibration, so i don't have yet sample for comparison with monitor?
    White point:
    Luminance
    Contrast Ratio
    If you can't get best calibration, so you can't build a good icc profile... if you don't have the output icc profile, you can't use it to create a hard copy proof... and yes, you don't have a sample for side-by-side comparison with the image on screen.

Icc profile verison - some are writting that v.4 is faulty - is that true?
    It's like to say that FM screening is a faulty while I used to use AM screening...
    No, v4 icc profiles is not faulty if you know what to do with them. In other cases, use v2

here: http://postimg.org/image/bd5bmu37t/ is CWS print screen - witch settings do i have to disable when i am printing chart patches?
    I'm not familiar with Fiery CWS at all, but I found out that you can choose 'None' from drop-down menu for CMYK/RGB source profiles. This will disable color management.
    The next and no less important step you should do is to be sure that no calibration/linearization is used while you print calibration/linearization targets. I can suppose, it should be switched off for every new media you create in CWS.
    Cheers,
    CW

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ColorWizard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi,

ok, for displays that is then not applicable for us, because we don't net to be that accurate. I tried to configure main display the best i could and then i just got close enough with second display and i think it is ok.

Today i tried to create new profile in Wasatch, for Oracal vinyl, 720x720, on Mutoh 1604, eco solvent ink.

I went step by step like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RepmMW2-WQ except i didn't create linearisation in wasatch, because it does not support i1 pro 2, i made separately in iprofiler.

I printer linearisation, limited ink, change main ink limit, created and printed new linearisation and read it with iprofiler, then i went to create patch chart, i used linearisation file that i created one step earlyer, and read the patch chart. Then iprofiler created icc file for me, that i have imported in ICC Output profile...and i was done.

http://postimg.org/image/pd9rkmarn/2b509ffc/

You don't want to see what i have done ... fruite that i've printed - oranges and apples were blue...
    tomorow i will try to to the profile without linearisation? Do you think that is the deal?

in CWS i can choose input profile to none - but that is the only setting that i can choose as none...

Thank you for all your time.

Thanks
    It's hard to give you a short and valuable advice on your question because you have a lack of base knowledge on color management.

Choosing the target values for calibrating mid-range display you should take in mind the following: the calibration (actually, it means changing the behavior of a display) takes place in the look-up table of graphics card adapter which is typically 8bit.
    8 bits allows you to encode only 256 gradation steps. Significant changes in the table values ​​will result in a significant loss of visible gradations. That's why you should avoid changes in graphic card LUT as much as possible. The more changes in LUT will be made, the more gradations on screen you will loose. It corresponds to color gamut as well (during tweaking white point).
    I would recommend you to choose target white point as close as possible to the average value of the native gray ramp hue. White point tweaking should be made with monitor on-screen tools. Ideally, native white point of a monitor should be the one you need.
    Target value for gamma should be as close as possible to the monitor native value (sRGB, 1.9, 2.0, 2.2 etc).
    Black point leave as is (native).
    The paradox is that the calibration of mid-range monitors is not a trivial job, while the calibration of high-end monitors is much easier job.

I will repeat, I'm not familiar with Wasatch.
    By the calibration we should understand ink restriction, linearization total ink limiting. Performing ink restriction step you need to be sure that no limits are set and no linearization curves are set (linear values) for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black. Once you determined and set new ink restriction values you may perform linearization step. Once you set new values for linearization curve you may perform total ink limiting.
    Taking into account that you are finished with printer calibration and you are sure that your printer may produce consistent result, you may perform printer profiling. Profiling target should be printed with color management disabled but using newly created calibration.

In short, it looks like that.
    Cheers,
    CW

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ColorWizard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi,

ok, i managed to get monitors calibrated. It was the thing with settings - white point: D65, Luminance 100cd/m2, contrast ratio: native, icc profile version 2. When i compare same image on monitors that are together i must say i am satisfied with what i see.

I managed to create profile in Wasatch too. Here i had problem, that i didn't reset all settings.
    1. make print settings - resolution, passes, speed...
    2. i printed linearisation and made color limit for CMYK - seperately and all together
    3. Then i printed linearisation that i created with iprofiler
    4. scanned linearisation file with iprofiler
    5. created color chart with used linearisation settings
    6. printed chart and scanned with iprofiler
    7. import icc profile as output profile...

I still have problems with command workstation and versaworks :) ... if there is any tutorials how i use i1 pro2 with this software, please help :)

Thank you, Jure

Thank you for your help.

Junior Member nijebitno is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Hi,

ok, i managed to get monitors calibrated. It was the thing with settings - white point: D65, Luminance 100cd/m2, contrast ratio: native, icc profile version 2. When i compare same image on monitors that are together i must say i am satisfied with what i see.

I managed to create profile in Wasatch too. Here i had problem, that i didn't reset all settings.
    1. make print settings - resolution, passes, speed...
    2. i printed linearisation and made color limit for CMYK - seperately and all together
    3. Then i printed linearisation that i created with iprofiler
    4. scanned linearisation file with iprofiler
    5. created color chart with used linearisation settings
    6. printed chart and scanned with iprofiler
    7. import icc profile as output profile...

I still have problems with command workstation and versaworks :) ... if there is any tutorials how i use i1 pro2 with this software, please help :)

Thank you, Jure

Thank you for your help.
    Hi Jure,

We have KM C 5501 with ic-408 that supports x-rite es-1000 (aka i1 pro)
    Roland xf 640, vs 640 and lef-12. We work on 8 dell 2412m monitors.

Basically, you can't do much in profiling digital printers because every environmental
    change affects color in digital machines and you don't use original ink from roland. We do not color manage roland printers in versawork (roland gives little more magenta to human face and it looks reddish so you need to get few points down in versa when printing prtrait). Regarding monitor we do basic calibration to even up all monitors (6500k white point or d65, 120cd because 100cd is to dimmed for normal use) and we are very satisfied with result. Regarding konica, procedure would expect you to perform AUTO GAMMA ADJUSTMENT, than COLOR REGISTRATION ADJUSTMENT, than GAMMA OFFSET ADJUSTMENT from service menu and finally calibration from CWS with sorted 34 patches layout. If you need any help with all of these pm me.

Regards.

Miloš

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nijebitno For This Useful Post:

Donor optiprint is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Lightbulb Measuring Eyeone one

You can Import a measured density file.
    1) install profilemaker5 measure Tool ( Download on x- rite page) . It is for free. Use EyeOne !!! As measurement device. It is the same driver. Connect Device and Measure your linearisation File, printed in Wasatch.
    2) use Import flies in Linearisation Dialog and Write your Density values manualy in wasatch.

This is working

Best regards

Donor asap is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Hi, Jure

I post a Dropbox link with instructions for making profiles with Versaworks.

Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. please Register to gain full access.
    I hope will be useful for you.
    Last edited by asap; 03-23-2015 at 12:11 PM.

15. Your ad here

Banned hoanggiaprinting is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=asap;172129]Hi, Jure

I post a Dropbox link with instructions for making profiles with Versaworks.

Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. please Register to gain full access.
    Very useful for me

+ Reply to Thread