+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Users of HP Designjet 90 or 130, need Help

Donor h3ndrix is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Users of HP Designjet 90 or 130, need Help

Hello,

I am looking for people experienced with the self-calibration capability of the Designjet 90 and 130 series printers. I know that these printers have this self calibration capability with their own internal meters, but is it possible to use this calibration in the color management process? I mean, does this internal calibration capability produce files that we can use somewhere in the computer, or what good is it? How is it usable in the process? Thanks.

Member PanozJani is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Hi!

I always switch it off. print the it8-7.4 or larger, make the profile and upload it to the rip.
    Since these are dye based inks they tend to change colour during the dryback process (depending on the substrate) and the internal calibration never waits for it to happen. it might be useful for the not so critical colour work so you could make a profile with calibration, and after several months you recalibrate it to the same state - but in my experience its faster (and gives better results) just to generate a new profile.

Thanks
    Hi!

What RIP do you use and which printer do you have? I am hoping to learn some stuff from you. Thanks

Junior Member rhguru is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    130 uses internal meter for head position calibration only
    when you change a head then you have to do this function
    this series designjets works well with EFI solutions but you have to keep in mind that its hard to go less than 1.5 average deltaE and 4 maximum deltaE

Donor bortbox is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

RE: Users of HP Designjet 90 or 130, need Help

There seems to be some confusion here around the terms “calibration” and “paper profiling”. First, the DJ130 (and counterparts) have a built in densitometer (so to speak). This is much different than the spectrophotometer that the Z series has.
    The built in calibrator does the following:
    • It checks ink densities and linearizes the output of the printer – this is to ensure consistency on the same paper from one day to another
    • It can align the print heads (fixing banding and registration issues)
    • It does NOT do the following:
    • Read color data from patches
    • Create paper profiles
    • Ensure color accuracy
    • Ensure consistency between different papers

It isn’t a matter of software limitations; it is a hardware limitation as the sensor on the machine itself doesn’t gather colorimetric data, only density.
    So many places to go from here….

OK. So if you wanted to profile a paper for use in the 130, first you would have to pick a proper paper category from the machine’s presets. Then run a calibration on the intended quality mode. This will make sure that the proper amount of ink is being laid down in the correct amounts so that smooth gradients and proper tone curves can be achieved. From that point, one would need a spectro and accompanying software to build a profile – the normal rules apply: turn off color management in the driver and get to work.

One of the limitations of this machine is that you can only calibrate per a handful of different paper stocks. Say for instance that you had two different glosses (Gloss A and Gloss B): you would calibrate for Gloss A, then profile. Now when switching to Gloss B, you have to re-calibrate as the ink behavior is going to be different on the new stock. Switching back to Gloss A would be require to calibrate yet again as the printer can only store values for one gloss stock at a time. Additionally, I would recommend re-calibrating every two to three weeks even if you are using the same gloss as I have noticed that output can vary at a Delta E greater than 10 over a short periods of time even if your environment is very controlled.

If you are using Fiery XF as a RIP for this machine, there are a couple of things to note:
    • Fiery XF only includes an RGB driver
    • It uses the internal calibrations created by the driver / maintenance utility
    • It does not have direct control of the printheads – IE it cannot send raw data, it cannot achieve custom ink limits, it cannot store more calibration data than the printer
    • It cannot create custom halftones
    • It cannot create usable CMYK or multichannel ICCs for the machine

Hope this clears some things up, and feel free to ask more questions – I own a DJ130 and like it quite a lot. In fact, I have been able to get SWOP proofs from the machine; however it is not my primary device.

-bortbox

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bortbox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thats great info, thanks. Please provide some more info on the device and how you use it and how you profile it with which profiler and what RIP you use?

It would be great to be able to use a RIP with this machine that "have direct control of the printheads" and which one is that?

Can you also do a step by step on profiling, how you go about it, which software youre happy with and such? Thanks.

Donor bortbox is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    As far as I am aware, there is not a rip that has direct control of the printheads. This machine does not have the full designjet OS as it is more of a beefed up Deskjet then a full designjet.

I use Fiery XF with the machine, but HP also makes (or made) a small standalone RIP that worked as a full postscript emulator. The nice part is was that not only was there a RIP server, but a PPD was provided for client computers and it was seen on the backend as a PostScript CMYK printer. From there, CMYK profiles could actually be made.

I stopped using this solution as it quickly became apparent I could get a better gamut using the native drivers and RGB, and letting Fiery XF do all the conversions before it hit the printer. Since Fiery XF has profile building in-package, that is what I use currently along with a UV-cut i1, or a non-UV cut DTP-45, depending on the paper. I rarely use heavily textured stocks on this printer, but if I do, then I pull out the ol’ Spectroscan with polarized filters.

If I am not using a third party RIP (and sometimes I don’t), I build profiles with the DTP-45 using colorport to generate and measure targets, then run it through bassICCcolor Improve if the paper has optical brighteners, then import the measurement files into GMB Profile Maker for the ICC.

There is no point in me going step-by-step as your profiling package will give you all the advice needed: just remember to calibrate your specific paper correctly before profiling.

+ Reply to Thread