+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about profiling a backlight for and inkjet printer

bziubek

Question about profiling a backlight for and inkjet printer

Anyone here have any experience with profiling a backlight media for an inkjet printer? Specifically epson 9900 but I guess it the principle stays the same for all.
    So is it just like profiling a paper? Printing a chart without color management, waiting for it to dry and than measuring and profiilng it?

Member PanozJani is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bziubek View Post
    Anyone here have any experience with profiling a backlight media for an inkjet printer? Specifically epson 9900 but I guess it the principle stays the same for all.
    So is it just like profiling a paper? Printing a chart without color management, waiting for it to dry and than measuring and profiilng it?
    In principle, yes. But You'll need a spectrophotometer with transmissive measurement capabilities AND a RIP which is supporting the same (e.g. Wasatch & DTP-41T).

BIBIB
    Or if you have only a reflective spectro you ca try argyllcms ( free ). For reading the charts - spectrashop ( not free ) it's another software with such features but you must make the profile in another app.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BIBIB View Post
    Or if you have only a reflective spectro you ca try argyllcms ( free ). For reading the charts - spectrashop ( not free ) it's another software with such features but you must make the profile in another app.
    Can You please explain me how can you measure the colours of a backlit media with a reflective spectrophotometer??? You'll get totally different measurements when the light is coming from behind and when the light is reflected...

BIBIB
    Yes, it is possible- it's the software responsible for that. You need only a good light source ( full spectrum light source ) and a light table. If I have time in the weekend I will explain you how you can do this without dedicated software to. ( but with a little more time and computations )

Junior Member AlexG is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

it's possible with i1!

Making profile from measurements is the same as for the reflective print. It's possible to use any profiling software you want(you have). The main problem is to get transmissive measurements.
    But actually, it's possible to profile backlit media with a regular EyeOne. It's not very simple, but it's possible. And you can get really high quality profiles.

You should use ArgyllCMS chartread or spotread utility in -t mode (transmissive mode).
    Alll you need is good stable light source (I'm using regular photo-transparency viewing lightbooth).

The simpliest way it to try it with spotread.exe -v -s -t log_t.txt. It will ask you calibrate your i1. Put your backlit on lightbooth, after that take a measurement of clear field (Don't measure lightbooth itself! Calibration should be done through backlit!). After that you are ready to take transparency measurements in patch mode. It's better to take measurements in the same point of lightbooth for good light stability.

All measurements will be normilized to 1.0. So you should get Lab 100/0/0 for the clear field, all other fields will have L<100. And you can use these measurements for profile creation.

I'm using chartread for such measurements. The difference if very small, in such case I'm getting ready for profile creation .TI3 file with measurements. In case of using spotread you will need to edit measurements ( to format it and to add the header) to get it usable for profiling sofware.

Also chartread allows to take scan measurements in transparency mode! I don't use it because my lightbooth is not long and uniform enough, but if you have such booth, then you are lucky, you can make transmissive profile in half of an hour.

Hope this helps.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AlexG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I forgot argyll...
    but you are not measuring in reflexive mode...
    anyway question answered! Use argyllCMS!

Junior Member mfy2010 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    The stable light source is very important for the backlight media.

henesy
    Quote Originally Posted by bziubek View Post
    Anyone here have any experience with profiling a backlight media for an [URL="http://www.tonerzone.com"]ink[/URL]jet printer? Specifically epson 9900 but I guess it the principle stays the same for all.
    The more stable the light source is, the better.
    Last edited by henesy; 09-13-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Junior Member patmak82 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    but beware the color temperature as well

12. Your ad here

Junior Member AlexG is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patmak82 View Post
    THe color temp. almost doesn't matter if you use ArgyllCMS spotred/chartread in -t mode. It's because the light source color temp. will be compensated during calibration. The main thing is light source stability in time. Good spectral distribution is very preferable, but actually fluorescent lamp with good CRI (lets say >92) is enough to get good quality ICC profile.

Junior Member jonl8038 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    i would recommmand you to use GMG colorserver with smart profiler , it do make life easy and view it under a standard light condition whereby have a D50 or D65 standard.

Junior Member nacito1234 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'm using reflective mode for backlit measuring and than I edit the profile with Monaco profiler and increase black generation. Is not perfect but results are not bad
    Last edited by nacito1234; 11-22-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Donor mr.clean will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patmak82 View Post
    not the temperature is important – the spectral datas will be responsible. i measured a lot of materials for backlight and different lightning conditions. for example the temperature for a standard and led light could be 5000 k but the spectral range is a complete different one and therefore you get a different visual impression. you need to measure the light first and then you can calculate a perfect profile with the correct lightning condition. copra from colorlogic is able for that – i use a barbieri lft rt 3 as measurement device.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mr.clean For This Useful Post:

Junior Member cristiangabi is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

any tutorial?

Any step by step tutorial for profiling backlit media with i1Pro device?

It is realy working? I found an answer on X-rite website that the device is not capable to profile backlit media.

Thank You

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast