+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: No Color Management option is missing in Photoshop CS5

Junior Member 123illustrator is on a distinguished road 123illustrator's Avatar
    Thanks

No Color Management option is missing in Photoshop CS5

hello everyone
    I want to print a calibration test pattern from Photoshop CS5, and here I am really surprised ! i don't find the "no color management" option !!!

So Photoshop CS5, no longer knows how to print without managing colors ?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 123illustrator For This Useful Post:

PRC Member r00tp will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 123illustrator View Post
    I want to print a calibration test pattern from Photoshop CS5, and here I am really surprised ! i don't find the "no color management" option !!!
    Use [URL="http://adobe.ly/9IZNQu"]Adobe Color Printer Utility[/URL] instead.
    Last edited by r00tp; 08-13-2011 at 12:21 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r00tp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ohhhh ! I think the engineers at Adobe have forgotten this option !!! and instead to publish an update, thy have developed this kind of Utility ;) ...
    Thanx :)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 123illustrator For This Useful Post:

Junior Member michel is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

they did not forget

printing with no color management is not so easy. since photoshop 4 it was very difficult to get good profiles, especially on a Macintosh with newer systems. they had to work pretty hard on this "simple" program. i dare you to show me ONE person that fully understands all the color management option in windows 7.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yes they did not forget, the same options is not available in the other soft of adobe, cs5 of curse (indesign, illustrator..) :)...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 123illustrator For This Useful Post:

Junior Member zombies is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Patch in CMYK or RGB without profile or CMS have no color.
    Print driver don't know what color must be printed.
    For printer calibration feasible use special software with embeded patches, that have color description in XYZ or L a b

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zombies For This Useful Post:

aaron125
    There is an extremely easy work-around for this... just assign (NOT convert) a profile to your target chart, such as sRGB, AdobeRGB, ProPhoto RGB, whateverRGB & then in the Print dialog, select Photoshop Manages Colors & choose the same profile you assigned to your target chart.

Example: Assign sRGB to your target chart, using relative no black point compensation & in the print dialog select sRGB again with relative intent, no BPC. What this is doing is a null-transform, Ps is trying to convert from sRGB - sRGB which effectively does nothing as they are both the same profile, therefore nothing changes in your target chart's pixel values.

So just remember, assign anyRGB relative uncheck BPC & in print dialog Ps Manages & choose the same profile you assigned, again using relative intent uncheck BPC.

At least this way we can use the full layout capabilities of Ps instead of that awful Adobe utility.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aaron125 For This Useful Post:

Nemesis
    ^

It is called Null Transform. With that trick you can print untagged target as is and in printer driver just turn off color management.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nemesis For This Useful Post:

PRC Member Tony14 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    r00tp is right!

The way to print out without any color management with Photoshop CS5 is to use Adobe ACPU that you can download [URL="http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/834/cpsid_83497.html"]here[/URL]

Hope that helps

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony14 For This Useful Post:

aaron125

I've heard of trick questions, is this a trick answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony14 View Post
    r00tp is right!

The way to print out without any color management with Photoshop CS5 is to use Adobe ACPU that you can download [URL="http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/834/cpsid_83497.html"]here[/URL]

Hope that helps
    ummm.... If you print something using the Adobe Print Utility, you aren't printing with Photoshop anymore. So, I'm a bit lost as to how one can "print out without any color management with Photoshop CS5" if they aren't actually using Ps CS5 to do said printing?

20. Your ad here

21. The Following User Says Thank You to aaron125 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @aaron125: Yes, you are right. I've provided a link to Adobe website explaining the color management situation with Adobe Photoshop CS5:

The option for No Color Management is no longer listed in the Color Handling pop-up menu in the Photoshop CS5 Print dialog box. Use the Adobe Color Printer Utility application to print your targets without color management applied.
    and the question is:

So Photoshop CS5, no longer knows how to print without managing colors ?
    My point was just to say: look, there is a clear and official response to your question. If you want to print out a characterization chart, you should use this "tool" offers by Adobe... The tool itself is just open and print out without any colormanagement. Therefore, you should see it as a free and official solution for characterization purpose.

Sorry if my previous message make you confused.

Bye!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony14 For This Useful Post:

Junior Member huanun is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    adobe Why turn this off? What used to be very convenient to do with it icc profile for digital proofing.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to huanun For This Useful Post:

aaron125
    You are being too serious, I was just having a laugh, not trying to say you are wrong or anything.

Regarding Ps CS5, I've never liked that Adobe printing util since the very first time I tried it, went straight back to Ps. There is no preview, no page setup, rotation, resizing, whatever. I always resize my i1 targets before printing, to save paper & also to make the scanning take less time.

Many times I have read or been instructed to never resize a target made for an i1Pro as the i1 needs a certain size patch for correct patch detection, blah blah. Well, it is 100% absolutely false! I always resize any target before printing/measuring so that I may save paper, ink & also time as the measurements can be scanned in less time

Also, it is always said that the best method when profiling is to follow the exact same printing procedure as will be used when producing the final output on the media which is being profiled. If the target is printed from the Adobe Utility but the final output is printed from Ps then the profile is not actually correct as it will be a profile of the Adobe Utility, not Ps.

It is for these reasons that I do not recommend the use of the Adobe Utility & continue to perform all printing & profiling with Ps CS5.1.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to aaron125 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hello aaron125,

The point is that you cannot print out from Photoshop CS5 without Color Management. Therefore, if you try to output your characterization target, it will be color managed with something...

ACPU allows you to ouput without colormanagement and thus get a correct ICC profile of your printer, then you will use this profile as "printer profile" in Photoshop CS5 and it will work very well.

Indeed, it's recommended to follow the same print procedure = same settings (resolution/paper stock) in order to get the same colorimetric result at the end.

You can use the same printing procedure (ACPU) and get similar result if you convert your image first with your printer ICC profile then print this colormanaged image with ACPU.

But the main idea with Photoshop CS5 is to let you used some color working spaces and print out easily via the Print Menu:

Adobe98/sRGB/ECI-RGBv2/ISOCoated v2/etc. => Printer Profile (+Rendering intent) (created via ACPU)

It makes sense.

Concerning resizing targets... I don't know how small are your targets after and how efficient it is to resize them (do you save a lot of paper??) but for sure, there are many limitations to do so... the target may not be read of course, and you should bare in mind the aperture of the device... it's not because you get measurements that mean they are accurate. From 6mm to 4mm, studies show there is no measurement difference... below 4mm... I would not say the same...
    If you print with Inkjet hi-speed press, having very small patch can lead you to get some scum dots on other patches due to the hi-speed. You have much more chance to get them on the patch borders rather than in the middle of the patch... and of course, more your patches are small, more the borders are close to the middle... it's just an example and I invite you to try and realize that by yourself! :) don't hesitate yo use a magnifier !

bye

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony14 For This Useful Post:

Angen
    can you choose from Bridge?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Angen For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast