+ Reply to Thread

Thread: X-Rite i1 Display Pro or X-Rite ColorMunki Display with ProfileMaker Pro?

Donor dzianis.puhach is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

X-Rite i1 Display Pro or X-Rite ColorMunki Display with ProfileMaker Pro?

Anyone tried to work with these devices in ProfileMaker Pro? Is it possible?
    And who can tell something about the pros and cons in comparison of these devices?

aaron125
    I'm reasonably sure no one outside of X-Rite would have tried what you asked as ProfileMaker Pro has not been updated for over 12 months, I think (can't be bothered going to X-Rite's site to check release date, but it feels about that long since 5.0.10 was released) and the i1d3 (that's what many are calling the i1DisplayPro) was only released a couple of months ago.

Also, why would anyone who purchased an i1d3 even consider using that ancient app, PMP5.x when it is so soundly bettered by the new i1Profiler, a copy of which is included in the box with all i1d3's? The screen profiling in PMP5.x leaves a lot to be desired - actually, it's down-right just about absolutely hopeless, even when it was new/current.

As for pros and cons of the 2 devices you mention, X-Rite can certainly tell you about the differences, as can many reviews and also google usually tells all, if one knows what to ask.

They are the exact same device, on a hardware level, as far as I've read. It's just like the i1d2 and i1d2-lite, exact same hardware, just one was crippled by firmware, removing or blocking many hardware functions. At one time, X-Rite was even offering a paid firmware update to bring an i1d2-lite to have the same capabilities as the normal i1d2. That's what X-Rite has done again with their new colorimeters. Not offer upgrade, crippled the abilities of the cheaper device.

Anyway, since a retail boxed version of the i1d3 can be bought from an authorised UK X-Rite seller, for just US$225 including free worldwide shipping, why would anyone in their right-mind choose to 'save' by purchasing the cheaper Munki-brained device. I cannot even understand why X-Rite bothered to release the Munki thing, it isn't like the i1d3 costs $700-$1000+, it is already very affordable for what is being offered IMHO.

As soon as Eizo releases their updated version of ColorNavigator 6, which supports the new i1d3, I'll be buying one for myeslf. Would have bought it already, but since I'm never going to use anything other than Eizo ColorNavigator to do my screen profiling, no point buying it only to have the thing sit unused, gathering dust in my house. I'll wait and hopefully by the time Eizo is ready, price might have dropped a little. Heard rumours it might be another month or so.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aaron125 For This Useful Post:

Junior Member sakharov is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    i1 Pro is de facto standard in middle level calibration-profiling workflow.
    ColorMunki is entry level device for the same.
    You can use only i1 Pro with Profile Maker.
    But current calibration/profiling software is not Profile Maker, but i1 Profiler.

aaron125
    I'm going to respectfully disagree - ColorMunki shouldn't be so high up on the list

I wouldn't say that the i1Pro is the de facto standard for mid-level, it is definitely an entry-level device and has always been marketed that way, ever since it's initial release.
    ColorMunki is sub-entry-level, not even marketed towards anyone doing any proofing, colour management consulting, profiling printers, screens, press, etc. It's mainly directed towards 'Photographers who don't or can't understand this whole colour management shenanigans'.

So, entry-level is i1Pro
    Mid-level would be something like i1IO or i1 Isis
    Obviously the sky's the limit for high-end/pro usage

ColorMunki cannot be considered in the same 'league' or even for the same uses as an i1Pro, so it therefore must not be lumped in with the i1. ColorMunki is purely a consumer oriented device, never meant to be used in a production environment/workflow.

Moderator super silja will become famous soon enough super silja's Avatar
    Thanks

what is i1?

i could not agree with aaron that i1 pro is entry level device.
    on page
    Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. pleaseĀ Register to gain full access.
    you can found that's they say that is industrial standard. i never found that that gretag say that is entry level device
    Industry-standard i1Pro spectrophotometer provides super fast measurements and fluid patch recognition for both emissive (monitors) and reflective (print) profiling
    allmost all rip vendors and profiling solution support i1 device,
    not only support but they use i1 for profile creation
    i like to know how is market divided from your point of view
    what is entry, what is mid, what is high end?
    +-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+
    |p|o|w|e|r| |t|o| |b|e| |y|o|u|r| |b|e|s|t|

Nemesis
    I can agree on aaron125 about where some devices in which segment of use belongs.

ColorMunki is really great device. I have it quite a long time and for almost third of the price for i1Pro Xtreme offers quite a lot. I have been posting specs that X-Rite gives officially for both devices so you can compare. The greatest drawback for ColorMunki is upgradeability. i1Pro family can be used with Profile Maker, i1Profiler and plethora of 3rd party software and RIPs where ColorMunki only can use shipped software and from recently ArgyllCMS and Eizo ColorNavigator. With so little patches ColorMunki really creates great printer profiles and even you can especially enhance that profile by adding some photo where software will generate new test chart and that will be added to the current profile. And you can do that as much as you like and all data will be added. For such price offers more then it's worth if you ask me.

Now back to the classification of the devices.

i1Pro really is entry level device. Don't be fooled because of this that it is bad device. On contrary, for how much costs it offers really a looot. If paired with some great software you would be really amazed what you can get with it.

i1 isis is some mid range device. It is more precise and it does all the work for you automatically and fast, really fast. If you produce a lot of profiles this is great device for you. X-Rite Spectro Eye could fit this section too because is pretty versatile device.

