+ Reply to Thread

Thread: profile fail

Junior Member wangbu is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

profile fail

Hi guys i just want to ask help if anybody experience color profile problem in mimaki jv33-160?

The problem is that the artwork is supposed to be gray in color but it ouputed/printed redish in color, its always the gray, what went wrong we already check everything from the ink head to device profile (inkset ss21 CMYKLcLm, Media GPVC [441] v3 . pls help tnx..
    Last edited by wangbu; 04-09-2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: grammar

Junior Member wangbu is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    sorry guys i found out the that is in our ambient light room light that coz gray color to redish shade. I notice when I open the window the light coming from the sun hit the canvas (artwork) and it turn gray color.

Junior Member AlexG is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wangbu View Post
    sorry guys i found out the that is in our ambient light room light that coz gray color to redish shade. I notice when I open the window the light coming from the sun hit the canvas (artwork) and it turn gray color.
    This effect is commonly known as metamerism. It's not a 100% right to use this word to define this issue, but people usually use it.
    To make this effect lower you can try to create printer's icc profile with as hard GCR as possible. In terms of iProfiler it's either Heavy+ or Max GCR, in terms of ProfileMaker it's either GCR4 or Max GCR. In both cases black should start from 0%, black width should be 80-90%.
    In such case you will get printout of gray objects with a big amount of black ink with a smell addition of color inks, so the gray balance will be more stable.

marek01m
    GCR amount is always a puzzle to me. What do you get with more black than CMY gray (GCR3)? Isn't then the printout more grainy in gray tones?

Junior Member AlexG is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marek01m View Post
    GCR amount is always a puzzle to me. What do you get with more black than CMY gray (GCR3)? Isn't then the printout more grainy in gray tones?
    GCR3 is not a CMY gray. It's a somewhere between medium to high GCR.

Yes, it can be more grainy. But it depends on the printing head. Let's say on Epson printers x800, x880, x900 and GS6000 you will almost not see this grainy. It's possible to use very hard GCR (even Max) with these printers. So it's like a searching of optimum between GCR and visual smoothness.
    As for me, I'm always trying to reach as high GCR as possible. It make the printout gray balance more stable and can save some inks also.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexG For This Useful Post:

Wolraad

Photo Spectrometer

Its unnecessary to get your photo spectrometer calibrated every couple of years. If you have a constant shift towards a certain color check it out by comparing your readings with that of a second or even third spectrometer form a friend or technician.

Also keep in mind that CMY combination can never give pure grey. You can get close but it will be very hard to get it exactly there. It has to do with ink manufacturing pigment choices. Example: magenta pigment is close but not pure "pantone" 100% Magenta. There is no good single pigment that is 100% magenta and that will survive UV radiation, has a good price etc etc...

Junior Member Varick is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    You need re-profile your printer. You print via RasterLink? Install your printer as Mimaki JV 33 SP160 and use original profile from installation disc.

+ Reply to Thread