+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A question for a college project

Junior Member sat10 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

A question for a college project

Hi, This is probably a stupid question, but I was planning to make a project on the difference in color reproduction (quality) between top mobile phone models. But, from what I've been seeing during my research is that it is not possible to profile mobile phone cameras for color, and also there are no proper standards against which measure their performance. Is that correct, or is there some way I can go about it?

I do know that every phone has it own algorithm to process their images, and so their raw files are not possible to get, but I was wondering if it is possible to come to a conclusion about, maybe, which algorithm is the best in terms of color reproduction, by doing some measurements.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sat10 For This Useful Post:

Junior Member angust is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sat10 View Post
    Hi, This is probably a stupid question, but I was planning to make a project on the difference in color reproduction (quality) between top mobile phone models. But, from what I've been seeing during my research is that it is not possible to profile mobile phone cameras for color, and also there are no proper standards against which measure their performance. Is that correct, or is there some way I can go about it?

I do know that every phone has it own algorithm to process their images, and so their raw files are not possible to get, but I was wondering if it is possible to come to a conclusion about, maybe, which algorithm is the best in terms of color reproduction, by doing some measurements.
    You may able to create the profile after you download the image file from phone to your desktop software. You can only compare the quality between phones in a fixed environment. same computer, same software, same output method, same printer...

Or you can just shot the standard target and measure the color on the phone screen.

Member todesign is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'm sure you can colour correct most top end mobile phones, I'm sure I saw software available on a forum somewhere.

Maybe you could do a test on which mobile phone requires the least colour correcting using that software. and then upload all the photos and test which one prints the best with zero profiles in photoshop.

Something like that, although technically colour correcting the screen on the phone isn't going to change the picture colour quality when you output it to a computer.

So yea might be a no win situation.

Donor Gargoyle will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    For analysis, characterizations and standards try Imatest.

Quote Originally Posted by sat10 View Post

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gargoyle For This Useful Post:

Donor TPJozsef is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    As far as I know OS level color management isn't implemented yet in Android or iOS.

Spyder color released an application for color correcting your photos that you are viewing on your screen but that is as much as you can do for now.

Also the standard target idea is actually great. In a studio-like setup you can theoretically reproduce the same photo indefinitely.
    Shoot a photo with a high performance camera for reference and simply take the same photo with all your test devices. For best results view on a calibrated monitor.

+ Reply to Thread