+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Used i1 - how to find a cheap one?

PRC Member moutonnoir is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Used i1 - how to find a cheap one?

I want to get an i1pro - however searching ebay for "eye-one" and x-rite and i1pro bring up a huge range of prices and options.

Is the iPublish software, uh, 'available' somewhere like here, or is there other software to use on a budget with a used i1?

I see many RIPs utilize the i1, but what about for monitor\projector calibration?

What is the major implication of UV vs non-UV? What matters there? The ink? The viewing light? UV coated paper? ??

Thx!

PRC Member moutonnoir is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    oh yeah - i want to primarily use it with an Epson 7900, to profile paper and aftermarket ink for good results, and to calibrate my malange of dispalys, such as a 27" iMac display and a 30" Dell U3011 display...

Thanks!!!!

Member ColorProofer is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Than go just for the sensor itself. It should be revision B or D (a lot faster thane revision A)

You can find software for your needs here or there ist ArgyllCMS (freeware).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColorProofer For This Useful Post:

pir8mack
    I had no idea about Argyll, going to have a play round with it tonight, thanks for the tip-a-roo

Donor carrick is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    keep an eye on ebay mate. i picked up an i1pro for about 350euro...i'm delighted with it and i've also manged to create a few ICC profiles...calibrated my monitors also...

Junior Member sunmage is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    GIYF - Google is Your Friend.

btw

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=i1+photo+pro&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=i1+photo+pro&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=i mvns&source=lnms&tbm=shop&ei=8H-lT5_wHKbvmAXutMjhBA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=6 &ved=0CBMQ_AUoBQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.os b&fp=f6b93ceb8c26fcb1&biw=1077&bih=1194

Banned Horace is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Just bear in mind that Meters drift quite a lot with age. The older it is, the further out it will be. I wouldn't bother if I were you, getting a used , unless you also can get it calibrated.

Junior Member printprint is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Just use i1 Diagnostics to learn for how many hours it was used. After all there is just a light bulb inside which characteristics change over time.

Junior Member epoch is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Xrite Photospectrometers (Does and Donts)

I1Pro, ES 1000, Xrite I1 all refer to different iterations of the same device. There is now
    an ES 2000 (EFI Name).

Before you buy one for ebay or anywhere else, make sure the base plate and the spectrometer have matching serial numbers. One is calibrated at the factory to the
    other.

Age is important as these devices have a traditional light bulb which will introduce variance to the source lighting over the age of the device. (try not to purchase one that is
    to old) from experience its not cheap to send them back for recalibration.

On the subject of UV vs Non UV... The non UV gives a slightly more accurate result on un-coated stocks and is recommended in the Fogra ISO 39 standard, however the UV Cut version is slightly more flexible when you may have to measure on coated stocks that included artificial brightness agents in the stock.

I have use the old Gretag McBeth Profile Maker Pro for many years now as it gets the job done, this has been bought by Xrite and you will find one version or another on forums I think.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

PRC Member spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by epoch View Post
    I1Pro, ES 1000, Xrite I1 all refer to different iterations of the same device. There is now
    an ES 2000 (EFI Name).

Before you buy one for ebay or anywhere else, make sure the base plate and the spectrometer have matching serial numbers. One is calibrated at the factory to the
    other.

Age is important as these devices have a traditional light bulb which will introduce variance to the source lighting over the age of the device. (try not to purchase one that is
    to old) from experience its not cheap to send them back for recalibration.

On the subject of UV vs Non UV... The non UV gives a slightly more accurate result on un-coated stocks and is recommended in the Fogra ISO 39 standard, however the UV Cut version is slightly more flexible when you may have to measure on coated stocks that included artificial brightness agents in the stock.

I have use the old Gretag McBeth Profile Maker Pro for many years now as it gets the job done, this has been bought by Xrite and you will find one version or another on forums I think.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.
    his question was 3 1/2 years ago. do you think he still needs some advice???

12. Your ad here

Junior Member printprint is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    It is a case of bumping up posts count... yet the answer is insightful/valuable.

Junior Member williamparker is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    The earlier suggestion of using older spectros, defeating the purpose of calibration due to drift in materials is quite true. A recent quote from X-rite put recertification of the device at more than half the cost of a new device only. Moreover I learnt in my extensive search for reliability vs time on these devices, that a Delta E 2.0 variation on the non UV device can be guaranteed for about a year or two depending on weather etc., An annual recertification is recommended. But for slightly broader tolerances (getting subjective now) we have a tile in the baseplate for taking care of the drift issue. I still work on the swiss device and get results spot on. Go figure!
    Edit: Even after 10 years the first gen passes all tests (i1 diagnostics) including drift
    Last edited by williamparker; 03-02-2016 at 09:03 AM.

+ Reply to Thread