And as advanced I will tell you only Industrial Spectrophotometers. Here's few benchtops:

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=804

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=803

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=784

Last 2 of them are used as a top reference devices. Also any of these three for them re-certification costs about like the price summarized of 3+ i1Pro devices. And re-certification is done directly in X-Rite labs where for example you should re-certify your i1Pro every 1.5-2 years and technician can do that at your place too.

Cheers ;)
    Last edited by Nemesis; 09-20-2011 at 12:49 AM.

Thanks
    @nemesis
    you miss the point
    we speak about profiling device,
    please let me know how you will calibrate display with spectroeye or any SO device below
    make printer profile with i7?

i1 isis share same technology as i1,
    Spectro Eye is pressroom instrument
    color i5 is midrange industrial instrument
    color i7 is benchtop industrial instrument
    ColorEye 7000A is end of life instrument
    i don't know anyone from GA who use i7 to measure print
    what you talking about?

i1 with inter instrument agreement of 0.7 is more than enough for GA
    you don't need buggati veiron to go to green market? BMW is enough

Nemesis
    Oh well we can do this all day long. OP asked this X-Rite i1 Display Pro or X-Rite ColorMunki Display with ProfileMaker Pro? Got answer that why using older software when you can use completely new i1Profiler with it which is a lot better if unlocked with all features then Profile Maker IMHO.

Then topic went to the point where some of you started dividing devices in categories where I have wrote what I think about it. So everything said except direct answer to OP question is missed point too.

i don't know anyone from GA who use i7 to measure print
    No, but if you have been contestant for something that some national institution required for print on such devices reference colors were set. So that device was used to measure sample of some color/s and data would be sent to contestants to reproduce. It guarantee to the client the most accurate reproduction. Authorized bureaus does that. If you have never seen such documentation I can gladly provide it to you so you can see all requirements from you to get into the contest.

And once again everything not related to OPs question is complete missing the point answers if you look that way. Conversation went that way and you've got the answer. I guess aaron125 meant in world of color management and I too i1Pro is entry level device which I again repeat it is. It's not the point can you calibrate the display with the spectro eye or make printer profile with the i7. My point was where in color management world hardware, device such i1Pro belongs to.

I hope this the satisfying answer for you.

Thanks
    to clarify what we talking about.
    i1 is more precise than you ever need in GA industry.
    repeatability of max 0.3dE - same color patch, same instrument
    inter instrument agreement max 0.7 dE - same colorpatch, different instrument

spherical optics (SO) devices are for different industries, powder, paint, coating, textile,
    printing on metal .....

If you print on paper you don't need anything better than Spectroeye
    for proof and monitor calibration i1 is high end device
    during one event we check six i1 devices against Spectroeye,
    as i remember differences was less than 0.2 dE we are all surprised. we expect bigger differences
    now i will check my i1 with my netprofiler card, i will post result very soon

if you compare repeatability and inter instrument agreement between CI7 and Spectroeye, Spectroeye is low cost low budget device

aaron125
    i1Pro is most definitely NOT a high-end screen profiling device. It has horrible performance in the 3/4-shadow tones and throws up some strange readings at times. When I purchased my i1D2 I was getting so much better profiles, larger gamut, TRUE bp reading (I thought my CG242W was stuffed, but the whole time it was the i1Pro not reading shadow tones properly), much smoother transitions, in every way better performace than i1Pro for wide-gamut screens.

The i1Pro is absolutely an entry level device in every possible way. It is not a $40,000+ 'lab grade' device, so quite obviously not high-end at all. It is not automated, nor an Isis or something similar, therefore cannot be considered in the mid-range either. Why do you think Fogra DOES NOT allow media to be certified using the i1, only DTP70? Because i1 is low-end, entry level device created for photographers.

Also, if X-Rite wants to call their own device an 'industry standard', they're dreaming. It might be popular, but that's because it is cheap (cheapest by far, for many years with zero competition)and therefore many people who normally couldn't, are able to afford one. For anything to be considered an industry standard, the manufacturer cannot ever be the party to decide said fact. Seriously, who wouldn't want to say that whatever they produce is an industry standard? Just sounds good on the advertising material, but who backs up or verifies the claim? Certainly not those in the industry, they don't even use the i1 most of the time, so I ask again, what industry standard could X-Rite be referring to?

What makes you think the i1Pro could ever be anything other than entry-level silja? Also, how can you or anyone else claim a device is "more precise than you ever need in GA"? How could you possibly know what someone else needs or desires in their workflow? It is a personal thing. Why do you think ISO12647-7 and 12647-8 are being updated now? Because the previous standard is now so out of date that anyone can make a proof with the required dE values to pass and say it's a contract-proof. So who are you to claim what is or what is not more precise than ever need in GA?

Why make such sweeping and grossly innacurate claims which cannot be backed up?

12. Your ad here

Donor Tom01 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dzianis.puhach View Post
    Anyone tried to work with these devices in ProfileMaker Pro? Is it possible?
    And who can tell something about the pros and cons in comparison of these devices?
    No, its not compatible. X-Rite kill Profilemaker, and not publicate any updates.

+ Reply to Thread