+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Soft proofing

shampa
    Eizo if you can afford it. Dell U2711 if you want to go cheap. NEC Spectraview are in the middle. Use a spectrometer, not a colorimeter, to calibrate unless the colorimeter is packaged with the monitor.

Junior Member alex_prihodko will become famous soon enough alex_prihodko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Better digital proof - EFI Color Proof XL

3. The Following User Says Thank You to alex_prihodko For This Useful Post:

Banned prepmaster is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    What do you think of Sony Artisan Monitor?

Nemesis
    www.digitaldog.com - Andrew Rodney

He is X-Rite Coloratti. Once I had some problems to set up things properly and I have contacted him and get some answers. I hope he will help you too if you write to them. At least is worth to try since I was lucky to get the answer from him.
    Last edited by Nemesis; 08-16-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Donor duweisoon is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    softproof try firstproof v5

Junior Member AlexRU is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by palych View Post
    Monitors from the series SpectraView (especially 14 look up table) excellent, but, unfortunately, quite expensive
    No. My NEC MultiSync P221W not expensive.

Junior Member AlexRU is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decoder101 View Post
    For proofing colors, NEC and Eizo monitors are probably the best.
    I think so too.

Moderator super silja will become famous soon enough super silja's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron125 View Post
    That is not true at all - Quato screens have excellent performance in all aspects. You have misunderstood or interperated their documentation incorrectly as to the reason why Quato recommends to set the screen's white balance to 5800k (not 5700k).

i think that nobody can see 100K difference
    picture attached
    two screen (eizo), same instrument same setup, same sw, but ... (different class of monitor)
    tell me whats wrong?
    eizo have article on their site about that

if you like to match proof and boot ( just and eizo ) both device are calibrated at d50
    this is what i said...
    quato approach is strange to me .... 5000k=5800k, i think that have design flaw, but ok ...
    it is works, and that you find that you can visually match 5000K light boot and 5800K monitor, i don't mind ...
    Name:  twoeizo.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  82.4 KB
    +-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+
    |p|o|w|e|r| |t|o| |b|e| |y|o|u|r| |b|e|s|t|

Donor agustinbsas is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

RE

I've matched two different monitors using a datacolor Spyder3 colorimeter; great stuff for -as far as i can see- you wanna do.

PRC Member ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by super silja View Post
    i think that nobody can see 100K difference
    A simple example from real measurements of two different monitors:
    L1 = 100, a1 = -0.640855, b1 = -3.053691, t = 5200°K
    L2 = 100, a2 = 2.35351, b2 = -6.665739, t = 5244°K
    (L*a*b* is D50/2°)

ΔE'76 = 4.69, ΔE'2000 = 5, Δt = 44°K
    I think that even untrained eye would see the difference.

Your statement is only true for the samples which are placed as close as possible to the Planckian locus.

In the example above sample #2 is placed far from Planckian locus. The mathematical procedure for determining the correlated color temperature involves finding the closest point to the light source's white point on the Planckian locus, so with a minimum difference in color temperature we've got a much bigger colorimetric difference.

this was my 5 cents
    Cheers,
    CW

12. Your ad here

Moderator super silja will become famous soon enough super silja's Avatar
    Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ColorWizard View Post
    A simple example from real measurements of two different monitors:
    L1 = 100, a1 = -0.640855, b1 = -3.053691, t = 5200°K
    L2 = 100, a2 = 2.35351, b2 = -6.665739, t = 5244°K
    (L*a*b* is D50/2°)

ΔE'76 = 4.69, ΔE'2000 = 5, Δt = 44°K
    I think that even untrained eye would see the difference.

Your statement is only true for the samples which are placed as close as possible to the Planckian locus.

In the example above sample #2 is placed far from Planckian locus. The mathematical procedure for determining the correlated color temperature involves finding the closest point to the light source's white point on the Planckian locus, so with a minimum difference in color temperature we've got a much bigger colorimetric difference.

this was my 5 cents
    wow, that's answer what i like! thank's for more "Light" in this area
    i haven't possibilites to check your calculation and measurement and i accept it as is.
    but i am confused
    if you have dE with 44°K differences, what's happen with 800°K? what's wrong with quato or human brain?
    |p|o|w|e|r| |t|o| |b|e| |y|o|u|r| |b|e|s|t|

PRC Member ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    i haven't possibilites to check your calculation and measurement and i accept it as is.
    The measurements were made by i1Pro Rev.B using UDACT on LG L1980Q Flatron (#1) and Eizo CG245W (#2).
    To check my calculations you can use Bruce Lindbloom's [URL="http://www.brucelindbloom.com/ColorCalculator.html"]CIE Color Calculator[/URL] and [URL="http://www.brucelindbloom.com/ColorDifferenceCalc.html"]Color Difference Calculator[/URL]
    #1:
    XYZ (normalized) = 97,79 100,00 91,05
    #2:
    XYZ (normalized) = 96,0517 100,00 86,3589

but i am confused
    if you have dE with 44°K differences, what's happen with 800°K? what's wrong with quato or human brain?
    There is nothing wrong with Quato or human brain. I put my five cents just because of your statement, that nobody can see the difference in the 100°K

As I mentioned in my previous post, the mathematical procedure for determining the correlated color temperature involves finding the closest point to the light source's white point on the Planckian locus. It means, that it possible to find 2 colorimetric values with the color difference of, for example, ΔE'76 = 7, and the same CCT.

Another simple example:
    try to calculate CCT and color difference (on the Bruce Lindbloom's site) for the following XYZ values:
    XYZ1 = 0,921541 1 0,781162
    XYZ2 = 0,960517 1 0,863589
    Cheers,
    CW

shampa
    Simplifying things a bit, the correlated colour temperature roughly corresponds to the reddish/bluishness of the colour. For a given colour temperature, there is a range of colours with different degrees of green/purpleness. Thus having the same correlated colour temperature does not mean that colours appear the same.

As for the 5800°K monitor to match D50, several studies have found that in order to visually match a physical sheet of paper the monitor must display a colour that measures significantly bluer. AFAIK no one really knows why. It is not a Quato thing, they are just one of the few manufacturers to take the studies on board.

aaron125
    Quote Originally Posted by shampa View Post
    As for the 5800°K monitor to match D50, several studies have found that in order to visually match a physical sheet of paper the monitor must display a colour that measures significantly bluer. AFAIK no one really knows why. It is not a Quato thing, they are just one of the few manufacturers to take the studies on board.
    It is mainly due to the differences between a piece of paper being illuminated & then reflecting the light as opposed to a screen which is a source of light itself & the way the visual system/brain processes it all.

Personally I think it is due to evolution & millions of years of not ever having to match a dull piece of paper with a bright screen. We (humans) are simply not created to do such matching to a very specific degree, which is why I think vast majority of people have trouble when trying to perform said matches.

Junior Member petermover is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    We are using Quato for soft proofing. They are good as well as Eizo or NEC.
    The main difference between Quato, Eizo and NEC is that Quato makes only professional screens.
    Eizo and NEC earns more money from selling lower/amateur quality monitors.

Regarding Quato quality:
    my Quato is 1,5 year old. We sent it back after half year, because the left side of the screen gone to be brighter than the center.
    There was 13% difference in luminosity between the center and the left quarter of the screen.
    They had repaired. Now in these days, we realized this problem again, we measured it, the difference is 20% !!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast