+ Reply to Thread

Thread: newbie question.Dell U2413 24-inch monitor for Soft Proofing

Junior Member gnomon123 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

newbie question.Dell U2413 24-inch monitor for Soft Proofing

it is posible use a Dell U2413 24-inch monitor for Soft Proofing a offset press?
    his color specifications are:
    Color Gamut (typical): Adobe RGB 99%, sRGB 100% and 120% (CIE 1976)

Sorry for my poor English

PRC Member ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Theoretically, it's possible to use it for critical color comparison.
    Despite this model is factory calibrated, I'd recommend to perform calibration and then to check the results using, for example, BabelColor PatchTool ([URL="http://www.babelcolor.com/download/AN-4a%20Using%20PatchTool%20for%20IDEAlliance%20MONIT OR%20proofing%20certification.pdf"]IDEAlliance MONITOR proofing certification[/URL]).
    It's a time consuming test (measuring 1716 patches takes a few hours) but it will give you an objective info regarding soft-proofing accuracy against choosed print process.
    Cheers,
    CW

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ColorWizard For This Useful Post:

Junior Member gnomon123 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Theoretically ?

Quote Originally Posted by ColorWizard View Post
    Theoretically, it's possible to use it for critical color comparison.
    Despite this model is factory calibrated, I'd recommend to perform calibration and then to check the results using, for example, BabelColor PatchTool ([URL="http://www.babelcolor.com/download/AN-4a%20Using%20PatchTool%20for%20IDEAlliance%20MONIT OR%20proofing%20certification.pdf"]IDEAlliance MONITOR proofing certification[/URL]).
    It's a time consuming test (measuring 1716 patches takes a few hours) but it will give you an objective info regarding soft-proofing accuracy against choosed print process.

please explain to me. do you refer at the fact that the monitor is a rgb device ? o it's another issue involved?
    i use a i1pro with the profiler software for the monitor calibrations

PRC Member ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomon123 View Post
    please explain to me. do you refer at the fact that the monitor is a rgb device ? o it's another issue involved?
    i use a i1pro with the profiler software for the monitor calibrations
    'Theoretically', because until recently, Dell has never produced a pro-grade monitors for color critical work. In accordance with the marketing information, its a new 24 inch monitor has a possibility to become a pro-grade:
    • pseudo 10-bit panel;
    • 14-bit internal LUT;
    • new type of wide-gamut GB-LED (Green and blue diodes + red phosphor) backlighting;
    • uniformity compensation;
    • factory calibrated;
    Taking into account the recent review of this monitor ([URL="http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2413.htm"]tftcentral[/URL]) and my experience with Dell monitors, I'd not recommend to rely on factory calibration. In order to be sure, that you've got an example that is able to meet demanding requirements for soft proofing, IMHO, the better way is:
    • to perform monitor (hardware) calibration. The only way to access internal LUT-table of this model is to use X-rite i1DisplayPro colorimeter with the Dell UltraSharp Color Calibration Solution software. Until now there is no other way to perform hardware calibration.
    • to check the calibration results with Ugra Display Analysis and Certification Tool. The latest version 2 allows you to perform panel uniformity test using 25 points in accordance to ISO 14861.
    • to check the soft-proofing accuracy in accordance to requirements of IDEAlliance proofing certification program. BabelColor PatchTool has a tool to perform such a test. As I stated in my previous post its a time consuming and informative test which allows you to get an objective information about accuracy of soft proofing.
    If you will be a lucky enough, you will get an example of Dell U2413 with a quite good uniformity ([URL="http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713h.htm"]uniformity compensation of U2713 does not perform as it should be[/URL]). It's not possible to predict if this model will meet the tight tolerances of IDEAlliance Proofing Certification program but it would be very interesting to know.

All of the above applies to soft-proof systems without viewing booth! Monitor calibration for simultaneous comparison with a hard-copy is much more complicated.
    Cheers,
    CW

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ColorWizard For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread