+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Offset printing color problem

I think they must be recalibrate monitor until the output (i mean the DTP machine), and dont use lcd monitor

Junior Member vyktors is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    You need to calibrate your monitor to at least 2 delta e, and then compare.

V.
    Last edited by vyktors; 11-27-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Junior Member TheMacMeKanik is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

RE: Your color printing problem

Quote Originally Posted by rcespedido View Post
    may color on my pc doesnt match the color i print. what should i do?
    First of all most printers are set for Adobe Photoshop 1.8 GAMMA setting. For a Mac monitor especially. Ummm. PCs' are usually set at a a 2.2 Gamma setting which is optimized for online GAMING. And NOT for printing. 2.2 Gamma usually produces colors that are out of gamut. Meaning to produce those certain colors, you need to backlight them or some other Lighted solution because just paper alone cannot produce such vibrancy in certain colors. That is why usually the Adobe print industry standard sets the Gamma standard at 1.8. Also Edit all of your photos and files in RGB mode, But only convert to CMYK mode at the very end to get best results. RGB cannot reproduce true black. Kind of a dark grey. But file size is way smaller to edit and work with. When you convert your file to CMYK it will become much larger. That is why you want to work in RGB mode and convert at the very end to CMYK. You will not lose any definition working in RGB mode in Photoshop[ or any other photo editing app. Just make sure it is minimum of 300 DPI (Dots per inch) for Printing usage, But I would usually work at that resolution or 600 DPI at least, and then at the end Convert the file size to 300 DPI for print or 72 DPI for web publishing. Web DPI is pretty much just 72 DPI, for speed of loading and file download size. But for printing usage definitely do no go less that 300 DPI. Otherwise your text will start to staircase.. Like looking like ladders. If it is only a picture with no Text, then maybe you can get away with a little lower resolution. Good luck! =o) I have Been working with high end printing companies for over 27 years now. Most of my accounts are Major print companies. Just try the 1.8 Gamma with Adobes' Gamma software and your prints will be much better. If you need high end color matching, My friend Has the hardware + software that sucks on to the monitor and you can totally dial in color correction to almost perfect. but that will cost you a lot of money. 1.8 Gamma setting will pretty much get you very close to what you are looking for. Take Care. =o)

Junior Member paro5340 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    To see correct color it is important to make not only monitor calibration, but also process linearisation and process calibration of the printing press. It is very tricky and unfortunately unstable process...

Junior Member Metameric is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Lightbulb Ambient light

Calibrating the monitor is very important, but if you don't match the color temperature of the monitor with the environment where you look at the printed sample, it's inutile.
    You need a light booth or, at least, to replace the room lamps to achieve 5000-5500 Kelvin degrees.
    Metamerism is out there ...

Donor awaddon is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    There are so many variables to this question it is untrue!, Many have been discussed here and I would agree with some, first of all not all monitors can be calibrated!, second, all monitors will display different (even if they are the same model). Macs have a basic calibration tool which gives you a ball park profile (if you're lucky), If you can get hold of an 'eye one' or 'eye1' with the software it has a pretty good tool which produces a profile by placing it on you monitor, but some monitors don't even show even colour across the screen, TFT/LCD monitors come in different technologies and therefore give different appearances, for instance:

TN (Twisted Nematic) technology which are the cheap types, will change colour as you tilt it or if you move your head up and down or side to side as you are looking at it! these screens generally have a backlit source near the top of the screen which is why the colour is not uniform across the whole monitor.

MVA (Multi-domain Vertical Alignment) screens are a lot better, good if you are on a bit of a budget but still want good colour (not perfect, but hey, you're on a budget remember!) some can be calibrated and most come with a pretty good built in profile.

The best and most expensive are IPS (In Plane Switching) monitors, These give the best colour consistency, and most if not all are able to be calibrated accurately.

see this link for more info, I know its from 2006, but it gives you the general idea:
    http://www.computeractive.co.uk/pcw/pc-help/1920553/tft-technology

I have been working at a litho printers for 14 years and have been visiting designers and marketing companies design studios all along and even with monitor technology as it is today, I have yet to see a perfect match from a monitor to a press sheet, even changing to a different paper alone can drastically alter the colour on the press, you can not select a silk paper or a matt paper setting on your screen, the number of times we have had customers complaining that "It didn't look like that on my screen", then I have to explain that it will differ on my screen to your screen and it will print different on the laser printer and different on your deskjet ..blah blah blah.... the most fundamental drawback is that all monitors are backlit and the coloured light comes through the monitor and into your eyes, whereas a press sheet is front lit where the rooms ambient light reflects onto the sheet and back into your eyes, different ambient lights will make the sheet look different and to that end you'll never get a matching screen colour to a press sheet, you can only get it close regardless of what gamma setting you are using, on top of that every person will see the same colour slightly different.

We have just spent a couple of thousand getting an "ICC Profile, colour expert" in to try to make all our machines match in colour, including Litho, Large format pigment based, Large Format UV and Digital Xerox Machines, but as they are all different types of printing using different inks, drying and curing methods, papers etc. they still do not match 100%, but they are pretty close and we are happy with it.

In my opinion, If you are yourself or have a customer that is so fussy about colour accuracy that you would need to spend thousands on a monitor that by all accounts
    will not give significant better colour to one that will cost a few hundred, then surely they should be paying thousands for the privilege of your print services and spending hundreds on hard copy proofs and wet proofs, if not... then most average joes will be pretty happy with a soft proof or even a hard copy proof off a calibrated proofer (press matched of course).

Sorry for the long post!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to awaddon For This Useful Post:

Donor flexofanatic is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    There is calibration devices that you can place onto your screen with diagnostic software to adjust your screen to get close to print colour. RGB & CMYK are 2 different mediums. First make sure your colour management on your workflow is set correctly.

Junior Member Heinrich is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Color problem.

At first,
    u have to calibrate your offset press for ISO 12647-2.
    After calibration, LCD/CRT is simple to calibrate :)

Banned alengatdula is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Between your monitor and final prints, there are important "in-betweeners". Things that you may consider to understand in matching color:

1. Monitor calibration
    2. Color management workflow in file creation and preparation.
    3. Calibration in pre-press
    4. Calibration in the press.

Junior Member Albertwarren is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Offset printer is quit differ from the desktop printer..There are minor difference that differentiate both of them is specially colors of ink and the way the ink is placed on the paper. This problem can only be removed by restart the printer or changing cartridges drum settings. I think you first check out in control panel and reinstall the drivers again hope it works. For more information about printing check link here: http://www.northport-printing.com/label-printing-services.html

12. Your ad here

Junior Member PsychoSquare is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Monitor Choice?

i Am a graphic designer in South Africa and i haven't got a clue on what monitors would display true colour, is there any particular one that you guys would recommend? because my manager obviously sees what she wants on screen but is never fully happy with the print, even when we use colour bibles..

Banned DoubleOZiggy is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    As I am sure it has been mentioned, calibrate your monitor using your ICC profile.

Junior Member adsfigo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    It is all matter of opinion. There are so many variables from the printer mixing the same amount of ink each time (when spot colour printing), if the paper has been exposed and not sealed correctly… you can go on all day with the variables.

Banned antonino76 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Pdf

Many printing problems are not derived from the icc profiles but from poor management pdf ... For example, embedded profiles in the files, converted to CMYK colors in RGB or otherwise.

Banned maeiwill is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

hi

you had to read more

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast